Newbs in the stands quotes- BIR (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
Here is the top 5 newbie conversations I can remember.

Guy 1- "Is that John, or Ashley???"
Guy 2- "I'm pretty sure it's Ashley... yeah it's her"
Guy 1- "Ok OK"

---It was Mike Neff

#4 (John had just made a pass, and had his somewhat typical smoke out of the pipes at the other end)

Guy 1- "Oh, looks like John might have hurt the engine down there."
Guy 2- "No... That was tire smoke. If it was the engine, there would be fire"
Guy 1- "hmmm yeah you are right"

Guy 1- "These guys don't shift right?"
Guy 2- "No.. The transmission are like.....Automatic"
guy 1- "Ok ok"

Guy 1--"Yeah the Greek is old.. did you know he was at the first ever top fuel held race in 1968??"

Guy 1- "Who is in the top fuel final??? Antron and??"
Guy 2- "No.... Morgan Lucas and.... Alabam....Albey... The Taliban!!!!"

Last edited:
I pet peeve of mine is having to sit by newbs in the stands... :D People that don't know anything about anything trying to explain something to someone else that is totally wrong information... Here is the top 5 I can remember.

Guy 1- "Is that John, or Ashley???"
Guy 2- "I'm pretty sure it's Ashley... yeah it's her"
Guy 1- "Ok OK"

---It was Mike Neff

#4 (John had just made a pass, and had his somewhat typical smoke out of the pipes at the other end)

Guy 1- "Oh, looks like John might have hurt the engine down there."
Guy 2- "No... That was tire smoke. If it was the engine, there would be fire"
Guy 1- "hmmm yeah you are right"

Guy 1- "These guys don't shift right?"
Guy 2- "No.. The transmission are like.....Automatic"
guy 1- "Ok ok"

Guy 1--"Yeah the Greek is old.. did you know he was at the first ever top fuel held race in 1968??"

Guy 1- "Who is in the top fuel final??? Antron and??"
Guy 2- "No.... Morgan Lucas and.... Alabam....Albey... The Taliban!!!!"

I'm sure glad you didn't use any of my questions,my stomach still hurts from laughin.Did you ever find McLovin ha ha ha sorry ya missed today it was awsome

Gosh forbid we have NEW fans who don't quite know the sport in and out yet,but are helpin it grow!! Damn NeWbs!!:rolleyes:

I don't so much mind the newbs that are just oblivious..but they're trying. It's the guy that it's his 2nd time and knows absolutely everything..hehe!!

Whose responsibility is it to teach these people what's going on? NHRA.

<<Insert Chris's standard rant here...>>

If we had short videos that taught people about the sport (like how Nitro cars don't use a tranny, for example), they'd leave the day smarter than when they walked in -- instead of confused like those above. And gosh knows, we could all use less of the idiots screaming and shooting t-shirts into the crowd.

What a hilarious observation! Thats so funny because I had a similar experience this weekend with two guys on both sides of me. Don't get me wrong, they were still pretty hardcore fans - as in they put the money down and loved every minute of the racing, so I cant fault them for that.. but its funny that they are such big fans and were somewhat clueless...

The one guy was pissed off Friday after the first session, he said "I want my money back." I told him its the first session, and it's hot out, they will be better tonight. I said they are still just as loud up here at the start even if no one really made it all the way. He said how do you know they didn't make it all the way? I said the speeds are low, they should be around 280 or 290 at least. I heard him passing this information to some "newbies" sitting next to him in the second session (as if to show his vast knowledge of the racing). Then he reminded them that they were only running to the 1/8th mile... then I reminded him that they were in fact going to 1000 feet.... The kicker is he left before the runs got interesting Friday night... where we got "our money's worth"

The other guy said he was a fan of the Nitro Fish team. I asked him why? He said he liked the logo. OK, I guess thats a reason. He had a story about why he liked Johnny Gray and that how he had talked to him earlier in the week and said that he (Johnny) would be running Nitro Fish colors this weekend. I looked back at the Pro Stockers in the lanes and pointed to Johnny Gray and noticed he was in his plain colors car - he didn't have an answer as to why Johnny had lied to him - ? - Then he went on to say how bad Dave Connoly was because apparently at some point Dave ran the Nitro Fish car and didn't do to well (I dont know if this is true). I respectfully disagreed recalling how as I remember it, Dave was pretty damn good in that Charter car, and was pretty consistent on beating people off the line that year. He didn't talk much the rest of the day.

