New Drag Racing Book...pretty cool... :) (1 Viewer)

Kati

Nitro Member
New Drag Racing Book --

Drag Racing: The World's Fastest Sport (Hardcover)
by Timothy Miller (Author)

Very nice...mine just came today.

Came out last month...available @ Amazon, Borders...Barnes & Noble, etc.

Need a gift for a fan....here it is. :D:cool:

I'll probably buy this book, but I always thought that Bonneville LSR racing was the world's fastest sport...

Thanks for the heads-up.... :)

I'll probably buy this book, but I always thought that Bonneville LSR racing was the world's fastest sport...
Thanks for the heads-up.... :)

"LSR RACING" ????
Isn't RACING at least two cars on the track at the same time ??

Do the LSR cars go over 300 MPH in under 5 seconds ???
Or are they pushed off the starting line by another vehicle and then take FIVE MILES to get to 300 ??

Do the LSR cars go over 300 MPH in under 5 seconds ???
Or are they pushed off the starting line by another vehicle and then take FIVE MILES to get to 300 ??

That's the difference between quickest and fastest. LSR is the fastest. Drag Racing is the quickest.

Jim

Salt flat runs are not racing........just runs down the salt ALL ALONE..........

They are racing the clock, and they are the fastest.

Regardless, drag racing is not about the fastest car, it is about the quickest car. Speed only matters if the ETs are tied.

Jim

They are racing the clock, and they are the fastest.

Regardless, drag racing is not about the fastest car, it is about the quickest car. Speed only matters if the ETs are tied.
Jim

Racing involves TWO VEHICLES on the track at the same time.
So you can "RUN" against the clock......you can't "RACE" the clock.....
Running against the clock is not racing as you never out run anybody.
Antron Brown ran 319.75 at Bristol for what I believe is top speed this year. Just how many Salt cars went faster ??? At every NHRA drag race there are about 32 cars over 300 MPH (or used to be).......not so on the salt flats.

Last edited:
Just how many Salt cars went faster ??? At every NHRA drag race there are about 32 cars over 300 MPH (or used to be).......not so on the salt flats.

They run classes at Bonneville, just like in drag racing. And, just as in drag racing, not every class is capable of going 300 MPH. As for speeds, LSR broke 300 MPH in 1927 and the current LSR is 763 MPH.

Finally, drag racing is not about the fastest speed. It is about the quickest elapsed time. It is not unusual to see the fastest car lose the race.

Jim

BTW, the original post was about a book called, "Drag Racing: The World's Fastest Sport."

I opined that Land Speed Record attempts, which I referred to as "racing," involved faster speeds than drag racing's fastest Fuelers and Funnies.

I stand by my contention that the book's title is in error; Land Speed Record attempts often involve speeds far in excess of the speeds turned by drag racing's fastest cars. Whether what goes on at the LSR meets is "racing," is not the question; it is definitely one of a whole bevy of "motorsports," and the speeds attained by these LSR vehicles, qualifies LSR attempts as one of the world's fastest sports... Whether it is "racing" in the strict sense of the word, is not pertinent to this discussion.

Some would muddy the waters of this discussion by contending that LSR activity isn't "racing," because two cars don't run at one time, and that there are far MORE 330 mph fuel cars at a drag race than there are 330+ mph cars at Bonneville, on any given record runs day... So what???

Those types of obfuscation are just scattershot attempts to divert attention from the real question: Which kind of motorsport has the fastest speeds?

Bonneville LSR runs, of course...

Bill

Last edited:
I stand by my contention that the book's title is in error; Land Speed Record attempts often involve speeds far in excess of the speeds turned by drag racing's fastest cars.

I agree with your conclusion, but for a different reason. Drag racing is not about the fastest car, it is about the quickest car.

Jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back