New Blood (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
We have had many threads/discussions about the state of affairs of NHRA's "big show", especially after losing some big sponsors like Ford, Castrol, and Budweiser, as well as big teams like Bernstein, Snake, and recently Vandergriff. But, if anyone is noticing, there has really been a nice influx of new racers in the pro ranks, and some part-time teams starting to run more events. I just read an article in Drag Illustrated about Scott Palmer that made me a bigger fan of his. It's a great article, and that is a must read magazine. Anyway, Scott has steadily grown his deal and has attracted help to race more often. It got me thinking of all the new players we have that weren't on the radar a few years ago. Cameron Ferre, John Bojec, Brandon Welch, The Richards Bros., and Alex Laughlin to name a few. Alex just won his first national event in PS, and now he's licensing in an A/FD and hopes to follow up with an upgrade to TF! Pretty cool. There are more that I haven't mentioned. If NHRA could do anything to improve the business model, the list of new people would of course grow even larger, and faster. Nonetheless, it's exciting to see new players coming out and mixing it up.

It sucks that the other teams don't do it because they feel it throws their clutch set-up off.
Scott mentioned in the article in Drag Illustrated that Bobby Lagana is helping him out and didn't recommend it but Scott said I'm still gonna do it because the fans love it. I miss those days standing in the pits and when they whacked the throttle, Seeing people jump not expecting it. Good Stuff !

It was nice to see Leah Prichett , John Schnatter ceo of Papa Johns Pizza, and some of her crew displaying their DSR/ Papa Johns dragster at the Dallas Cowboys game this past Sunday. It was a big hit for sure and a lot of exposure for Nhra drag racing. The stadium was packed to the max.

I agree it's nice to see some "new blood", however most aren't really new they are just moving up. In my humble opinion NHRA needs to work on their grass roots programs to get and keep kids involved. If the youth are not involved in local track sportsmen racing, in NHRA divisional and national sportsmen events we will reach a point in time when there is no one to move up. People will blast this posting yelling about junior dragsters and how that starts kids out. Realistically how many junior dragsters are owned by family's who already race? So where's the new blood? Back in the day when every high schools had an auto shop class more often than not the auto shop teachers would match interested students up with friends or previous students who raced today no one does that. I think that to help keep the sport a live local tracks need to reach out to high schools, do car displays, and offer to match kids who are interested with racers.

Go to a "light out" event or others where the young people go and see for yourself. Or just watch Street Outlaws
Or watch the news to see how many young (and old) people are killed or injured (drivers, spectators and innocent people who have the misfortune of just being in the area) that is the result of illegal street racing.

Here in Southern Oregon, I see zero of that, but here's what I have seen: a few months ago Doc and Monza from Street Outlaws came to our local track. There was easily triple the spectators I have ever seen at that track. Not only that but they had a big-tire and a small-tire shootout and during that segment, they shut off the scoreboard lights. Guess what, nobody cared! People aren't as enthralled with times and speeds as NHRA would like to think. Seeing their heroes run and good racing seems to attract the spectators. Years ago, I attended the race at Sears Point and I remember KC Spurlock doing a burnout so long in qualifying that he tripped the finish line lights coasting down from it. The crown went nuts as you can imagine. What ET did he run? Don't know, don't care. But I remember throttle whacks billowing up canopies that day in the fuel pits, long burnouts and the rest of the show.

We have had many threads/discussions about the state of affairs of NHRA's "big show", especially after losing some big sponsors like Ford, Castrol, and Budweiser, as well as big teams like Bernstein, Snake, and recently Vandergriff. But, if anyone is noticing, there has really been a nice influx of new racers in the pro ranks, and some part-time teams starting to run more events. I just read an article in Drag Illustrated about Scott Palmer that made me a bigger fan of his. It's a great article, and that is a must read magazine. Anyway, Scott has steadily grown his deal and has attracted help to race more often. It got me thinking of all the new players we have that weren't on the radar a few years ago. Cameron Ferre, John Bojec, Brandon Welch, The Richards Bros., and Alex Laughlin to name a few. Alex just won his first national event in PS, and now he's licensing in an A/FD and hopes to follow up with an upgrade to TF! Pretty cool. There are more that I haven't mentioned. If NHRA could do anything to improve the business model, the list of new people would of course grow even larger, and faster. Nonetheless, it's exciting to see new players coming out and mixing it up.

I've said it before, the cars are out there. You want to see more cars enter? expand the fields. Drop the 16 car limit. "If you build it , they will come".

be glad a few races still have 18+ entries.....self-funding is going to last only so long for a few of the teams.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back