Nitro hemi tech question (1 Viewer)

LoPony

Nitro Member
Noticed something interesting on Clay Millican’s car. On the heads, there are dual injectors for each cylinder inside the valve covers. The steel lines from the fuel rail to the injector nozzles are crossed for each cylinder, i.e., the left port on the rail is plumbed to the right injector nozzle and vice versa. Obviously, this is done for a reason. Wondering what that reason was. Is it for strength, somehow?

Thanks for clarification.

Chad is correct. The lines cross to clear the spark plug tubes. Every car has them The nozzles go directly into the intake port just above the valve, not into the cylinder.

I did a video about fuel systems that is on NHRA's Facebook you should be able to find. I'd post a link, but I'm not on FB.

Alan

Years ago the sprint cars started running the down nozzles in the heads. I was driving the Landlord top alky dragster and we put them in the Donavon and they worked great. I told my friend Dale Armstrong who was running the Bud King T/FD that they need to do the same on the T/FD he said he didn't think it would work. the next year I went to Indy, went into Dale's pit, BINGO there they were on the Bud King, I said Dale I thought you said it wouldn't work. he said he didn't think it would but you will never see one of his cars without them.
RIP--My good buddy Dale Armstrong you were the best ever.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter🤠

PS; Yes now everyone has them. follow the leader LOL

Last edited:
Chad is correct. The lines cross to clear the spark plug tubes. Every car has them The nozzles go directly into the intake port just above the valve, not into the cylinder.

I did a video about fuel systems that is on NHRA's Facebook you should be able to find. I'd post a link, but I'm not on FB.

Alan
Very good to hear from you, Alan, and thanks for responding to my post (and others on this forum!).

Best -

the down nozzles also have a spring and check ball in each one set to 25lbs so they open when u step on the gas .
they dont do anything on idle.
That is incorrect only one in each cylinder has a check they are known as run nozzles as apposed to the ones without which are idle nozzles. Ideally set between 25 to 30 lbs but could very depending on spring I have brand new springs that push that as high as 40.

That is incorrect only one in each cylinder has a check they are known as run nozzles as apposed to the ones without which are idle nozzles. Ideally set between 25 to 30 lbs but could very depending on spring I have brand new springs that push that as high as 40.
You are both correct... it depends on how any particular crew chief want to do it. Some heads are both with idle in the manifold. Some are 1 of each with the manifold being the second port check. Some have taken it further to have heads all the same nozzle, both checked and added a second nozzle to the manifold to trim either the run or idle fuel in one location thus not having to keep a large supply of jets and lessen error possibilities.

It's been almost 20 years since I worked on fuel cars, so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
I "believe", when you see a fuel car doing a burn-out, and one or two cylinders are wet, it's because
one of those check springs in the run nozzles is weak, allowing extra fuel into the cylinder.

I'm a far cry from a guy that services or has a chance to see a computer screen with the graph but, When they are doing a burnout, The motor is unloaded. Thusfore, The amount of fuel going into the Engine isn't burnt. Perfect example would be starting line or half track when they are running the clutch setup aggressive and the tires break loose, What do you see? raw fuel because the motor lost the load of the tires.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back