Make mine vanilla (1 Viewer)

EFI in Pro Stock is way over due. But why must we wait for Nascar??

Probably to see how NASCAR, with it's huge tech department, regulates/polices a (gasp) computer controlling the fuel system. This article is a year old, and efi will very likely not be in NASCAR for 2011, but clearly shows how concerned the series is about controlling (although the word is not used) . . . cheating.
I think efi is long overdue in P/S, but this could turn into a battle between NHRA Tech and high budget teams who can hire experts who have decades of experience.

NASCAR may be signaling for a turn toward fuel injection | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Jim, why is there a need to regulate it?? Either give them EFI or don't.

The first thing that comes to mind is escalating costs even further. Does NHRA pay someone like Accel to develop a spec ECU that would be issued to racers at each event or do they just let teams have at it? There are several teams that seem to be willing to spend unlimited money and still can't win a race.
Other teams are lucky to just make it to a race - can they afford to throw away very expensive carbs and intakes and buy or develop efi?
Teams are already spending millions, do they need to add an IT team to their payroll? Is there a cost effective solution to this that would not further distance top teams from the rest of the field? I don't know, but if you have one, I'd like to hear it!

I would expect that they would each be given a "spec" unit that they would be allowed to load their own maps into.

If you allow teams to develop their own units and their integration into the car and the interaction with various sensors on the car you are asking for trouble.

There is EFI is stock, super stock, comp, and Pro Mod, plus probably some in TS, TD, SC, SG, and SST. It's about time for Pro Stock and who cares what NASCAR does.

There is EFI is stock, super stock, comp, and Pro Mod, plus probably some in TS, TD, SC, SG, and SST. It's about time for Pro Stock and who cares what NASCAR does.

Prof Dave....I'm gonna put my dunce hat on for this question because quite honestly, I don't know the answer..

If Pro Stock goes to an EFI set up, will the cars go quicker and faster? Or does EFI provide a cost savings solution?

Just not to knowledgeable on the EFI stuff... give me a good ol 4-barrel or standard injector set up and I'm good to go....

The Perfessor has been campaigning for EFI in P/S for some time now. I think he's even run a few tests with a unit he developed, iffen I remember correctly. I'm all for it. In addition to getting rid of the scoops, I think they ought to return to more stock proportions on the bodies, and even throw the rear view mirrors back on.

The Perfessor has been campaigning for EFI in P/S for some time now. I think he's even run a few tests with a unit he developed, iffen I remember correctly. I'm all for it. In addition to getting rid of the scoops, I think they ought to return to more stock proportions on the bodies, and even throw the rear view mirrors back on.

I agree with The Professor that removing the huge scoops would make the Pro Stock cars look a little closer to factory looking cars, but I've never understood why EFI has no need for a scoop, or at least not a large one. I guess a good part of it is there is no need for a tunnel ram manifold which is what takes up a good part of what is hidden by the huge hood scoops, but is there no need for the ram-air effect of a scoop or will it just mean a shorter one is all that is needed? Anyone know?

PS: Rear view mirrors...LOL :rolleyes:

I have been waiting for a long time for this. The cars looking like the cars they're modeled after, the hood scoops getting thrown into the trash can, and 21st century (not 19th!!) technology in place on the most technologically advanced cars on the property next to Comp cars.

These cars in no way (scoops or not) look like the production cars they are supposed to emulate. When those scoops go away it will show just how goofy those tent-shaped hoods, that are trying to cover those huge engines underneath, look.

indy_sunday_martin.JPG

If there will be no more hood scoops, why does "Mr. EFI" Harold Martin run one on all his cars? The throttle bodies have do get air right?

Last edited:
May I ask, why?? Like I said traction is one of the goals of our sport.
Goodness knows we already have traction control devices, why not electronic??
just askin....

Why, sure, you can ask...:)

Even though Pro Stock cars share little with their street counterparts, NHRA strives to keep a semblance of 'purity', for lack of a better word. It's the reason pushbutton air shifters were banned years ago in favor of those where the driver actually has to row through the gears with a manual shifter.

Setting the suspension, clutch, etc. to insure a proper Pro Stock launch is the single biggest challenge to Pro Stock teams, and that's exactly what NHRA wants PS to be - a challenge. One could make a claim that it's done to keep costs down but that doesn't fly quite like it used to. Costs are ridiculous as it is - what's a few thousand more?

Again, control of the launch is what separates the men from the boys, and ensures Pro Stock will remain an interesting class to both watch and compete in. NHRA wants it to remain that way, so - no ETS.

Nitro classes are a different can of worms. Even if electronic traction control were allowed, you're dealing with a huge, violent amount of power and engines that don't take kindly to rapid-fire timing changes, cylinder shutoffs, etc. which are methods used by current street ETS systems. One could devise a system that works in conjunction with the brakes, I suppose, but I still say the technological expertise needed to employ traction control on a fuel car would be a daunting task, indeed.

Besides, don't you like a pedalfest now and then? ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back