national event venues (1 Viewer)

mick

Nitro Member
b. wilber's recent blog on nhra.com hits on the escalating quality of nat.
event venues in the last decade or so; mentions not only the quality facilities,
but the individuals and/or families that operate them, and most importantly
their staffs that operate them at a high standard.
the article mentions tracks/owners comprising 17 of 22 nat. events;
phoenix, seattle, brainerd, reading & englishtown not on the list.

75%+ approval rating with room for improvement.

National Trail belongs on that list!

first off, nat. trail no longer a nat. event site
second, this is not a list of sub-par facilities; the author of this blog only
stating his opinion towards what he sees as superior and well organized/run
facilities.
please, don't make this a negative thread; the list of 5 venues mentioned
have many great attributes qualifying them to host a nat. event.

only suggesting there is always room for improvement.
personally have watched BIR make constant improvements for over 20 yrs.
BIR may not be ZMAX, but it is beautifully unique in it's own manner.

only suggesting there is always room for improvement. personally have watched BIR make constant improvements for over 20 yrs. BIR may not be ZMAX, but it is beautifully unique in it's own manner.

Brainerd is a unique facility. There is nothing else out there like it, and I'd sure hate to see the place "yuppified" so to speak.

From the combination of the road course and drag facilities in one location, to the surrounding countryside, to its location close to the border attacting all of the Cadadians, to the on-track camping, you can't show me another facility that comes close to matching Brainerds "atmosphere."

Of course, in addition to all of the above, I give you, The Zoo:

Brain85049.jpg

Brain85056.jpg

I do sure miss that mudhole.......:(

Last edited:
first off, nat. trail no longer a nat. event site
second, this is not a list of sub-par facilities; the author of this blog only
stating his opinion towards what he sees as superior and well organized/run
facilities.
please, don't make this a negative thread; the list of 5 venues mentioned
have many great attributes qualifying them to host a nat. event.

only suggesting there is always room for improvement.
personally have watched BIR make constant improvements for over 20 yrs.
BIR may not be ZMAX, but it is beautifully unique in it's own manner.

'Trail should have a national event! Were you there when the 'Springs was sold out? I was. Pulling out of Columbus was a dirty deed!

'Trail should have a national event! Were you there when the 'Springs was sold out? I was. Pulling out of Columbus was a dirty deed!

its WAAAAAY to short, even with 1000'. Too many cars, not even nitro, would cross over that road at the top end. They had to have police there stopping traffic whenever a hot car was up.

its WAAAAAY to short, even with 1000'. Too many cars, not even nitro, would cross over that road at the top end. They had to have police there stopping traffic whenever a hot car was up.

They already did that. I'll be making my first trip to Columbus in July with the NFC, and I'm looking forward to it.

Columbus compared to Norwalk isnt!

No one said it is Joe. Ohio is, and always has been a HUGE drag racing state that can EASILY support a second national meet. I was told by a senior executive with a prominent Columbus mail-order house that NHRA moving that race deeply hurt the city of Columbus. NHRA OWNS that track and should upgrade it, or sell it to someone who will.

No one said it is Joe. Ohio is, and always has been a HUGE drag racing state that can EASILY support a second national meet. I was told by a senior executive with a prominent Columbus mail-order house that NHRA moving that race deeply hurt the city of Columbus. NHRA OWNS that track and should upgrade it, or sell it to someone who will.

The main upgrade need is to make the shutdown longer however they are land locked between roads, so that is not an option.

Wasn't the Columbus track involved in the ProStock Truck law suit?

Yes it was rumored that along with cash, they would also get that track

b. wilber's recent blog on nhra.com hits on the escalating quality of nat.
event venues in the last decade or so; mentions not only the quality facilities,
but the individuals and/or families that operate them, and most importantly
their staffs that operate them at a high standard.
the article mentions tracks/owners comprising 17 of 22 nat. events;
phoenix, seattle, brainerd, reading & englishtown not on the list.

75%+ approval rating with room for improvement.

I knew E-town would never be on the list, Go Figure, :rolleyes:

makes me wonder if Epping will overtake E-town and maybe Atco can get redone for National event competition because E-town has an unfortunately scarred historical legacy because of the Series of unfortunate events recently. it's now forever labeled as the "Track of Death" even though I do not think it's all the track's fault for neither Scott or Neal's deaths,

I knew E-town would never be on the list, Go Figure, :rolleyes:

makes me wonder if Epping will overtake E-town and maybe Atco can get redone for National event competition because E-town has an unfortunately scarred historical legacy because of the Series of unfortunate events recently. it's now forever labeled as the "Track of Death" even though I do not think it's all the track's fault for neither Scott or Neal's deaths,

I agree, Rob. I grew up going to Englishtown and I have a multitude of fond memories from there... but for whatever reason, it seems a LOT of cars go into the sand there, and as you stated, twice in recent memory it's been fatal. The reasons are certainly debatable, but the tragic results are still the first thought that enters our minds.

I agree, Rob. I grew up going to Englishtown and I have a multitude of fond memories from there... but for whatever reason, it seems a LOT of cars go into the sand there, and as you stated, twice in recent memory it's been fatal. The reasons are certainly debatable, but the tragic results are still the first thought that enters our minds.

and yet when Johnny West and Del Worsham had crashes there, they survived, even Chuck Scherr driving his jet dragster on a wednesday night there in 1995 survived when there was no sand and only the wall and that hard curve.

I just get it.

and yet when Johnny West and Del Worsham had crashes there, they survived, even Chuck Scherr driving his jet dragster on a wednesday night there in 1995 survived when there was no sand and only the wall and that hard curve.

I just get it.

Don't forget Alexis Dejoria too.

On the one hand I [don't] get it either, but on the other hand, I can certainly see why some people are turned off by the place. It's a shame no matter how you look at it.

Don't forget Alexis Dejoria too.

On the one hand I [don't] get it either, but on the other hand, I can certainly see why some people are turned off by the place. It's a shame no matter how you look at it.

for those who call it the "East coast Pomona" for it's history, it gets so quick to be thrown under the bus when something happens, Indy had Blaine Johnson and Elmer Trett die in the same weekend, and few years ago Steve Engel crashed there and succumbed to the injuries later, yet I don't hear a peep from people burying the track.

I don't get it

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back