NHRA Announces Changes To Oildown And In-Season Testing Policies (1 Viewer)

Here's a question. I know the reason why concrete was considered a better surface for drag racing 25yrs ago, but when the standard NHRA practice is to spray VHT glue down the whole 1000' (gosh, almost said quarter mile, tsk! tsk!), doesn't it really come down to ease of repair versus longevity of flatness? And it ceases to be so much about adhesion performance?

Last edited:
Here's a question. I know the reason why concrete was considered a better surface for drag racing 25yrs ago, but when the standard NHRA practice is to spray VHT glue down the whole 1000' (gosh, almost said quarter mile, tsk! tsk!), doesn't it really come down to ease of repair versus longevity of flatness? And it ceases to be so much about adhesion performance?

No, even with the best track prep in the world, you notice a difference. Especially in hot weather. Concrete doesn't give like asphalt when confronted with the forces of the tires gripping and pushing, not to mention asphalt paving has oil in it, which can play hell with getting rubber prep to stick to it, even with VHT.

The thing that has changed is they aren't spraying the tracks as hard as they used to anymore. The rubber application is just so much better now, stays thinner and stronger so you don't have to spray as much because the rubber surface is smoother and stronger. Too much VHT can be a very bad thing and can make a bad track scarier. Most national event racetracks last year when the track was under 130 degrees, sucked my soul out through the bottom of my feet with very little spray.

If CC's would tune the motors withing the limits of the equipment there would be no need for them in the first place.

Along with a whole lot of other rules of the past decade or two.

Bad things are going to happen to engine parts whenever Nitro is involved. Valves drop, rockers break, ignitions/plugs misfire and holes drop. Just a matter of when.. Even if the motor is turded up or limited by other means.

Bad things are going to happen to engine parts whenever Nitro is involved. Valves drop, rockers break, ignitions/plugs misfire and holes drop. Just a matter of when.. Even if the motor is turded up or limited by other means.

All true Justin, I just remember when we used to TRY not to blow stuff up rather than figure out how to contain the stuff that belongs in the pan and not on the racing surface.

That wasn't that long ago either.

No, even with the best track prep in the world, you notice a difference. Especially in hot weather. Concrete doesn't give like asphalt when confronted with the forces of the tires gripping and pushing, not to mention asphalt paving has oil in it, which can play hell with getting rubber prep to stick to it, even with VHT.

The thing that has changed is they aren't spraying the tracks as hard as they used to anymore. The rubber application is just so much better now, stays thinner and stronger so you don't have to spray as much because the rubber surface is smoother and stronger. Too much VHT can be a very bad thing and can make a bad track scarier. Most national event racetracks last year when the track was under 130 degrees, sucked my soul out through the bottom of my feet with very little spray.

Anytime you can eliminate a transition, you reduce bumps.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back