Legends at each race (1 Viewer)

What happened to all the Legends out there ?

seems like the same ones !!

The only legends that the "new" NHRA Suits know of, what a shame...

Let's see, might Austin Coil be an appropriate legend or Dick LaHaie, Billy Meyer, Bob Glidden, Tom McEwen or even the Greek... Garlits is one of the only legends that they know in Glendora.

If you don't have a sense of your own history, how can you run a sanctioning body?

The only legends that the "new" NHRA Suits know of, what a shame...

Let's see, might Austin Coil be an appropriate legend or Dick LaHaie, Billy Meyer, Bob Glidden, Tom McEwen or even the Greek... Garlits is one of the only legends that they know in Glendora.

If you don't have a sense of your own history, how can you run a sanctioning body?

Thank You! I never commented cause I have a horrible rep for bashing the NHRA and will get 3,000 guys down my throat in a second. What a point you made!

What about Tommy Ivo, Ed The Ace, Dale Armstrong, Bob Newberry, Frank Hawley. This so called 60th year other than the trophy aint much different than the 59th! I give credit to the NHRA for a fantastic 50th, come on guys, work harder!

I'm kinda dissapointed in the "legend" selection for Brainerd. The "legend" of choice is Forrest Lucas, a fine upstanding supporter and benefactor of the sport, but not quite a legend. You'd think that they'd have at least thought of using WJ..he's a Minnesota legend and a much more apropriate choice in my opinion. I realise that it is the "Lucas Oil Nationals", but seriously ??:confused:

The first clue is the fact that the majority of "suits" in NHRA had never seen a drag race before they were hired! Of course they don't know the history...that being anything before their hire date.

I too am wondering why it's the same people all the time. Chicago should had have the original "Chi-town Hustler" driver & crew, and a run by the re-created car. God forbid the "suits' would come up with anything original or creative.

Yes, I bash NHRA and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. It's being run into the ground!

its the tracks who get to pick the legend to have at their event not glendora.

If this is true Jeff, then its even worse than I thought. To me, they should pick local people and people who are actual legends.

Here in Houston, we had Shirley. A legend for sure, but she's got nothing to do with Houston. I think Eddie Hill, Billy Meyer, Gene Snow, Kenny Bernstein, hell a host of others would have been better than her.

Who is the legend for Sonoma? Frank Bradley would seem suitable.

OALLReilly%20NHRA%20Legends_md.jpg

More of the same...

Infineon Raceway will honor quarter-mile legends “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, Shirley “Cha Cha” Muldowney and Don “The Snake” Prudhomme. :rolleyes:

Suits strike again

why a special '60th year' to honor champions?
22 races/year in all corners of the country; as if the previous 'names' of the
sport don't show up at the races anyways?
heros of the sport should be honored at every race, every year.

for the 60th year, maybe should have $60k pro winner's checks?

Once again its the tracks that pick who they want, that is usually based on who they think might bring more people through the gate to see them.

You guys can bash NHRA all you want, but as Jeff pointed out, it's not them making the choices. Also, I'm not discounting any of the names mentioned in this thread, but if you were hoping to sell tickets to your event, would you rather say

"Come out and meet Big Daddy Don Garlits!"

or

"Come out and meet Frank Bradley!"

I absolutely agree that the beard is a legend, but the average fan probably wouldn't recognize the name.

Alan

I wasn't bashing NHRA I was just stating an opinion! Of course Garlits is a more recognizable name but personally I think it would be cool to honor the local guys of each race. Assuming there is someone. Honestly how many fans get to actually meet the legend!

...........but if you were hoping to sell tickets to your event, would you rather say

"Come out and meet Big Daddy Don Garlits!"

or

"Come out and meet Frank Bradley!"

I absolutely agree that the beard is a legend, but the average fan probably wouldn't recognize the name.

Alan

and that leads to brainerd's choice of F. Lucas.......if the tracks are responsible for the choice, it also seems obvious money is also an issue
(surprise) ...........as mentioned.....

"come out and meet Forrest Lucas"
or
"come out and meet Big Daddy Don Garlits"

Forrest is there for his event - Don is not; i'm sure Don would like to be
the 'legend' at brainerd or any other event, as would i, but i'm also fairly
sure he's not willing to incur the travel expenses to be a legend either;
and it's somewhat obvious BIR is not either.

but i think it's good that BIR is choosing Forrest - all year the legends are
truly great champions of the past and we love them, but IMO there are
only positives that can come from recognizing folks that are presently
highly invested in the sport.......don schumacher, connie kalitta, john force
would be three others that come to mind.

and that leads to brainerd's choice of F. Lucas.......if the tracks are responsible for the choice, it also seems obvious money is also an issue
(surprise) ...........as mentioned.....

"come out and meet Forrest Lucas"
or
"come out and meet Big Daddy Don Garlits"

Id love to see Garlits.. in person... but I guess Id rather give the honor to Forrest in Brainerd... since he's the sponsor. Keep him happy so they keep coming back to BIR every year.

I said see Garlits, as someone mentioned before, very very small fraction if any will actually get to meet him other then for an autograph.

But even as Alan and Mike talked about, the reasons for picking the Legend are out of the spirit behind the honoring an NHRA Legend, which makes it awkward and wierd seeing the same couple of people over and over. Wonder if Garlits has that in the back of his mind when he is being honored over so many other deserving people.

Love Garlits though, don't want to take anything away from him at all. This legends deal puts him in a wierd position though, how does he say no when all he wants to do is promote the sport?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back