Whatever though, both guys, although somewhat clueless, were still fun to talk to. Just be sure of what your saying before you start talking to people...

Whose responsibility is it to teach these people what's going on? NHRA.

Yes, absolutely it's NHRA's (AND IHRA, AND ADRL) responsibility to reach out to new fans. I like the promo video idea - maybe set up a trailer in the pits as part of their "fan experience" with the simulators. Also, why not put in some articles in the race program explaining the classes (especially sportsman classes) and what to watch for.

Here's an idea I just had. Why doesn't the track appoint "racing ambassadors" to answer newbie's questions? These could be either long-term fans (track management should know who the regulars are), former racers or track employees. They would be identified with perhaps a special T-shirt/badge (maybe saying something like "ASK ME") and would be strategically placed in the stands, wandering the pits, etc.

Our local football team has something they call "Football 101" during their pre-game tailgate parties. It's a short presentation with several players explaining the rules of the game. It seems to work because even in a tough economy, our team still leads the league in attendance!

Actually I love the chance to educate the Newbs! It may entice them to come back, and this sport needs new fans!

I pre-briefed a newbie that was a BIR on Sunday. During several phone conversations yesterday and today, he said he enjoyed himself very much, and understood what was going on. And for a newbie, he also was impressed by Manzo, and did know the difference between The alky and Nitro cars...

And... he loves the Yellow Cloud.
And he's going back for MORE...

d'kid

I pet peeve of mine is having to sit by newbs in the stands... :D People that don't know anything about anything trying to explain something to someone else that is totally wrong information... Here is the top 5 I can remember.

Love the quotes, but it shouldn't have been a "pet Peeve" it should have been a chance for you to teach these people something about the sport. I'm of course assuming they weren't the know-it-all variety of fan.

In my hobby/profession of ham radio we place a big emphasis on what we call Elmering or being a newbies Elmer. Someone to teach the newbie all the things you can't lean but from experience. There is a lot to learn about the sport of drag racing and as a fan the only way you really learn it is by talking to people who know the sport or maybe reading a certain fairly knowledgeable web site.

Rather than just listening to and/or ignoring them in the stands engage them and offer your insights as to what is going on. They will probably appreciate it and who knows you may make a new friend in the process.

I've had fans buy me Beers because I explained stuff to them! Makes their experience more enjoyable, plus it's a good way to meet people. I'm sure 90% of newbie's love it when people explain to them what's going on! The Announcer's just don't have the time to explain every class everytime they are on the track.

When I have a newbie with me, I break them in right. I take them to the Kaltta pits for their first nitro warm-up. I have them stand right behind the car and tell them to breathe deep!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I`m sure the first race you attended, you were up on every facet of the race. God forbid someone new to the n.h.r.a, would ask a question. and that someone with just a couple races under thier belt, might get it wrong. I still have questions, I usually get them answered by a MATER. And I`m sure some of them seem lame to some. But most nitro fans enjoy passing on thier knowledge to others just starting out. Big heads abound on this board. Thank god thier still a minority. Mike.

I`m sure the first race you attended, you were up on every facet of the race. God forbid someone new to the n.h.r.a, would ask a question. and that someone with just a couple races under thier belt, might get it wrong. I still have questions, I usually get them answered by a MATER. And I`m sure some of them seem lame to some. But most nitro fans enjoy passing on thier knowledge to others just starting out. Big heads abound on this board. Thank god thier still a minority. Mike.

Lighten up!!!!!!:rolleyes: We love newbies!!!!!!!

When I have a newbie with me, I break them in right. I take them to the Kaltta pits for their first nitro warm-up. I have them stand right behind the car and tell them to breathe deep!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I was in Seattle and these two younger guys in their 20's were just hacking away after a warm-up. Turns out they had a contest to see who could stay at the ropes longer! I learned my lesson about that a long time ago, I setlle for a good wiff but that's it!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back