Mixed Feelings after Pomona (1 Viewer)

I was NITRO BREATH

Nitro Member
I cannot remember a time when I had so many mixed emotions after a championship was decided. Antron, Ron,and Doug certainly were deserving of a championship this year. And I felt terrible as each one of them saw their dream evaporate. But you could not deny the greatness shown by John Force and especially Tony and Alan Johnson. It was thrilling to watch Tony's win. A true milestone in drag racing that we all had the oppurtunity to witness[this is one we can all tell the kids about] What more could you ask?? But ----after it was all over instead of celebrating the champs I just felt sadness for those who came so close and didn't make it.I think John Force felt the same way when in his remarks on the podium he called Ron the Champ

There is no such thing as deserving a championship. You either earn the required points or you don't.

Until next year!

I cannot remember a time when I had so many mixed emotions after a championship was decided. Antron, Ron,and Doug certainly were deserving of a championship this year. And I felt terrible as each one of them saw their dream evaporate. But you could not deny the greatness shown by John Force and especially Tony and Alan Johnson. It was thrilling to watch Tony's win. A true milestone in drag racing that we all had the oppurtunity to witness[this is one we can all tell the kids about] What more could you ask?? But ----after it was all over instead of celebrating the champs I just felt sadness for those who came so close and didn't make it.I think John Force felt the same way when in his remarks on the podium he called Ron the Champ

Barry, I have to agree with you that it was disappointing to see Doug, Ron, and Antron all fail in their championship aspirations. I really feel worse for Doug, although I did for Ron as well, as he had the biggest obstacle. Doug had the champioship in his grasp, and AJ & Tony snatched it away when they had all the stars lineup for them. They had to be perfect on race day, and they were. If Melanie had not cut that psychic light, we would be discussing Tony's "almost" miraculous comeback as it would not have mattered if Tony had won the race or set the record. Doug was robbed, but that's drag racing, right?

I think though I was just as deflated last year when it was the 3 cars battling for the Funny Car championship and seeing all 3 go down in the same round. Nobody outright WON the battle as it was decided by the points gathered in the previous race at Las Vegas. Talk about an anti-climax. I did take some joy out of the fact that Tony Pedregon won the race by taking out all 3 JFR cars (if my memory serves me correct).

I was sad watching it knowing that it was the last time that we will have a real championship

I was sad watching it knowing that it was the last time that we will have a real championship
i'd like to think it's kind of a 'murphy's law' situation....... it would figure
that the year before the points scoring changes, there would be a
championship decided by less than one round on the last run of the last event.
truly memorable.
.......and later last nite watching all the ESPN wrap-up shows, didn't see
one mention of the race.

......and later last nite watching all the ESPN wrap-up shows, didn't see
one mention of the race.

Yeah, I noticed that too... But for some reason they had a bunch to say about some boring ass flat-track roundy-round race and some "same-as-it-ever-is" football :confused:

I thought sports coverage was supposed to report on "exciting" hapenings?? Doesn't anyone from Glendora ever watch SportsCenter and wonder where their (our) money goes??:confused:

Last edited:
The only mixed feelings I have is that seasons over and we`ve got to wait `til Feb. It was great to see Force win #14 and even better seeing him take out Capps personally, but I`m just amazed Alan Johnson tuned that Army car to a 4.42. EVERYBODY sitting around us in the stands didn`t think he could do it, and that Dougie would hang on...unbelievable! Whatever Don S. is paying AJ, it ain`t enough, he`s so far ahead of everybody it`s a joke.

The only mixed feelings I have is that seasons over and we`ve got to wait `til Feb. It was great to see Force win #14 and even better seeing him take out Capps personally, but I`m just amazed Alan Johnson tuned that Army car to a 4.42. EVERYBODY sitting around us in the stands didn`t think he could do it, and that Dougie would hang on...unbelievable! Whatever Don S. is paying AJ, it ain`t enough, he`s so far ahead of everybody it`s a joke.
I'd venture to say there are a few around who are capable of keeping him on his toes. Just the fact that he needed the NR to get the Championship speaks volumes about how stiff the competition is. And 4.452 in a "New" car isn't exactly chopped liver. Remember, DK lost on a holes shot, because Melenie felt she had to push the tree.

