NHRA Responded to my Letter to Them... (1 Viewer)

farmje

Nitro Member
You can read about the letter that I submitted to the NHRA here.

Here is the response that I received from the NHRA.

Mr. Farmer,

We appreciate your comments and well-thought out and articulate note regarding the state of NHRA. Everyone has an opinion, which we respect, and this note is not intended to sway your position on the state of NHRA. With that said, and as I am sure you can appreciate, there are always to sides to every story.

The "show" both for viewers at home as well as those in the stands has improved dramatically in the last ten years. Oil down rules onsite have significantly reduced the length of the show, tech rules have created more parity in the sport where teams both big and small have a legitimate shot at winning a race and, as seen last year, championships. Granted costs to attend a race have increased, but only slightly in the last two years. Prior to that, there were no ticket price increases for several years. In fact, recent independent research on fan satisfaction ranks NHRA highest among all sports properties, including NASCAR, IRL, MLB, NFL, etc. The research firm has indicated that we have attained figures never heard of in fan satisfaction at an event. With the action on the track, the open pit environment -- which will remain a staple of NHRA, the Nitro Alley interactive displays and NHRA's Manufacturer's Midway, no other sport can offer the kind of entertainment that NHRA provides.

In terms of Bristol, I would argue a little unfair comparison given it was raining and we were running the finals -- live -- on ESPN2 at 10 p.m. at night. Only a few brave souls were willing to stay with us from 11 a.m. on Sunday morning until the final pair nearly 12 hours later and after multiple rain delays. When watching the show on Saturday, I am sure you saw a quite different setting. Much the same as the crowds in Topeka the following week and the crowds in Chicago just this past weekend. Attendance, in 2008, is holding its own, either flat or slightly up at every national event despite the tough economic times facing our nation.

Finally, and specific to the nitromethane issue and "poor planning," there is much, much more to the story than what might be told on the online press and television. No amount of planning could have anticipated a major supplier opting to stop selling nitromethane to NHRA's supplier on site. Nor, could one know that China would choose to stop the flow during the summer months. The relationship between teams and NHRA is very strong and we work with them all on a day-to-day basis to make the sport better.

Again, I'd be happy to continue the dialogue further if you so desire. You are important to NHRA. As our the 24 others that don't send emails. Either way, we try to respond to all of them. It is called customer service. Things can always be better and I assure you that everyone here at NHRA and every team is doing everything they can to build and grow the sport.

In the future, if you want discuss further issues, don't hesitate to send me an email directly at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from you and again, thanks for the comments. They are heard.

Sincerely,

Jerry Archambeault
NHRA

Jeremy.........Do you think they would have responded if your letter wasn't posted in several different areas on the web?

Late.........Mitch

Nice to see that you got a response instead of dead silence. At least we know there's one person who maybe cares about what is going on with NHRA and it's fans.
Thanks for posting the reply for all to read.

FLASH

I gotta say, that was a pretty good letter, and I'm glad to see you received a response, particularly one that wasn't some sort of form letter.

I am impressed that you received a response. I have never heard from my letters/emails (both positive and negative) and I had one that was posted all over the net as well. Maybe its a new approach, I may not agree with everything he stated, but that they took the time to listen and respond does show something and thats good.

I think it's pretty nice they responded. Your letter was well written and well thought out. You obviously struck a cord with them for that kind of response. It looks like they are interested in what people think and it's nice to see.

Dave

Is this someone who has been with the NHRA for very long, or is this the new damage control pr firm, hope it's someone thats been there for awhile

He's been there for awhile. When espn did an article on the countdown and the petition he was the nhra voice in it. Not sure how long he's been there prior to that

I think they responded well to your letter (IMHO: The key points are appended BELOW). Like so many of us you expressed well a general concern about the future of our sport.

They answered when - in an earlier day - they may have round-filed it. That - on it's own - is encouraging.

