NHRA Majors! (1 Viewer)

What you guys are forgetting is, if tracks could make money booking in nitro cars, they would. If divisional directors could get sponsors for their events, they would. Neither of those things are happening now ... it would be perilous to change the entire structure of drag racing counting on BOTH of those things to happen.

You guys talk about backyard mechanics and the little guy, isn't that supposed to be the nostalgia funny car movement? Well guess what ... those guys are already complaining it's too expensive and they can't run for what the tracks can pay. And the funny car count was down at the March Meet, the biggest event of the year.

I say do away with the Countdown, reduce it to 20 National Events, make 4 majors that get double points and money but make sure they are spread out evenly on the calendar and geographically as possible, with Indy still the crown jewel ... and tighten up the TV package!

Bader makes money on the night of fire and he books 8 fc's in.

I know Wilkerson and Cruz among others have matched race in past years (pre testing rule). Doesn't Schu normally hit the World Series? I would think they all make money. It can be done. The testing rule has really hurt the match race circuit. That combined with the amount of NHRA races makes it difficult for teams to match race. I think it would be a great way to take a smaller version of the big show to more parts of the USA and Canada.

I think if you reduce the number of events, you would also further reduce the liklihood of anyone besides DSR/JFR winning a race. The bigger teams are always better prepared.

You coming up for the Divisional this weekend or National next weekend Martin?

Out with Rundgren right now... Will be flying back to Tucson on that Sat. and Cassie says she wants to go to eliminations, so maybe :)

Personally, I like the idea of having a major, or even a few majors. And I agree with the races/locations discussed - Pomona, Gainesville, Englishtown & Indy. If NHRA only wanted one major (NASCAR has one, IndyCar has one), it would definitely have to be Indy.

That said, if you're going to have a major, then it should be different. I've brought up this idea in the past without much success, but I'll bring it up again anyway.

Since Indy is a five day event and most of us agree that a 32 car field would be difficult - though not impossible, particularly at Indy - it should be DOUBLE POINTS, DOUBLE ELIMINATIONS, and it should be THE LAST RACE BEFORE THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS.

Think of the pre-race build-up for teams who, in the past, were out of reach of the final playoff spot, but now have to be eliminated twice & can earn double points to get in. Does Cruz get in two years ago when Force blew the hides off against Hight because he has a chance to earn more points in the loser's bracket (ladder)?

Obviously the idea would need to be ironed out, but as many have said, if you're going to have a major - make it a MAJOR! Daytona is extended over a two week period, or so. The Indy 500 is damn near a month long! What I'm proposing wouldn't extend the race any more, but it would give sponsors more exposure and it would make Indy bigger and better than every other race during the season - which is what Indy deserves.

Last edited:
Martin,

I totally agree with your thoughts. I think if people are allowed to choose their own destiny it fosters innovation and we all know that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I think that cost containment should the number one priority of the NHRA. The idea that the big boys are more prepared does not wash with me. That means to me that Richmond, VCU, and Butler should not stand a chance against Duke, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Florida, et al. But if given the opportunity the small guys can prevail given the opportunity to compete. They don't have compete against the big boys all season long.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back