New NHRA Rules: TF/FC Throttle Stops? Sorta!! (1 Viewer)

DG

Nitro Member
From nhraracer.com new 2015 rule ammendments (same for TF):

SECTION 17: FUNNY CAR, ENGINE:1, THROTTLE (Page 4) (2/12/2015) Throttle control must be manually operated by driver’s foot: Electronics, pneumatics, hydraulics, or any other device may in no way affect the throttle operation. The following is an exception to this rule: In an effort to reduce oil downs, parameters that indicate eminent engine failure (e.g. pan pressure etc.) may be used to activate a system capable of pushing the throttle pedal to the closed position. All systems performing this type of function must be approved by the NHRA Technical Department . An NHRA-accepted mechanical device for controlling engine rpm during burnouts may be attached to the injector or throttle linkage but may not be driver controlled. See General Regulations 1:12.

Interesting!

I don't see any big deal with this. The first part about the driver operating the throttle 100% is a no brainer. I have heard some stuff about a certain driver that has some problems with their routine and has some systems in place to help the driver if they forget something (put on high side, when to shut off, etc).

The bold section there, I don't see anything wrong with. I have been an advocate of using the pan pressure deal for a long time now. There is only 2 ways to do it. One would be to tie it in to the auto shut off, but that would also deploy the chutes. This other way listed has it to where the car would shut down just as if the driver lifted. The benefit is here is, if you are ahead on a run, and have an issue the car can just coast the rest of the way, and not have the chute deployment to slow it down even more.

The last part about a throttle stop is nothing new for the burnout.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back