jim dunn racing (1 Viewer)

What ever happened to Kenji Okazaki? Wasn't he the one that brought the money with him on that short but successful go at Funny Car racing?...Now Mooneyes of Japan?

Jack,

My fingers and eyes are going to charge you a fee for typing this... :p ;)

The Okazaki/Dunn Story.

After Kenji Okazaki stuffed Jim Dunn's Mooneyes Dodge into the guardwall at Dallas, forcing the car's withdrawl from the event. Dunn was quoted in the Fort Worth Star - Telegram as saying "I'm packing up and leaving. He's not going to break any more of my stuff. "And you can't talk to Kenji because he's fired. He can go back to Japan, as far as I'm concerned"

By the following day, Dunn had calmed down considerably and here's the real story...

According to Dunn, Okazaki did hit the throtle three separate times on the first qualifying attempt, with the engine topping 9,400 RPM just before the car impacted the wall. What really frosted Dunn was the fact this was just the first qualifying run and, after having seemingly learned hid lessons as a driver, Okazaki apparently had a complete brain fade after the engine fired.

Unbeknown to me is the fact that early in the season Dunn had been approached by the Rydin Decal/Fluke team, which fields Randy Parks in alcohol dragster. They wanted Dunn to run their man in a limited '98 F/C schedule and according to the ex - fireman, "they offered me a cheque for $100,000 back that the Phoenix race to seal the deal, but I turned 'em down." Dunn told them that it was Okazaki's deal and he'd have the first right or refusal on a renewal. Dunn was again approached during the U.S Nationals and again said that Kenji would have first choice.

Following the Nationals did inform Dunn that Moon wouldn't be renewing for next season, but again, according to the car owner, he assured him that he had another sponsor all lined up. Then, mere days before the Dallas race, Okazaki informed Dunn he no longer wanted to drive. "I told him right then that if he didn't want to drive, he should quit, 'cause it's when you don't want to drive that you get hurt.

"That's what really burned me about the crash. If he didn't want to drive, he should have quit and we would have worked something out."
Dunn says he'll finish out the year, but he's got other concerns.

In anticipation of next season, he has two new Steve Plueger - built chassis at home in California and a wealth of hardware with which to equip them. "now I've got no driver and no sponsor and it's pretty late to find someone else. "If worse comes to worst, I'm pretty sure I can sell everything, but that's not what I want to do. I want to race, but I'm sure not going to do that without a major sponsor and a good driver."

Jon Asher wrote this piece back in 97. Funny thing is I came across it whilst going through some magazines the other day. That should sum it all up for you.

Regards,

Mike

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the info.. I know its been a while since we've chatted, but I'm home for the off-time and my parents computer doesnt have AIM and it way to slow for an attempt at downloading it... How have you been?

CJ Curtsinger

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the info.. I know its been a while since we've chatted, but I'm home for the off-time and my parents computer doesnt have AIM and it way to slow for an attempt at downloading it... How have you been?

CJ Curtsinger

Hey bud,

Things have been ok, just toooooo friggin' hot, it's a bit cooler today, when I say cooler 90 something. Over Xmas and the day after we reached over 100 How have you been, did you have a good Xmas?

Thread derailment #1033405050 :p

Big Jim, Diane and Jon were all at the shop this morning working on their crew shirts and sponsor t-shirts. I'll let them break the news as to who the new sponsor is, but let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised. It's great to see how Jon can get people to come together on these programs. T-Bone will be back behind the butterfly and LOUD pedal once again.

Big Jim, Diane and Jon were all at the shop this morning working on their crew shirts and sponsor t-shirts. I'll let them break the news as to who the new sponsor is, but let's just say I was very pleasantly surprised. It's great to see how Jon can get people to come together on these programs. T-Bone will be back behind the butterfly and LOUD pedal once again.

This is good to hear. It is always good to see new sponsors coming into the sport. Good luck to Bartone, Dunn, and team next year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back