Mountain Motor Pro Stock? (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Saw article that said a rumor is that NHRA would allow mountain motor Pro Stock at 2700 lbs. So I'm guessing that would be the PDRA cars w/ 832 motors racing 500" cars at 2350 lbs. Didn't IHRA try this some years ago?

So I'm guessing that would be the PDRA cars w/ 832 motors racing 500" cars at 2350 lbs. Didn't IHRA try this some years ago?

Most of the cars that ran Motor Mountain Pro Stock in the IHRA are currently running in the PDRA (2425 lbs.). Full 16 car field last weekend in Indy. I was there and found it very entertaining.

Most of the cars that ran Motor Mountain Pro Stock in the IHRA are currently running in the PDRA (2425 lbs.). Full 16 car field last weekend in Indy. I was there and found it very entertaining.

NHRA owns Indy and saw the full field of mountain motor cars yet utterly barren stands. There were more dogs in the haulers in the pits than paying customers in the stands at Indy. I can't believe they would think this is a good idea.

Also, those guys run mountain motor cars because they don't have to spend the relative fortune that running NHRA Pro Stock would cost. They know they would either have to spend a ton of money to be competitive, or just be field fillers if they could even qualify should a full field of regular NHRA Pro Stockers show up. I am not sure many of them would run more than whatever event is closest to their house. I certainly have not heard of those guys campaigning to be part of the show at NHRA. Don't forget, IHRA is supposedly coming back next year with a Pro class for these guys too.

Could you imagine the crying that would happen should a mountain motor car show up, strap on 400 pounds and win a National Event? Holy cow I would hear it from my house LOL.

I think you always have to try and look things through the promoters eyes in terms of changes they make because if the fans are not interested and are not paying to see it how do you make money?

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Nitro powered Pro Stock cars, 50% nitro max, problem solved. People will stay in the stands. You can thank me later.

50% isn't impressive as you may think. The Suoer Chevy Shows used to have Pro Mod type cars called Nitro Coupes, I think, and they ran somewhere around 30-50% and didn't sound much more impressive than an alky car. Which, by the way, I think are very impressive. But to get the real effect I think you need the higher percentages of Nitro, no matter the application.

Scott Palmer has the right idea with his nitro pro mod! Or another idea would be to take a current nostalgia fuel motor and drop that into a pro mod......

A current nitro nostalgia motor, with 6:71 blower, makes less HP than a blown alky motor with a screw blower. I think the best anyone has run in nostalgia F/C is a low 5.50 something and speed over 265 (?). Alky F/C can run 5.30's at 275. It would be interesting to see a nostalgia nitro motor in a Pro Mod, but I don't think it would be competitive. So, what if you run a 12:71 blower on nitro? :rolleyes:

Scott Palmer has the right idea with his nitro pro mod! Or another idea would be to take a current nostalgia fuel motor and drop that into a pro mod......

We asked Scott about it at Gainseville and he said that the NHRA told him not to bring it to any of their tracks, even if he was only going to plan to run it to the 1/8th mile. The head honchos at the NHRA make me scratch my head sometimes!

A current nitro nostalgia motor, with 6:71 blower, makes less HP than a blown alky motor with a screw blower. I think the best anyone has run in nostalgia F/C is a low 5.50 something and speed over 265 (?). Alky F/C can run 5.30's at 275. It would be interesting to see a nostalgia nitro motor in a Pro Mod, but I don't think it would be competitive. So, what if you run a 12:71 blower on nitro? :rolleyes:
I'm also in favor of allowing injected nitro engines into TA/FC.....More nitro classes = more fans staying in their seats.

Back to Mountain Motor Pro Stockers......are they going to make them remove the hood scoops and add EFI? You can see where this is heading......

I think you always have to try and look things through the promoters eyes in terms of changes they make because if the fans are not interested and are not paying to see it how do you make money?

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com
I don't claim to be an expert, and there's a lot I don't know but I think the answer to that question depends on whether you're talking about a National Event or a local track. It's apples & oranges.

I would say that roughly 75% - 80% of the events at our local track are all but barren in terms of pure spectators (meaning, folks who show up just to watch and have no affiliation with any of the teams). Sure, there are a few folks in the stands, but certainly not enough to pay the bills. So if we're talking about a local track most of the money is made by selling tech cards. More cars = more money. As a result the promoter must make it worth a racer's time and effort to show up. All, or a large portion of the promotion is, or should be directed at the racers themselves. On top of that, many offer first (and sometimes second) round re-entry (at the price of half an entry fee per) for each class. For example, if you have 80 cars in a class at $40 per tech card ($3,200.00) and then if even just half of the first round losers decide they want to re-enter, that's $20 x 20, equaling another $400.00. That's just one class - you'd have to multiply that data by the number of classes, obviously. And all of this is before you consider income from track sponsors, the sale of racing fuel, regulars who rent specific parking spots for the season, etc. Of course, they've still gotta pay employees, pay for the lights, maintenance, track necessities, etc.

A National Event is a whole different ball of twine that is much more complicated to unravel.

Getting back to the original topic - I'm of the opinion that the racers need the track as much as the track needs the racers. As a result, they should be working together to make each event as user friendly to both parties as physically possible. It's impossible to please everyone, but given their need for each other, some degree of honest, open communication would be beneficial to all.

I have modest proposal for adding weight to the Mountain Motor cars!

Put in a passenger seat and pay a couple of "Big Boys", like me, to suit up and make the passes. We could make a pass, quickly golf cart back to staging, and jump in another car to keep our numbers low <g>!

I will be available for all passes possible for a reasonable fee!

:po_O:rolleyes::D

"It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!"

i think they should allow hood scoops back on any cars as well. if they are going to allow scoops on the big inch cars, why not all cars. it also may help the smaller inch cars make a little more power than the current air box configuration .

"Hood Scoops" were a zero result component, the drag it created cancelled out the performance gain. The main reason for the scoop was to fit the carbs inside it. To gain a performance advantage from the scoop, air pressure, boost, the car would have to be moving at .5 mach roughly. I actually spoke with Greg Anderson, Jeg and AJ about it several time the year before they mandated EFI and flat hoods. I was trying to get one of them to test without the scoop to reduce drag, never happened, then EFI came about

Hood scoops are going backwards again. Make PS all FI regardless of motor size and include V6 with turbos and just maybe you will get more participation and fans watching.

I'm interested to see how many people stay to watch this.
http://www.nhra.com/news/2017/team-...6-car-exhibition-toyota-nhra-sonoma-nationals
No nitro = no crowd. It won't change the mass exodus from the stands that happens at the end of each nitro session. You want to keep the butts in the seats run Top Fuel-Pro Stock- Motorcycles- Funny Cars.

No nitro = no crowd. It won't change the mass exodus from the stands that happens at the end of each nitro session. You want to keep the butts in the seats run Top Fuel-Pro Stock- Motorcycles- Funny Cars.

Did the fans leave when Grumpy and Landy came to the line? I know for a fact nobody left when Glidden, RM, WJ, Dodge Boys were running. And PS motorcycle....you're having laugh!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back