Just did the math. (1 Viewer)

Husky

Nitro Member
If a Fuel car is turning appx 7500 rpm's and it takes appx 4.5 seconds to cover the 1/4 mile, that translates to the total mayhem of a TF run being done in appx. 562.5 Revs! All numbers are appx, but fairly close.

Mike,

I love doing the math, how about this, At 9000 RPM's the spark plugs each fire 75 times PER SECOND And the coil fires 600 times PER SECOND.

Alan

I know it a scale drag car by my 1/24 scale AA/FC ran a scale 1/4 (55 ft) at
.451 of a second at 128 true MPH. The motor was turning something like 230,000 rpm's at the end of a run:eek:

thats like an 11 second full 1/4 mile....pretty good for little car like that

If a Fuel car is turning appx 7500 rpm's and it takes appx 4.5 seconds to cover the 1/4 mile, that translates to the total mayhem of a TF run being done in appx. 562.5 Revs! All numbers are appx, but fairly close.

Mike - I also love this stuff! My math says Tony's motor turned over 589 times during "The Run" - :D Can ya figure out how many times the slicks rotate during a successful pass?
When you look at a fuel car pass from this perspective, it's easy to understand why tuners are walking a tightrope. And, of course, we haven't addressed slide valves, clutch cannons and timing curves - :cool:

Can anybody figure out how many dollars Alan Johnson makes per engine revolution? I don't have the formula for that one!

Mike,

I love doing the math, how about this, At 9000 RPM's the spark plugs each fire 75 times PER SECOND And the coil fires 600 times PER SECOND.

Alan

What's even more amazing to me. If the spark plug fires 75 times a second, that piston does 300 strokes a second. Times eight would be 2,400 for all of them.

There's an interesting one for someone to work out. How much distance do ALL the pistons have to travel for a particular car to make a quarter mile run? Just base it on the engine's average RPM for the pass?

Reminds me of when people would ask Warren Johnon questions like "If you dropped a pro stock car from a tree limb at "X" distance, at what speed would it contact the ground?" and he'd spend a whole back page in ND explaining the answer, factoring in whether it tumbled or not, etc. :)

Last edited:
Can ya figure out how many times the slicks rotate during a successful pass?

Thats an interesting question... what is the overall diameter of a TF tire when its fully expanded.. how many times will it rotate to cover the 1/4 assuming there is NO spin.. I don't think its very many...

Wait, was Alan's "75 sparks a second" WITH an MSD? LOL (multiple spark discharge unit). Would fire a lot more times than that, actually.

Last edited:
Remember the Motors today are turning 8,400-8,500 RPM! With the 3.20 gear they run, the Tires are turning 2,600 RPM at the Stripe.

OK so all we need is someone to give us the diameter of the tire when its expanded..

Don't forget to account for the fact that the clutch doesn't fully engage until nearly the end of the track.

It 'might' be better to figure the average RPM of the engine 8200(?) X 4.5 seconds = 615 revolutions.

Either way it is madness! :eek:

I may be way off, but isn't the roll-out, before a run, of a fuel tire something like 102-105 inches?

This is a dangerous thread ...could spend hours on the unbelievable physics of fast drag cars. :D

Alan - the coil firing 600 times/sec really makes a good argument for the independent coils on the PST engines because at the 10500 those things turned, that's 700 times/sec.

Using the 105" rollout that Nunzio mentioned, that's about 150 revolutions to cover 1320 ft with NO slip. Since we know the rollout at the top end is larger than that (10% increase would be 115" or so) then the revolutions would be less but then you account for a "blacktracking" car and the revs go right back to around 150.

The one that always gets to me is the 60ft accelerations of the fuel guys. These days a slow 60 is 0.950? A good one is 0.850? At 0.950 that's about 4.1 g's and at 0.850 that's 5.1 g's!!! To put that in perspective think of lying on a hard floor and having 4 more people your weight lie on top of you, that's 5 gs. And I have good reason to believe it's more than that right before 60ft. Now imagine it shakes and you have to move 5x your arm and actually grab the brake, steer, pedal, etc and it really shows what the drivers go through and the value of the good ones.

What do you think would be the physical limitations?

Are we nearing that?

Detached retinas have already been an issue, etc.

Einstein had a theory, eh? The body is only capable of covering so much ground in so much time that things start to happen, ya know like 'Back to the Future'..hehe..poof.

So basicly, It's a kick off return form the goal line for a touchdown, in one second. Works for me...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back