New Goodyear Tire for the Fuel Classes (1 Viewer)

If I am reading this correctly, the new tire will be mandatory starting at Denver. I wonder how many teams will use the new tires in competition at Englishtown and Norwalk. I would expect many of the top teams to test the tires on the Monday after the event to get the tire combination sorted out. Hopefully this new tire will be safer then the current tire and hopefully will lend to more side by side racing with the sun on the track.

It's Round, It's Black...
Wonder if it has learned not to skip over itself?

Thanks Good%Year....

all kidding aside, is it what we needed, or what we wanted?

That sound you hear is crew chiefs all over the nitro world banging their heads on their desks or walls. I hope the implementation goes much more smoothly than the last tire intro, especially for guys like Jim Head and Tim Wilkerson ... I would hate to see tire issues settle the championship, 4 car teams like DSR and JFR are definitely going to have the advantage.

Well, I guess the funny car guys that are waiting till the last minute can figure a new car out and a new tire at the same time.

Why can't they bring the new tyre in next season? That way it can't have any effect (or be to blame) on this years championship.
Is there a safety issue with the current tyre?

Seems like they would wait till the countdown started. It would give the smaller teams like Tim W. time to work it out and not disrupt what the teams have done so far in the points. But then again it's NHRA.:rolleyes:

I don't see what people are complaining about. How many runs/data will it take to figure this out..my guess is NOT MANY.

If this tire solves the chunking and delaminating threat then it needs to be implemented as soon as they have enough production to serve all of the teams. I was always under the impression that the insurance carrier had a hammer over the NHRA's head on this issue.

From the list of the drivers involved, it seems to me that the crew chiefs would HAVE to have been involved in this testing process, and therefore are familiar with this tire's characteristics.

I mean, who would have tuned the car and downloaded the info after the run? Manny, from down the street? Don't think so.

So my take is that most, if not all, of the crew chiefs already have some data on this tire.

Let's not overreact here folks.

How many times is NHRA going to require the fuel teams to change their tune-ups when the cars are well into the season?

I would expect many of the top teams to test the tires on the Monday after the event to get the tire combination sorted out.

No team will be testing them on Monday at E Town.... the local laws prevent an unruffled cars on any day that has not been "Pre Approved" and NHRA has NEVER been given permission to run on Monday..

I don't see what people are complaining about. How many runs/data will it take to figure this out..my guess is NOT MANY.

It will take your current funny car points leader 4 National Events to get as much data as JFR or DSR at 1 National Event. "Not many" runs is a VERY relative term.

Registered member said:
So my take is that most, if not all, of the crew chiefs already have some data on this tire.

Let's not overreact here folks.

You make a good point David, let's just hope there is available data on the new tire available to everyone, and it's not just something being crammed down fuel team's throats as in tire implementations past. My sincere hope is that the new tire transition is seemless, safe and has no discernable affect on the points race. Historical trends and data say otherwise .....

(keeping fingers crossed)

If this tire solves the chunking and delaminating threat then it needs to be implemented as soon as they have enough production to serve all of the teams. I was always under the impression that the insurance carrier had a hammer over the NHRA's head on this issue.

I'd rather see a team loose a round or lane choice or two than another tire come apart.

Why can't they bring the new tyre in next season? That way it can't have any effect (or be to blame) on this years championship.
Is there a safety issue with the current tyre?

I see a lot of black rubbery stuff flying around the finish line after a lot of passes. (HDTV-60" Sony DLP)

I think since the current tire is rated to 300 and they are blowing past that by 10%, any improvements will be welcome except by those who don't get it figured out soon enough.

I see a lot of black rubbery stuff flying around the finish line after a lot of passes. (HDTV-60" Sony DLP)

I think since the current tire is rated to 300 and they are blowing past that by 10%, any improvements will be welcome except by those who don't get it figured out soon enough.
Fair enough then. Safety should be the No. 1 priority.
The current tyre is ONLY rated to 300mph??!!!:eek:

It will take your current funny car points leader 4 National Events to get as much data as JFR or DSR at 1 National Event. "Not many" runs is a VERY relative term.

You make a good point David, let's just hope there is available data on the new tire available to everyone, and it's not just something being crammed down fuel team's throats as in tire implementations past. My sincere hope is that the new tire transition is seemless, safe and has no discernable affect on the points race. Historical trends and data say otherwise .....

(keeping fingers crossed)

I agree Chris, history has told us the smaller teams will take a lot longer to adapt to the rules changes then the multi-car teams. In FC I would expect the Force team and DSR to get a handle on this a lot quicker then the current points leader. I hope I am wrong, but history tells me otherwise.

Wonderful, another smokefest at Infineon. Maybe NHRA could allow a Thursday afternoon test session for the fuel cars?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back