Jim Bucher (1 Viewer)

Tony

Nitro Member
The photo of Jim Bucher in his BB Chevy T/F'er on the NHRA.com Photo of the Week shows his right front tire coming off the rim. My memory isn't real good, was Jim killed in a racing accident?

I believe Jim died of a rare blood disorder. I always cheered Jim on... being the underdog against all them hemis.

Was Jim killed in a racing accident?

No, my recollection is that Jim died of a type of cancer. S. Mills is probably more accurate in terms of a description of the cause than I am. I loved Bucher. The '73 Indy race is one of my favorite memories of his racing. He didn't win it, but he made his presence known in an unusual way.

Last edited:
Bucher did some amazing things with that "Rat" motor. I believe he has a son who has raced in recent years, maybe a SG car, not sure.

Bucher

My dad died from Polyarteritisnodoza, a rare blood disease. I am Rick Bucher the youngest son. I did some super gas, super comp for awhile. I now drive a blown small block quick 8 dragster. Hopefully this will turn into A-fuel someday. I was 10 when my dad passed away. I would love to hear some stories about him.

Rick Bucher

Rick, welcome to the Mater. I never met your dad, but we always rooted for him, because my dad was also a Chevy racer. It's great that you are racing, and I wish you luck on your path to A/Fuel. If you have any pictures of your present car, it would be cool to see them.

I'm only 41. A kid in the 70s, but I still knew who your dad was. Had the brand loyalty thing going on then and a lot of us loved seeing that Chevy fueler out there. Kinda like Rick Santos with his small block Chevy in TAD. Love that stuff.

My dad died from Polyarteritisnodoza, a rare blood disease. I am Rick Bucher the youngest son. I did some super gas, super comp for awhile. I now drive a blown small block quick 8 dragster. Hopefully this will turn into A-fuel someday. I was 10 when my dad passed away. I would love to hear some stories about him.

Rick Bucher

I never met your dad (but saw him race several times). I know he was famous for his "one shot qualifying" attempts, sometimes getting the # 1 spot. Chevy TF cars (especially if they had the aluminum Can-Am block) had short fuses back then. I last remember seeing the car in 1976 at Darlington SC (track was new) IHRA National event. The race was rained out and not rescheduled. All the big guns were there too (Garlits, Harris, Lahaie, etc). Some friends of mine (Powell & Burnett) were also there with a Chevy TF car. I was assembling a chevy powered BB/FC at the time , so I was looking at all things Chevy.
DC

Scroll almost to the bottom of this page and you'll see him in the other lane against Gary Beck. Nice little note about his holding the 73 ET record at the above mentioned 6.07, as well.

keystone bison dragways

Last edited:
Don't give me credit. Someone on classicfunnycarboard put it up. I just found that when I made it to page ten. That is the page that starts in good with the funny cars, though. Does make you want a time machine for Christmas, doesn't it?

I really enjoyed seeing Jim Bucher's Chevy powered fuel car battle and WIN against the "big boys"....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back