>>>>There is much to be said about businesses taking care of their customers. As a customer of the NHRA, I am saddened and sickened with what I am seeing. Nitro shortages. Lack of planning. Lack of being willing to work with other people. Increase of ticket prices. Increase of managements salaries. And the seeming absence of answers.<<<

It is absolutely fantastic that they responded, and with a letter as thoughtful and personal as yours was to initiate the conversation. Good for NHRA. But with respect to:
Nor, could one know that China would choose to stop the flow during the summer months.

I respectfully disagree. As early as last November, when there were complaints from athletes about the smog, China was planning on shutting down these factories. Here's an article from the International Herald Tribune in December that discusses it: China's Olympic goal: Turn smoggy sky blue. And of course there were people like DonS and the folks at the IHRA that saw this coming long ago and did something about it. Clearly VP wasn't on the ball here.

I understand the revenue reasons for wanting an "official fuel supplier" but it seems just incredibly short-sighted for the NHRA to have only one vendor for the lifeblood fluid of the sport.

Last edited:
...I understand the revenue reasons for wanting an "official fuel supplier" but it seems just incredibly short-sighted for the NHRA to have only one vendor for the lifeblood fluid of the sport.
Especially one that neither produces the fuel or has a guaranteed/uninterruptible supply agreement with a producer.

It's not unusual for NHRA to respond to well thought out letters that are not inflammatory. The response Jeremy got is typical... "thanks for your letter and concern, things are better than they were, and we can't be blamed for the situation."

I think what is exhibited in Jerry's response is still a lack of real acknowledgement that if one fan's perception warrants the type of letter Jeremy sent, what must the rest of the fans really be thinking about the organization and the way things are going. Jeremy's letter didn't intimate any dissatisfaction with drag racing in general. It dealt specifically with his concerns about the way it is being managed by NHRA.

The Biggest complaint I hear bar none is the cost of tickets for families! Back in the 90's NHRA used to give 2 free kids tickets per every Gen. admission ticket purchased! Why they discontinued that is anyone's guess, but it made the cost for a family of 4 to attend a day at the track FAR more expensive!

The family price is big. I just bought 4 tickets for my family for $30 to an IHRA race, granted that was a special deal but they usually sell a family pack 2 adult and 2 kids for $60. I can barely get my self in to an NHRA race for that.

I respectfully disagree. As early as last November, when there were complaints from athletes about the smog, China was planning on shutting down these factories. Here's an article from the International Herald Tribune in December that discusses it: China's Olympic goal: Turn smoggy sky blue. And of course there were people like DonS and the folks at the IHRA that saw this coming long ago and did something about it. Clearly VP wasn't on the ball here.
You are correct. I'm a pyrotechnician and the fireworks industry has known for almost a year that all hazmat shipments from all ports in China would be halted the month prior to thru the month after the Olympics . At Disneyland we have imported enough product (stored in secure and ATF approved off site bunkers, not at the park) to get us thru the dry spell.

VP should have gotten the low down on the halted shipments from their exporters in China and taken similar measures to ensure a nonstop flow of product.

Family ticket prices too much?
You've got to be kidding:
Friday Child admission $10., Saturday $12. and Sunday $15.
You can't take a kid to a minor league ballpark for THAT kind of money.

Criminy gas and tolls cost more.

PS: For a day's entertainment (I usually go only on Friday), NHRA is an awfully good value.

PS: The Nitro SNAFU is unforgivable. In the real world (not the not-for-profit one, heads would roll)

Jeremy.........Do you think they would have responded if your letter wasn't posted in several different areas on the web?

Late.........Mitch

Mitch,

As much as I'd like to think so...no, I don't.

I've been told by several credible people (there's that word again) that several team owners read my letter and said it hit the nail on the head. So, I don't know if that added any pressure. There's much that goes on behind the scenes that I as the average fan have no clue about.

I'm glad someone responded to it. I dont understand the ticket price issue though. Compared to other sports, NHRA is a bargin. Everything else is correct though. The whole nitro situation is absolutely pathetic and uncalled for.

No amount of planning could have anticipated a major supplier opting to stop selling nitromethane to NHRA's supplier on site.

By this does NHRA mean Wego Chemical or DSR or ???

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back