NHRA Announces Changes To Oildown And In-Season Testing Policies (1 Viewer)

Match racing is dead, has been dead a long time, it isn't coming back and has nothing to do with this rule change.

This rule change will allow teams to test on Mondays after national events on Safety Safari prepped tracks so they can collect viable/useful data without a points penalty, just like the teams want it.

Match racing is dead, has been dead a long time, it isn't coming back and has nothing to do with this rule change.

This rule change will allow teams to test on Mondays after national events on Safety Safari prepped tracks so they can collect viable/useful data without a points penalty, just like the teams want it.

Unless you're Bill Bader with Night Under Fire. The only Event that could even keep any match racing alive.

I'm not sure that lifting the testing restrictions does anything for the small teams or match racing. There's very little time for full-tour teams to race anywhere else, and what they would have to charge a track is very prohibitive. As far as the smaller teams, well, any team that has run a limited schedule in the past, has never really been limited on testing, since they really wouldn't care about points. Anybody agree/disagree? Sure does allow for a ton of extra seat time for the drivers who test on Mondays after national events.

I'm not sure that lifting the testing restrictions does anything for the small teams or match racing. There's very little time for full-tour teams to race anywhere else, and what they would have to charge a track is very prohibitive. As far as the smaller teams, well, any team that has run a limited schedule in the past, has never really been limited on testing, since they really wouldn't care about points. Anybody agree/disagree? Sure does allow for a ton of extra seat time for the drivers who test on Mondays after national events.
I think you are spot on.

You are dead wrong the match racing we do funds our car for the 10 to 12 races we do.

Bobby and Dom Lagana also do match races

Chris, there still is some match racing going on. But it is mostly the smaller budget teams that are doing it and they don't run for Nhra points anyway. The only larger budget teams that I can think of that still run a few match races is JFR, Pedregons, Head, and maybe Kalitta. If I have forgotten anyone I'm sure someone will let me know. I think the unlimited testing rule will probably benefit the large budget teams the most. I look for Mondays to start being very busy again for the big teams. It will definitely raise the cost of the large teams racing program again .:)

Last edited:
Eugene, that's kind of what I was thinking. Didn't the NHRA put the testing limits in place after the economy started collapsing 4-5 yrs ago? And I thought teams were saving a lot of money, who pushed to open the floodgates again? It seems each year, nitro racing makes less business sense than the year before...

Eugene, that's kind of what I was thinking. Didn't the NHRA put the testing limits in place after the economy started collapsing 4-5 yrs ago? And I thought teams were saving a lot of money, who pushed to open the floodgates again? It seems each year, nitro racing makes less business sense than the year before...
I don't know who pushed to open up testing, but I am a little surprised that Nhra has done it.

Last edited:
It wasn't so much the economy, it was the so-called 'shortage' of nitro due to VP's bungling. Schumacher had plenty of nitro and VP even tried to strong-arm him into selling it to them.

Chris, there still is some match racing going on. But it is mostly the smaller budget teams that are doing it and they don't run for Nhra points anyway. The only larger budget teams that I can think of that still run a few match races is JFR, Pedregons, Head, and maybe Kalitta. If I have forgotten anyone I'm sure someone will let me know. I think the unlimited testing rule will probably benefit the large budget teams the most. I look for Mondays to start being very busy again for the big teams. It will definitely raise the cost of the large teams racing program again .:)

So what you are saying is DSR is pretty much the only team not match racing. DSR was the team who asked for the limit on testing and match racing in the first place, right?

So what you are saying is DSR is pretty much the only team not match racing. DSR was the team who asked for the limit on testing and match racing in the first place, right?
I didn't see Lucas, Al-anabi, Bernstein, Tasca, or Vandergriff match racing in the last few years either, and I'm not 100% sure about Kalitta. I'm pretty sure there was more then just one owner wanting a testing rule. But I hope with this new change that we do get to see some more match racing though. But I'm not going to get to excited until I see it with my own eyes. Time will tell.

Last edited:
THe season before this went into effect, Cruz and Wilk matched raced alot. That was Wilk's best season.

I'm glad they made the change

THe season before this went into effect, Cruz and Wilk matched raced alot. That was Wilk's best season.

I'm glad they made the change
That's right PJ...I forgot about Wilk. Well, Nhra has opened the door, now we will have to just wait and see if some of these tracks will take advantage of it and come up with enough cash to book some of these cars.;)

Last edited:
I remember back in 2002 my local track inquired with Force about having him and Tony P for a match race. The price? $50k.

I recently heard that some of the small teams charge upwards of 15k. Some of the top Nostalgia cars are getting anywhere from $5-10k for 3 runs.

I remember back in 2002 my local track inquired with Force about having him and Tony P for a match race. The price? $50k.

I recently heard that some of the small teams charge upwards of 15k. Some of the top Nostalgia cars are getting anywhere from $5-10k for 3 runs.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back