Motorsports writers opinions on Force (1 Viewer)

I agree with your analogy and stand corrected. Jeff and I do have a history and I did allow my personal feelings to stand in the way of professionalism. Thank you for understanding and allowing me to voice my personal opinion.

We were sitting at the finish line. To me, it looked like the left slick delaminated prior to the chassis failure. I agree, something wrong was happening before the reflector boxes got over to John's car. I've watched the videos from every angle and think it was the Goodyear's fault. Just my 2 cents

I'll beat that dead horse again! Video of Safety Safari righting what was left of John's car was aired on Wind Tunnel tonight. I know a lot of you have seen something I can't, but I'm still seeing two intact slicks. If you have a video frame of a delaminated slick, I'd really like to see it - Jim

It's not about being human, it's about being accurate and fair. Please note this QUOTE from John Force in a Sep. 24 press release: “The car pulled in half and I’ve never seen that, ever. A tire came off the car just as I put the parachutes out and it literally pulled the car apart."

Sounds like tire and chassis failure to me--just like Jeff Burk (no "e") suggested. Can he and DRO expect apologies now, or are you guys (and girls) never wrong and slander is just part of the act at NitroMater?

Just wondering (to borrow a phrase),

Ian

PS. Sorry to get testy, but we all work very hard and long hours covering this sport and when I see DRO's efforts unjustly denigrated--especially by someone many of you consider an "insider"--it really bugs me.

It's not about being human, it's about being accurate and fair. Please note this QUOTE from John Force in a Sep. 24 press release: “The car pulled in half and I’ve never seen that, ever. A tire came off the car just as I put the parachutes out and it literally pulled the car apart."

Sounds like tire and chassis failure to me--just like Jeff Burk (no "e") suggested. Can he and DRO expect apologies now, or are you guys (and girls) never wrong and slander is just part of the act at NitroMater?

Just wondering (to borrow a phrase),

Ian

PS. Sorry to get testy, but we all work very hard and long hours covering this sport and when I see DRO's efforts unjustly denigrated--especially by someone many of you consider an "insider"--it really bugs me.

Ian,

I understand about being accurate/fair and in the spirit of that statement, have all past statements/stories posted on DRO by Jeff Burk (no “e”) been 100% accurate and if not, is that fair to the readers and/or the subjects of those statements/stories? Has Jeff posted many apologies and/or retractions when the content on DRO was not 100% accurate?

I do not question that the efforts of Jeff Burk and the staff at DRO are laborious, nor do I question their dedication to their careers or their commitment to maintaining the content on DRO. I believe the question is, when reporting, is every effort being made to ensure the accuracy of those statements/stories being posted?

I will not share my answer to the last question, because, in the spirit of fairness, it is a two way street and I will respect your right to be treated fairly and not voice what would only be my opinion, not fact. As for John’s statement, I am not qualified to draw a conclusion as to what the true cause of the accident was. Does Jeff feel he is qualified and that his interpretation of that statement is accurate?

Nitro Mater is not a forum for slander, liable or bashing in general. It is a place where people can share and receive opinions and information about drag racing. You mentioned in a previous post that name calling reminded you of the weatherman. Have you just done the same and become the weatherman? After reading your comment I edited my post (to which you referred) and publically admitted you were correct in your assessment. I ask you Ian, do you truly feel slander is part of the act at NitroMater and the comments of others on this site are just that, an act? Or was that your personal, “Human” opinion inferring a generalization about all who post here?

You see, it is about being human and it is about being fair. We are all human and share a common love for this sport. At times we tend to allow our own opinions stand in the way of being fair to one/another. Fair is, I feel, something that sometimes slips away from us that we can all work a little harder on and maybe, even have a little more understanding about the opinions of others who post here. Don’t worry about the testy thing, I think we have both shown our human side on this thread and testy is just part of being human. Stop by the pit and say hi at your next NHRA event, I'd love to have you join us as my personal guest.

Respectfully,
Angelo

It's been beaten to death and the cones never come in contact with the car. Watch the video from the front angle in slo-mo and you can see the 2nd cone goes cleanly behind John's car by several feet. The car is already coming apart by the time the 1st cone is within a couple feet of his car. Rex and a couple others with HD say they can see pieces of something going under John's car but it's definitely not the cone(s).
I thought the pieces were carbon fiber from the front end of Kenny's car.

I thought the pieces were carbon fiber from the front end of Kenny's car.

That's your opinion, here's mine:
I've just spent 3 days under the back end of one of these things doing rear body mounts, so it's fresh in my mind.
When the chassis dropped in the middle, the rear body tree and mounts shoved the back panel out of the body into the air. That's what I think I saw. Many shards in the air.

