Marketing Thoughts and NHRA Pro Racing (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
Has anyone noticed the huge and growing success of Monster Truck racing (?).
After you get over the disgust of watching guys jump around an arena with a car that has a huge set of dog ears on it, you start to realize these guys are enormously popular and marketable. They make a huge effort to develop nicknames and car names that a fan can embrace.

Maybe there is a trick or two we can borrow from the Monster Truck tribe. Maybe it is time we brought back giving cars names and personas (no capes or dog ears please). Sit down with an old timer and they won't get wistful over The Caterpillar car or the Skoal dragster. They will recall the time at The County when The Bounty Hunter shut down The Fighting Irish. Or the gasp when you first saw the Infinity Firebird roll out of the the trailer for the first time.

Today's professional race cars are as soulless as a slap fight between Clay Millican and Morgan Lucas. (Now, Ed The Ace McCullough dealing justice in the shutdown area DEFINATELY has soul.)

What faster way to brand your car and or driver than with a nick name. Jungle Jim Liberman, Color Me Gone, Tom The Mongoo$e McEwen, The Wheeler Dealer

Bringing back car names and driver nicknames can really give a new fan something to attach their interest to until they learn the sport.

Firesuit on, visor down, flame away.

Mark

monster truck racing is the equivalent of Professional Wrestling on wheels. If it came to that in drag racing I'd never go to another national even. Its already enough of a dog and pony show

While I agree some of that needs to come back. We must remember that the cost has gone up and in order to pay for the cars, the sponsor needs to be on the side. I guess you could say that they buy the naming rights to the car.

I think many nicknames would want to be wrapped near the sponsor and if that changes then where are they. Could Tom the Mongoose have driven a car sponsored by Puma shoes? Could Don the Snake have had a car sponsored by Croc's? Too much cross animalization

We do have Sarge- maybe he could call his the Patroit Missle

We have the Bud Price- um maybe the Bud Mobile....hey that could work, then we could get old Paulie Shore clips yelling his trademark Hey buuuuuuuuudy everytime the car comes to the line:D

I can walk into Wal Mart or Target or Toys R Us and buy my son pretty much any Monster Truck item he wants.

I can't do that with his favorite NHRA drivers. I have to go online, or to the track.

You have to be visible in the market place to grow your audience. The NHRA is not visible outside of the race track for the majority of the people in this country. You have to go looking for it to find it.

It has nothing to do with the names on the sides of the vehicles, in my opinion.

The original poster made an interesting point, but there's much more to the story than just the marketing.

Monster truck racing reached a crossroads a few years back when the present format was being devised. Did anyone ever stop to think that the original monster truck (Bigfoot) is nowhere to be seen these days?

Clear Channel (yes, the company that controlled/controls IHRA) came up with a marketing angle that called for large arena shows, managed competition, and hired drivers. Translated: they owned and promoted the series, owned most the trucks, decided who would "win" an event, and paid the drivers a salary.

Bob Chandler, who debuted the first Bigfoot years ago just a few miles south of here at a river/picnic public area, would not agree to the loss of ownership of his truck nor the end of competition. He and a few other drivers decided to do their own series and keep things the way they had already been.

Trouble was, when they went to buy a date at any of the large arenas capable of holding a large crowd and monster trucks, they were turned down. It seems that Clear Channel had included a clause that would not allow any of the sites to do business with any other monster truck promoter.

They were able to pull this off since Clear Channel was responsible for booking most of the large concerts in those same venues. That carries a tremendous amount of clout with the location managers since it was a very large part of their total income.

So if you've seen Bigfoot lately, it's been at a county fair or such.

As for the marketing, you'll notice that what seems to be the most popular truck (with loads of merchandise to buy) is Gravedigger. It's also the first truck that Clear Channel bought.

So anyhow, sorry for the digression. I guess I'm simply pointing out that comparing the marketing for monster trucks and drag racing is very much a case of "be careful what you ask for".

This whole area is one of the main reasons I disliked the Countdown so much. A large part of the marketing of monster trucks has to do with putting on the most entertaining (in the marketers' view) show possible which is why true competition no longer exists. The Countdown is a close relative and a first step down that path as far as I'm concerned.

A large part of the marketing of monster trucks has to do with putting on the most entertaining (in the marketers' view) show possible which is why true competition no longer exists. The Countdown is a close relative and a first step down that path as far as I'm concerned.

why do you say true competetion no longer exists? The show is set up to provide maximum entertainment, but they do qualify on time, set a bracket, and race.

The way I understood it, the only real change was that all the drivers get paid the same, no matter what place they finish.

