More Pop in the Tank (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
Decided with the reasonably nice weather, that I would run my RC car out at my wife's grandparents property this weekend. Need to get a smell of some nitro!!!!! I had to kick it up from 20% to 33% to see how much more of the wonderful aroma I can get!!

Decided with the reasonably nice weather, that I would run my RC car out at my wife's grandparents property this weekend. Need to get a smell of some nitro!!!!! I had to kick it up from 20% to 33% to see how much more of the wonderful aroma I can get!!

Alan,
I've been doing the same over the last few weeks - it's nice when it's cold and you have to run it extra FAT! I try to stick to the 20%, let me know how the 33% works out for you.

On a side note, with the cost of Traxxas Nitro around $40 a gallon here, have you ever considered mixing your own? I've thought about it, and from what I can gather the 20% is 20% Nitro, 18% Castor Oil and the remainder is Methanol. It has to be cheaper to mix your own..

Alan,
I've been doing the same over the last few weeks - it's nice when it's cold and you have to run it extra FAT! I try to stick to the 20%, let me know how the 33% works out for you.

On a side note, with the cost of Traxxas Nitro around $40 a gallon here, have you ever considered mixing your own? I've thought about it, and from what I can gather the 20% is 20% Nitro, 18% Castor Oil and the remainder is Methanol. It has to be cheaper to mix your own..

I never gave any thought to mixing my own........

I'm gonna run tomorrow, so I'll see what happens. Curious if the extra 13% will be noticeable, between the powr and the aroma! What kind of set-up are you running?

Here's mine, Nitro Rustler, with a ton of extras...not much left of the original truck, other than drivetrain (except clutch and axles) and the main chassis plates. A ton of aluminum and billet goodies, different shocks. WAY out of control if you ask my wife!! :D

ALAN.jpg

ALANUNDER.jpg

ALANUNDER2.jpg

Since those pics I've also added a much bigger cooling head, which surprisingly made a difference during the warmer weather.

Alan, can use of that fuel for my tractor?:D I've been out on the tractor all morning and a allis-chamers can use some kick.

That thing is bad a z z.

Alan,
I have an older T-Maxx 2.5 that I upgraded the engine to a Picco .21 before they came out with the 3.3 Maxx. It also has some added aluminum pieces. One of my sons has a Nitro Rustler and the other one has a T-Maxx 2.5. It's amazing how much power those little engines make.

Mike,
Even though the video is nitrous, I would imaging it would be something like this...
Mower Vs Nitrous

OK, so I ran on Sunday out at the Grandparents. Put in the 33%, played with the carb a bit, and she was running good!!! Running almost full throttle from one field, across the asphalt driveway, into the gravel, and WHAM!!:eek: Thought I was gonna miss that cemented into the ground fence post, but she got loose on the gravel.:D

Busted my bumper like it was nothing, and the front tie bar is now v-shaped! But it still ran good the rest of the day. Gotta replace the bumper and try and bend the tie bar. Any advice on bending billet??? :D

Alan,
I've never found a good way to fix the billet stuff. In fact, I have moved to RPM plastics on most of the "impact parts" due to bending/breaking. The aluminum looks good, and works well but it's easier/cheaper to just keep replacing the plastics.
There are guys on e-bay that buy complete cars and part them out at ridiculous cheap prices, so you can amass a decent collection of spares for short money.

Alan,
I've never found a good way to fix the billet stuff. In fact, I have moved to RPM plastics on most of the "impact parts" due to bending/breaking. The aluminum looks good, and works well but it's easier/cheaper to just keep replacing the plastics.
There are guys on e-bay that buy complete cars and part them out at ridiculous cheap prices, so you can amass a decent collection of spares for short money.

I have the RPM control arms and HAD the bumper!!! I'll replace the bumper with another RPM unit, and probably go back to a nylon Traxxas Tie Bar. I do need to fab up a wheelie bar of some sorts though.....

I have the RPM control arms and HAD the bumper!!! I'll replace the bumper with another RPM unit, and probably go back to a nylon Traxxas Tie Bar. I do need to fab up a wheelie bar of some sorts though.....
Check with RPM, I believe their parts have a lifetime guarantee against breaking.

The battery pack in the rear does not help with regards to wheelies on the Rustler, I went to a 6v 5 cell battery pack and moved it to the front - it helps quite a bit, plus with the extra power you can upgrade to the Hi-Tech High Torque servos which helps a ton with the brakes and steering.. I know the stock servos on the T-Maxx were awful and needed to be replaced.

Check with RPM, I believe their parts have a lifetime guarantee against breaking.

The battery pack in the rear does not help with regards to wheelies on the Rustler, I went to a 6v 5 cell battery pack and moved it to the front - it helps quite a bit, plus with the extra power you can upgrade to the Hi-Tech High Torque servos which helps a ton with the brakes and steering.. I know the stock servos on the T-Maxx were awful and needed to be replaced.

I was thinking of going to a 5-cell pack in the front. I've changed the throttle/brake servo over to a Futaba unit, that was a noticeable change. I was definitely surprised at the difference that 33% seemed to have.

I'll have to give it shot next time I need fuel. I'm pretty sure the local place carried 33% quarts.

Doesn't sound like you had much trouble adjusting the mixture.

I'll have to give it shot next time I need fuel. I'm pretty sure the local place carried 33% quarts.

Doesn't sound like you had much trouble adjusting the mixture.

The toughest part was getting it running after sitting for a few months. Changed out the glow plug, and played with the adjustments for about 15 minutes, then it was game on!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back