jim dunn racing (1 Viewer)

shawn fleischmann

Nitro Member
Supposedly big jim dunn is building a new car with an impala body. Now the question is that who are the sponsor and driver going to be this year.

it's amazing, Jim Dunn is the only racer i can recall that seems to have no interest what so ever in letting his son/daughter drive his car. Jim and Mike worked together briefly a few years back, but apparently they just dont see eye to eye when it comes to racing. i do recall reading an article years ago, that Jim flat out told mike that if he's gonna make it in racing, he'll have to do it on his own. maybe since both men are a lot older, they've mellowed a bit and a father/son team could work ?

it's amazing, Jim Dunn is the only racer i can recall that seems to have no interest what so ever in letting his son/daughter drive his car. Jim and Mike worked together briefly a few years back, but apparently they just dont see eye to eye when it comes to racing. i do recall reading an article years ago, that Jim flat out told mike that if he's gonna make it in racing, he'll have to do it on his own. maybe since both men are a lot older, they've mellowed a bit and a father/son team could work ?

ummmmmm prolly not.....they did work together briefly back when Mike was driving the FC sponsored by Snickers....i wouldnt count on a reunion although it would be nice to see

Jim had another son that works on the car as well. I don't recall him (John) ever getting to make any passes though.

Glad to see Jim Dunn is still going to be out there.

Let's hope that Dunn's entry comes back for '08-and beyond- like Kaltta, the sport wouldn't be the same.

Speaking of the other Dunn- John, Diane's son, who I don't know, only know of, he is the GLUE that holds the operation together I've been told.

The unsung hero of their operation.

John is a Very Smart Guy, Ive known him for 10 plus years and he is very Nice, But Ive Never seen him in the seat, Nor do I think he wants too.

I think T-Bone is still with the team.

Tony brings a lot more than just a "seat warmer" to that role. He brings a lot of financial backing to that team, so if he's not part of the mix, I would be shocked.....unless of course a new driver could bring more to the table.

I've never been a big fan of Big Jim - thought he was 'kinda cranky and wondered how he ever got ANY sponsors - but he probably did Mike the biggest favor he could ever do for his son. Let him do things his own way and not live in his dad's shadow. Jim's a pioneer and Mike's turned out to be quite a guy on his own.

"Gotta be tough to run a father and son (or daughter) deal. There's ALWAYS an extra dynamic operating in the BEST of relationships.

I think the deal with the Veney guys is a little different. It seems like they actually have a close relationship, as evidenced by the fact that Todd's recent ride was a collaboration of their resources. While I believe Ken probably told Todd long ago something like "If you want to do this you have to go find a way", while Jim and Mike don't seem to be able to work together, even if funding wasn't a problem. Which is too bad, it would be cool to see them team up. BTW, Todd, if you're reading this, good luck on your new gig with Mike Ashley's team, hopefully it leads to your nitro ticket!

Lesse, when Mike Dunn and that Pennsylvania business guy (Abel?) went on tour with that Snickers deal about 10 years ago, Mike's absolute FIRST CHOICE for CC was his dad. Mike seemed to have a genuine deep respect for his dad there.

Back in my nitro journalist days, I was gonna tape a chat with Jon Dunn, but he was too busy at the time. Somebody's gonna get an interesting story when they get a chat with him on tape someday. Of course, I never did figure out how to deal tactfully with the half brother of Mike issue, but I always found that apsect of the Dunn family interesting and mysterious.

And it's interesting Mike Dunn settled in Mt. Joy PA as a real nice place to raise his kids up!

-85% Jimmy

Last edited:
The only comment I can make on the Dunn's situation is that it is cool that they are originally from my home town here.....as far as father and son teams...I can say that with my team where I own and drive and my dad is the crew chief, things can get testy at times as my dad and I are pretty hard headed and at times short tempered. But at the end of the day, we are still family and we both love drag racing.....;)

The only comment I can make on the Dunn's situation is that it is cool that they are originally from my home town here.....as far as father and son teams...I can say that with my team where I own and drive and my dad is the crew chief, things can get testy at times as my dad and I are pretty hard headed and at times short tempered. But at the end of the day, we are still family and we both love drag racing.....;)

JR
I miss the drive in....

d'kid

What ever happened to Kenji Okazaki? Wasn't he the one that brought the money with him on that short but successful go at Funny Car racing?...Now Mooneyes of Japan?

What ever happened to Kenji Okazaki? Wasn't he the one that brought the money with him on that short but successful go at Funny Car racing?...Now Mooneyes of Japan?

loved that team - 5th wheel chapparel trailer and the mooneyes tanks
they used for engine warmups - classic.
and they kicked ass.

The only comment I can make on the Dunn's situation is that it is cool that they are originally from my home town here.....as far as father and son teams...I can say that with my team where I own and drive and my dad is the crew chief, things can get testy at times as my dad and I are pretty hard headed and at times short tempered. But at the end of the day, we are still family and we both love drag racing.....

Funny JR, when I was having dinner with the old man at Milts,,,every sentence about the race car started with, "That da.. kid of mine,,,,,," :p;):D

Karl, I think we have one drive in,,about 40-miles away. None in my town any more. :mad:

Rapid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back