Now the part of the show that is judged by fans is another matter for discussion entirely..

and the countdown still sucks.. :D

why do you say true competetion no longer exists? The show is set up to provide maximum entertainment, but they do qualify on time, set a bracket, and race.

The way I understood it, the only real change was that all the drivers get paid the same, no matter what place they finish.

Now the part of the show that is judged by fans is another matter for discussion entirely..

and the countdown still sucks.. :D

Though it's certainly not micro-managed as much, the entertainment model is much too close to professional wrestling for me not to think the outcome isn't mostly pre-determined.

And come to think of it, that may not be a fair statement as I do not have first hand information. It's just a conjecture taking in the facts that:

It's 2008.

"Reality" programs are scripted, managed, tweaked, and edited for most appeal.

What happens in real life is almost never as interesting or emotional as the output of a good scriptwriter/marketer.

Monster truck racing has a Huge PR machine behind it! Besides there is only ONE class of Monster truck, not 8-9 like in Drag racing classes. Apples and Oranges

What happens in real life is almost never as interesting or emotional as the output of a good scriptwriter/marketer.

that is a great line and undoubtedly true.

if NHRA and it's racers say they want to follow in nascar's footsteps.......
and i believe that's the goal.......more fans, more sponsors, more tv, more $$,
then i would think some micro-managed entertainment is almost mandatory; although i would love to be proven wrong.

Though it's certainly not micro-managed as much, the entertainment model is much too close to professional wrestling for me not to think the outcome isn't mostly pre-determined.

And come to think of it, that may not be a fair statement as I do not have first hand information. It's just a conjecture taking in the facts that:

It's 2008.

"Reality" programs are scripted, managed, tweaked, and edited for most appeal.

can't say I find fault in your thought process.

I would think it would be hard to totally script, due to the massive amounts of equipment failure that can through a wrench in things.

it is very entertaining, if you like loud machines, and watching trucks 30+ feet in the air, but still not as much fun as a day at the strip.

But I do think the NHRA could take a lesson from some of the marketing the tour does. It is a well oiled machine.

Monster trucks has always given me a mid winter loud engine break from all the snow. Holds me over until the drag strip opens in the spring.

I don't think the race part is scripted but the "artistic" destruction to end the shows have a bit behind it.

I don't view it as a full 100% competition though. Regardless its fun to go see, my kids like it, and I'll watch it when I flip by Speed and see it on.

monster truck racing is the equivalent of Professional Wrestling on wheels. If it came to that in drag racing I'd never go to another national even. Its already enough of a dog and pony show

The original poster made an interesting point, but there's much more to the story than just the marketing.

Monster truck racing reached a crossroads a few years back when the present format was being devised. Did anyone ever stop to think that the original monster truck (Bigfoot) is nowhere to be seen these days?

Clear Channel (yes, the company that controlled/controls IHRA) came up with a marketing angle that called for large arena shows, managed competition, and hired drivers. Translated: they owned and promoted the series, owned most the trucks, decided who would "win" an event, and paid the drivers a salary.

Bob Chandler, who debuted the first Bigfoot years ago just a few miles south of here at a river/picnic public area, would not agree to the loss of ownership of his truck nor the end of competition. He and a few other drivers decided to do their own series and keep things the way they had already been.

Trouble was, when they went to buy a date at any of the large arenas capable of holding a large crowd and monster trucks, they were turned down. It seems that Clear Channel had included a clause that would not allow any of the sites to do business with any other monster truck promoter.

They were able to pull this off since Clear Channel was responsible for booking most of the large concerts in those same venues. That carries a tremendous amount of clout with the location managers since it was a very large part of their total income.

So if you've seen Bigfoot lately, it's been at a county fair or such.

As for the marketing, you'll notice that what seems to be the most popular truck (with loads of merchandise to buy) is Gravedigger. It's also the first truck that Clear Channel bought.

So anyhow, sorry for the digression. I guess I'm simply pointing out that comparing the marketing for monster trucks and drag racing is very much a case of "be careful what you ask for".

This whole area is one of the main reasons I disliked the Countdown so much. A large part of the marketing of monster trucks has to do with putting on the most entertaining (in the marketers' view) show possible which is why true competition no longer exists. The Countdown is a close relative and a first step down that path as far as I'm concerned.

So basically it really IS professional wrestling on wheels. Thank you for proving my point

If you all are through parading around here congratulating yourselves on being so smart, let's return to my original intent of the original posting.

Drag racing's cars leave little to be emotionally involved. No one is going to sit in the grandstands and lament not seeing Antron Brown's Matco car. Corporate race cars leave me cold.