I'll beat that dead horse again! Video of Safety Safari righting what was left of John's car was aired on Wind Tunnel tonight. I know a lot of you have seen something I can't, but I'm still seeing two intact slicks. If you have a video frame of a delaminated slick, I'd really like to see it - Jim
Here you go:

JohnForceCrash0000000033b.jpg

JohnForceCrash0000000044b.jpg

Burk on DRO reports that this season's JFR crashes were caused by either tire or chassis failure - with no supporting evidence. Brilliant.
And - Jeff Wolf reports after meeting with John that - 1. The team is rushing to complete a new Pflueger chassis for Robert to race at Richmond.
And . . . 2. Ashley may not race until the cause of John's crash is determined and the problem is corrected. This is certainly some new news!

It's good to see that all of you experts have this figured out. It's pretty clear that JFR is searching for those answers - maybe you should give them a call.

Now that Force has commented that a tire failure caused the accident I guess you can get your attaboy clothes on and fess up to Burke being right in his column. It sure looks like they have some supporting evidence. Force's publicist, Dave Densmore, also says next cars coming from Murph's joint, not Plueger's.

::: Drag Racing Online ::: Force Continues To Recover; Considers ‘Tub’ To Protect Driver - 10/1/2007

Yea I know everyone has an opinion. I have HD and looked at it frame by frame. There are definite pieces of debri that shoot towards John's car from Kenny getting into the cones. It is before there is a problem with John's car. Significantly before. I cannot tell what it is that goes towards John's car, but they are dark and moving fast UNDER John's car. After that, problems develop on John's car.

And as for being there, I was there and you could not see S*&%..........

Please tell me that you just made a few errors in your post... Wow :eek: I missed that one Burke is a dead set clown!

Uh...I've got it saved on my DVR...The most missed opportunity to turn lemons into Lemonade I've ever seen....Check you PM's...I think you'll enjoy it!

Timmah!

Ian, while I admit I agree with a lot that Jeff has said in the past, I do think suggesting that the entire FC chassis rules be totally changed because of ONE FC Chassis incident is unwarranted. FC's have been over 300 MPH for what 10 years? And in that time I've seen more than one Tire failure at speed without the car coming apart! Just about every crew person I've talked to says the Current TF/FC tire is the best they've seen in recent years. And he theory that FC's have all of a sudden become Death traps is total BS IMO! Should we see another similar Chassis failure in the next 5-6 races, than I could understand looking at Chassis specs. :rolleyes:

Joe, I appreciate what you're saying, but think if you really look at Jeff's column he's taking all those tire failures you've seen over the years as a sign of a cumulative problem.

Nowhere does he suggest "FC's have all of a sudden become Death traps," but he does say there's an awareness in the sport that fuel cars (TF, too) are simply exceeding the safety parameters of current tire and chassis technology and have been for some time. Regardless of crew members saying these are the best tires ever--that may well be--it doesn't necessarily mean they're fully up to the task.

He also points out JFR cars have seemed particularly vulnerable this year, so maybe they have more of a chassis problem than others for some reason. Also, he credits JFR research and new NHRA rules for already creating a safer car, so I just think it's not accurate to paint his column as some sort of "Chicken Little" piece.

Love him or hate him, Jeff Burk and DRO are passionate about promoting safety for drag racers and I'm confident in stating he'll never apologize for that. If you recall, he and DRO were among the most vocal advocates of requiring head-and-neck restraints for drivers.

Please re-read the column with these thoughts in mind and I think you'll see what I mean.

Thanks,

Ian

That's funny. Check out the 300+ post "Did Force and KB Crash?" thread for the entire discussion of what flying pieces hit what. Some of the Maters did a good analysis and even provided 'optical data'.

Think I just leave this one alone and keep myself out of trouble:eek:

Yea I know everyone has an opinion. I have HD and looked at it frame by frame. There are definite pieces of debri that shoot towards John's car from Kenny getting into the cones. It is before there is a problem with John's car. Significantly before. I cannot tell what it is that goes towards John's car, but they are dark and moving fast UNDER John's car. After that, problems develop on John's car.

And as for being there, I was there and you could not see S*&%..........

Now see I got in trouble for bringing that up!

Well, Jim?

My comment about Burke report was an attempt at humor - I thought he said that it was either a tire or chassis failure. Obviously, he has it right either way. That being said, I have received information from two sources that the chassis failed and punctured a tire after the car separated.
Does NHRA have the car and are they able to analyze what happened? If so, will they issue a public report showing that there is a problem with chassis specs? There is a lot of knee jerk engineering going on (TJ blog) and no one has a clue how this will effect the cars. If you keep changing the chassis with no science, are you headed toward finding the next failure point?
More questions than answers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back