las Vegas (2 Viewers)

Dragracer

Nitro Member
If what I am seeing in the stands during the first T/F round they have about the worst attendance I have ever seen.
if Burton makes it 4 lane he better start giving tickets away free on the LV Strip.

Last edited:
If what I am seeing in the stands during the first T/F round they have about the worst attendance I have ever seen.
if Burton makes it 4 lane he better start giving tickets away free on the LV Strip.
Nobody better try to tell me "it just looks that way because its a big place". Tons of open space (shiny aluminum) and TV shows it very well. Place looks deserted.

Chris Cook texted me several times from The Strip during the weekend saying "there's nobody here". During yesterday's fuel sessions, it sounded like the main grandstand was about 1/4 full.

I normally don't pay much attention to the stands when I watch on TV, but even I noticed how bare it was.

Were there other events is town, iffy weather or something?

There is a thread every year on here about how bad the crowd is at Vegas 1. Given that, I was still surprised how small the crowd was (even though it picked up on Sunday by a good margin). There was never a line for anything and it was very easy to move around the pits. There were more people on the GA side all weekend than the reserved (pit) side grandstand. To give you an idea, on Saturday during Q3, Dom Lagana oiled the track down. When the trucks started to roll, I went to the restroom under the main grandstand and I was the ONLY person at the urinals. That has never happened before. They must have had an idea the crowd would be down, because they were advertising the race like crazy on sports talk radio and TV commercials. I would say that they made it up off the back gate, but very few of the categories met quota ... there were only 16 Comp cars on property, only 11 TADs and the Pro categories barely filled out a 16 car ladder.

With all of that being said, I still had a great time and the racing was fantastic and there was no where I would rather have been this past weekend.

That's where I was!! Great event highlighted by the "Spirit of Texas" Top Fuel Hydro running 274.95 MPH!!!!

as most of us can attest, the older you get the faster each year seems to pass; and i think it's fair to say many of us have
'annual' events/trips/vacations we look forward to every year. IMO it is no surprise that tracks with 2 events have one that fails.
races are somewhat expensive; the youth you want to attend mite do so for one, but most likely not two; they have many other
fun events to spend their money on.
then there is the aging crowd who has the money to attend 2x, but why? we all remember how things were just 10-15 years ago
and wonder why so much has been taken away from the sport. we come and get our nitro fix once a year and that is enough,
and my guess is each year a few less of the 'former' fans keep coming back; i am one of them, if not for the extracurriculars
at brainerd i would cease to attend.

why is this so hard for everyone to understand?, other than to a few diehards (and i am becoming less and less of one), nhra
pro racing is boring, the same faces spouting the same cliches week after week. i am happy there will be 5 live sunday races this
year and i sincerely hope the ratings bump up for these races, but if i've got anything else to do on a sunny, warm sunday afternoon,
i will not be one of the viewers. in 1 minute on my cell phone.....'oh, hines, enders, schumacher and hagan win again'.
big deal.

amen Mike, I turned the channel and watched PDRA on the internet, u got alky cars running in the 5.20's and 270/280 in NHRA the pro's are boring

Last edited:
I wasn't able to attend Vegas this year, but my son was there Friday and said it was like a ghost town. Admittedly Fridays draw a smaller crowd, but according to him this was far lighter than just a "Friday crowd." And to Mike's point, I have to agree the pro classes are boring - the sportsman classes are far more interesting competition. Sad that a sport as awesome as drag racing is presented on TV in a way that seems lackluster.

I couldn't have said it any better Mike. I'm down to one per year. Although I'd like to take my grandsons to Indy this year.

My Dad is the same way Mike, he used to go to 7 or 8 National Events a year and bring the camper. Now, it is Indy only, (although we did get him out to Vegas 2 last Fall) and if it wasn't for everyone hanging out and having a good time in the campground at Indy (have camped with the same people for years), I doubt my Dad would go to Indy. 1,000ft was a big deal breaker for him and he hates how the cars look and how they all look the same. He does attend the Hot Rod Reunion at Bowling Green every year though, so he still gets a couple of nice Nitro doses to keep him sane (somewhat).

This thread sounds like deja vu all over again. Ive never been to any race in vegas cause its too far for me. But Ive been hearing this for yrs.
I go to 2 or 3 races a yr. But i dont think I would go to 2 races at the same track. I like the variety of different places. And I guess Im not old enough yet cause i love the Pro classes

The fall vegas race is a hoot with Halloween in Vegas and all the fun and frivolity that happens that weekend. If the timing fallls just right you can also pickup SEMA or the Reunion at Bakersfield. Or perhaps all three and Pomona althought the the schedule has not lately been kind to doing more than 2 or 3 events.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back