And 4.452 in a "New" car isn't exactly chopped liver.

That was proven pipe with four wins, but I do agree with you Mike, that was an awesome pass. I do think Alan would have run a High 4.40 to low 4.41 had the oil issue not been there. That's why they run the race. It just doesn't get better than Pomona the last two years!

Yeah, I noticed that too... But for some reason they had a bunch to say about some boring ass flat-track roundy-round race and some "same-as-it-ever-is" football :confused:

I thought sports coverage was supposed to report on "exciting" hapenings?? Doesn't anyone from Glendora ever watch SportsCenter and wonder where their (our) money goes??:confused:

It usually doesn't get mention, but every sportscenter show since after the Sunday night football game has included coverage of the championship at Pomona, I've seen it half a dozen times already.................Perry Jr.

I`m just amazed Alan Johnson tuned that Army car to a 4.42. EVERYBODY sitting around us in the stands didn`t think he could do it, and that Dougie would hang on...unbelievable!
When I saw Beckman set the record at 4.66, I had the feeling the Sarge would set the record.

I also had mixed feelings about the points situation, knowing that this last year of a real championship for a while. Although I think the smart thing for Compton & Co. to do would be to do away with the competitive welfare system now, while this year's championship battle is still fresh in everybody's mind. There would be no better time than the present to announce they are keeping the system the way it is. If they wait until it fails it will be much more of a PR nightmare than if they change it back now. Honestly as a Schumacher fan I was more more excited about the championship, knowing he came back from 336 points, and knowing that his championship hopes were written off by almost everybody after Chicago. If he needed the competitive welfare system to win a championship, it would have nowhere near the same effect. Also in the back of mind during the telecast was that this could be the last time we hear Marty Reid and if it is, he definitely went out on a high note.

I'd venture to say there are a few around who are capable of keeping him on his toes. Just the fact that he needed the NR to get the Championship speaks volumes about how stiff the competition is. And 4.452 in a "New" car isn't exactly chopped liver. Remember, DK lost on a holes shot, because Melenie felt she had to push the tree.
Yeah, there are a few, but considering how far he came back in the last half season says there are very few. Johnson is king of the hill and 3 championships in a row is a pretty select crowd. As for Kalitta, I always thought losing on a hole shot was still losing and he won a few doing the same thing.

Yeah and what exactly are they trying to "fix"? :rolleyes:
It was pretty damn nail biting and exciting if you asked me.

To bring in short attention span outsiders... you know, the same fans that only watch the Superbowl or the World Series... No clue who's playing, just that it's the 'Thing' to do... so they can talk about the commercals at work the next day, and still don't know that the best team all year didn't make it because of one game in 'the play-offs'.

Yeah, That's how you decide the season Champion:confused:

I`m just amazed Alan Johnson tuned that Army car to a 4.42. EVERYBODY sitting around us in the stands didn`t think he could do it, and that Dougie would hang on...unbelievable! QUOTE]
When I saw Beckman set the record at 4.66, I had the feeling the Sarge would set the record.
Brett, I should have stated that everybody around us made that comment immediately after the semifinals had run. Yeah, when Fast Jack ran that .66 in the final, I knew AJ probably was probably going to get the record.

Yeah, there are a few, but considering how far he came back in the last half season says there are very few. Johnson is king of the hill and 3 championships in a row is a pretty select crowd. As for Kalitta, I always thought losing on a hole shot was still losing and he won a few doing the same thing.
The point was, in response to the other poster, is that he's not so far ahead that it's a "Joke." When DK laid down that 4.45 DSR was loaded for Bear and gunning for the NR but ran "slower" than DK.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back