Minnesotan Line Has Home State Win in His Sights (1 Viewer)

Mooresville, N.C., August 16, 2011 – Every competitor in the NHRA’s Full Throttle Drag Racing Series has one track on the circuit that they consider to be their favorite, with the reasons for this preference as different as the drivers’ personalities. For example, it could be the place where they made their competitive debut, have a past record of success or is even close to their hometown. In any case, any win at this selected location is considered among the most cherished.

For current NHRA Pro Stock points leader and Minnesota native Jason Line, his race track of choice is Brainerd International Raceway, site of this weekend’s 30th annual Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals. Located just over an hour’s drive from his home town of Wright, BIR is where he first took to the quarter-mile, and the home track for the entire Line racing family, from parents Lawrence and Maxine to youngest brother Ben, who race there throughout the year. Although he has experienced success in Brainerd in the sportsman ranks, a Pro Stock win has so far eluded him, an oversight both he and his Summit Racing team look to correct this weekend.

“Brainerd is the one race I want to win more than anywhere else,” states Line. “After all, it’s home, the one time every year that I get to go back and race with my family and see the friends I grew up with. Minnesota is where I was born and raised and where I learned to drag race.

“I have some tremendous memories from Brainerd, including scoring my first national event win there in 1992 driving the Buick stocker I still have today (and raced earlier this year in Charlotte), as well as my brother Lance and Greg (teammate and fellow Minnesotan Anderson) both winning in 2003, but the one that’s still missing is pulling my Summit Racing Pontiac into the BIR winner’s circle. I’ve come close in the past with two runner-up finishes, but hopefully we can finally check that one off the list this weekend.”

If there is one year in which Line would seem in a good position to earn his first Brainerd Wally, this season certainly stands out. His four wins (including at the most recent event in Seattle) lead the highly competitive Pro Stock category, and are one shy of tying his personal single-season hit set in 2009. In addition, his seven finishes of the semifinals or better and ten top four qualifying performances (including being the No. 1 qualifier in Charlotte and Englishtown) have him atop the championship standings with two races remaining before start of the playoffs in September. Even so, the 2006 champion believes that there is still room for improvement.

“So far this season, I would give ourselves a B+,” said Line. “On the positive side, our Summit Racing Pontiac has run extremely well for most of the season, while on the down side, even though we’ve won four races, I think we left a couple more on the table.

“But in the overall picture, it’s all good, and the fact that Greg and I are 1-2 in the points coming into this race says a lot about this KB Racing team. I definitely feel we are hitting our stride at the right time, just as the Countdown is about to start, with everyone on the crew on the same page.

“The important part is that we all maintain our focus, because there is a lot of racing left and lot of work still to be done, starting this weekend. The conditions in Brainerd can be quite challenging, and we need to be ready for whatever’s thrown at us. As for this weekend, I certainly wouldn’t mind a repeat of Seattle (where Line bested teammate Anderson in an all-Summit final), and certainly think it’s possible. Let’s just say I like our chances, and I couldn’t think of anything better than standing in the Brainerd winner’s circle on Sunday night with my team, my friends and my family, celebrating my first win at my home track.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back