Larry did what !!!!!????? (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
ok i know they had an agreement and i know Larry hasnt won in a while but is it me or did taking his motor back before the final seem a bit tacky !! if it was a financial issue, than why not just agree to pay for the motor with rickys final round appearance money !!

Last edited:
Apparently, the original lease was for qualifying only. Larry ended up letting them run the motor in eliminations with the stipulation that if they had to race each other at any point, the motor came out. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Congratulations to Larry Morgan and team!

It's not the first time It's happened in Pro Stock. I can't think of the race, but in the mid 80's I think Joe Lepone had to swich motors 3 times in one day becasue he kept going up against teams he was borrowing an engine from.

Actually, iffen I remember the TV show right, he only had to give it up if they met in the final.

The final results would indicate that the engine Rick Jones ended up using wasn't exactly a slouch:

(W) Larry Morgan (Lucas Oil Stratus) 6.720 205.69
(L) Rickie Jones (Quarter-Max/RJ Stratus) 6.794 203.16

It's not the first time It's happened in Pro Stock. I can't think of the race, but in the mid 80's I think Joe Lepone had to swich motors 3 times in one day becasue he kept going up against teams he was borrowing an engine from.

First race at Heartland Park Topeka 1989. Lepone was using one of Frank Iaconio's engines, I don't remember if it was because of broken engines or just down on power. Joe won the first two rounds with one of Frank's engines. Iaconio and Lepone were to race in the Semis, Joe took Frank's engine out and put in a borrowed one from Lee Dean. Lepone did his burnout, backed up really quickly, and staged. Frank liked to light both stage bulbs at once, and just sit and wait on his opponent. Joe caught Frank at idle as Buster threw the switch, easily picking up the round win. For the final, Lepone put Frank's engine back in the car, as he was facing Darrell Alderman. The result was Alderman winning.

Well if you saw the interaction between the two after the race, I think you'll see it was all good. I'm very happy for Larry, he's works incredibly hard at this. And, neither the runner-up or even winner's purse would pay for one of those motors..

First race at Heartland Park Topeka 1989. Lepone was using one of Frank Iaconio's engines, I don't remember if it was because of broken engines or just down on power. Joe won the first two rounds with one of Frank's engines. Iaconio and Lepone were to race in the Semis, Joe took Frank's engine out and put in a borrowed one from Lee Dean. Lepone did his burnout, backed up really quickly, and staged. Frank liked to light both stage bulbs at once, and just sit and wait on his opponent. Joe caught Frank at idle as Buster threw the switch, easily picking up the round win. For the final, Lepone put Frank's engine back in the car, as he was facing Darrell Alderman. The result was Alderman winning.

Thanks! I knew it was something like that! :D

No, it's not tacky in the least but simply a business arrangement that both parties were happy with.

Remember what Rickie's father does for a living and that it would not be in any Pro Stock racer's best interest to get on his wrong side.

Regardless, when thinking of taking unfair advantage of others, being stingy, hard to get along with, and prone to trick-playing ---

Of all the Pro Stock racers I know, Larry Morgan is the LAST that would come to mind. I've seen him do things that didn't make business sense because he thought someone needed a break.

How could Jones be upset, he's never run that well before, thanks to Morgan he made it to his first final round. He was so happy he even gave Morgan a kiss :D All good stuff.

Thanks for the memories Keith! I was at that race and remember it well. What a show / soap opera!
:D

I dont believe you all. That is the same as team orders any way you look at it. If Force had lease a motor to someone and when the ran his team he took it back you all would be up in arms about how he cheated. What is the different
:confused:

I dont believe you all. That is the same as team orders any way you look at it. If Force had lease a motor to someone and when the ran his team he took it back you all would be up in arms about how he cheated. What is the different
:confused:

I wasn't aware there was a team there, I thought this was a business transaction.

This was a business decision from a customer (Jones) to a supplier (Morgan). It was predetermined that the MOTOR would be returned, not that one would dive for the other.

Jones had every opportunity to beat Morgan with his own powerplant which I dare say is more palatable to Jones because it's HIS powerplant, not Morgan. Jones would have been just as happy to win with his own motor, than motors, just my theory.

The winner was Morgan on the track, who won/lost the business deal is to be determined by Morgan and Jones...not us. Seemed to me both were happy with it...

Fire away, I'm shooting with my own gun tonight, and not the borrowed one. ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back