Larry Morgan,,, and Ford in P/S (1 Viewer)

I sort of thought the focus was more on LM. i think everybody here understands the brand is nearing irrelevant as the physics of these particular rules keep pointing everyone to more and more similar engines. Based on that, other than working out small kinks, LM is likely to reach the same level as he did with the other brands. Not a world beater, but, like mentioned, with 17 wins, he's in the 2ND tier of P/S. I'd be surprised to see him reach Anderson status, but he'll probably add to his win total before he's done.

I sort of thought the focus was more on LM. i think everybody here understands the brand is nearing irrelevant as the physics of these particular rules keep pointing everyone to more and more similar engines..

That's very true. In that vein, he might as well have stayed with Mopar.

While I would have to give Morgan and the whole Ford program a C+ for the year, that is probably being a little harsh. Although Larry had some notable DNQs, mainly Pomona and INDY, there was also at least one race where he qualified .029 off of the pole. So, as far as potential, I think it's there considering they're up against the gm drce (15+ years of development by 10 or more of the top shops in the country), and the Mopar hemi (10 years of development by a few other top shelf engine shops), I don't think they're that far behind at all. If Morgan (and I don't mean to dis Morgan) has gotten this close this soon, imagine what would have happened if, say, Anderson, Cagnazzi, Edwards, or the new Johnny Gray shop with Joe Hornick running things would have done with the Ford. I've said all along that we needed at least one top shelf team to come over to our side before you would see the true potential of the new Fords.
If Bob stays healthy and stays with the Cunningham bunch, I expect them to be a much tougher out next year. Morgan should be improved from 2010 with 3 months for development. Our best hope I think though will be Justin Humphries if Roush/Yates are able to break through. I do think they're finding it a little tougher than they first thought. But I still think they will get there. We shall see.

When you look at Morgan's numbers at Pomona 2, 6.628 and compare that to Bob Yonke's 16th qualified 6.608, that's 2 hundredths off the bump and a little over 7 hundredths off Allen Johnson's pole time of 6.551. Now on paper that's probably miniscule, but the problem is in Pro Stock thousandths of a second are what engine builders poor over dynos to find. Another clue to power is top speed, the slowest qualified mph was Yonke's 209.39, Larry was a 208.42, and AJ was 211.43. The Ford is down on power, even Bob Glidden has gone on record with that. I really think the Roush Yates deal will be a good one should they stay committed to it and not bail. The fact that Humphreys' Mustang didn't make an apperance is probably a hint that the engine program isn't up to par just yet. Personally, I don't understand why Doug Yates didn't just hire Glidden to run that program to begin with. I'm not throwing Larry under the bus, but it's gonna be tough to find that much needed power when there's a limit on testing, new/start up programs really suffer as a result of this. Glidden and Cunningham, honestly, that's a crap shoot. Bob doesn't exactly have the greatest track record when it comes to being an employee. So who knows what will happen there. I do think another top well financed established team would be a huge benefit to Ford. I just don't see any of those teams jumping ship at this point in time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back