No one is going to miss Tommy Johnson when the Bernstein thing is finally put out of its money eating misery. No nickname, no personality--just a real nice man who tried hard to get a good ride and win a couple of races. Nothing that becomes a legend.

I guess what I am trying to communicate to the other keyboard crew chiefs is the infusion of Monster Trucks personality and personalities into the real deal, life and death world of drag racing can only be a good thing.

Ever stop to think why the Heritage series is so popular? It reminds us of a time when "cars were the stars" and personality did not get you fined.

Frankly I am astonished that savvy corporate communicators haven't latched on the the idea of adding more personality to the machine and driver they sponsor. Imagine Jungle Jim(rip) backed by Miller Beer. Still a large Jungle Jim on the door but on the quarter panels, it is obvious to everyone who backs Jungle. What a great combo-Miller funds the racing, Miller gets Jungle's rebellious fun loving American persona tied to their product. Jungle would have been huge today for the same reason Dale Jr. was so huge when he first pulled on the red firesuit. A distinct marketable personality. Sadly, NAPCAR today has neutered him to such an extent that he wouldn't even threaten a preacher.

Mark

if you watch a nascar race, every commercial is about nascar and has nascar drivers in the commercials, why cant drag racers do commercials? im sure ALL of them have some time during the week to shoot a spot, nascar is so popular because they market thier drivers over thier performance, drag racing trys to market the performance, which no one can relate too. the ytneed to market thier drivers, the current riff between full and $humacher is a great thing i think. drama gets viewers. and ive said a million times bring back car names, thats just cool as all hell. but nah the powers to be in glendora will just keep it vanilla as ever :mad:

If you all are through parading around here congratulating yourselves on being so smart, let's return to my original intent of the original posting.

Drag racing's cars leave little to be emotionally involved. No one is going to sit in the grandstands and lament not seeing Antron Brown's Matco car. Corporate race cars leave me cold.

No one is going to miss Tommy Johnson when the Bernstein thing is finally put out of its money eating misery. No nickname, no personality--just a real nice man who tried hard to get a good ride and win a couple of races. Nothing that becomes a legend.

I guess what I am trying to communicate to the other keyboard crew chiefs is the infusion of Monster Trucks personality and personalities into the real deal, life and death world of drag racing can only be a good thing.

Ever stop to think why the Heritage series is so popular? It reminds us of a time when "cars were the stars" and personality did not get you fined.

Frankly I am astonished that savvy corporate communicators haven't latched on the the idea of adding more personality to the machine and driver they sponsor. Imagine Jungle Jim(rip) backed by Miller Beer. Still a large Jungle Jim on the door but on the quarter panels, it is obvious to everyone who backs Jungle. What a great combo-Miller funds the racing, Miller gets Jungle's rebellious fun loving American persona tied to their product. Jungle would have been huge today for the same reason Dale Jr. was so huge when he first pulled on the red firesuit. A distinct marketable personality. Sadly, NAPCAR today has neutered him to such an extent that he wouldn't even threaten a preacher.

Mark

Like I said, I think you have an interesting idea. I wasn't taking a shot at your post, just trying to add to the discussion as to what needed to happen.

Believe it or not, it hasn't been that long ago that NHRA was taking flak since they weren't known for marketing their personalities. NASCAR was growing by leaps and bounds at that time, and they were full bore into promoting the drivers. It's about the time when every Cup driver's name (above the driver's window) changed from readable text to a replica of their signature. THAT'S personalization!

Way back when, Wally had wanted to promote the cars and not the people. I don't remember whether it was an outright statement or just that he let his feelings be known - the older hands on here could straighten me out on this.

Anyhow, that's why we had the Chizler, Glass Slipper, Rain for Rent, Pandemonium, Ramchargers, Color Me Gone -- the list is almost endless and you can finish it out. Sure, we had Garlits but one might note that his name does not appear anywhere in the NHRA's "yearbook" covering the 50th anniversary.

Which way do we go? Back to the old days and embrace the personalities? Jump into the new ways and promote the drivers? I can see good points for either approach.

And for those slamming NHRA for not having the current drivers in commercials - for once it's not their fault. This goes back to the discussion we had a few months back regarding the series sponsor's lack of interest in any such promotions, and that many of us felt they set the pace for the other sponsors to do the same.

Those ads you see with NASCAR drivers are what's called activation. You've got your name in front of the public, and now you actually do something with it.

Either way we go, the activation is what has to happen to get drag racing as something most people are aware of.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back