1970 US Nationals (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Competition Plus has a great video of the 1970 US Nats at Indy. This is the race where Don Prudhomme raced Jim Nicoll in the T/F final. Nicoll had the clutch blow right at the finish line, cut his car in 1/2. He landed on the grass inside the roll cage & was OK, while the engine & front of the chassis went down track in front of Prudhomme. The video shows footage showing the cars going down track & I could see a flash of flame at about the 1100' mark coming from Nicoll's car, right before it cut in 1/2. That has to be the most dramatic T/F final of all time. I was at Lions when Garlits had the accident that cut his car in half at the starting line & that was horrific to me, but Nicoll's accident was worse cuz of how it happened.

By the way, Garlits was at this race in the front engined car (I think it was the accident car that they repaired) & he lasted until the semis. They mentioned his accident in the video. Don Schumacher won Funny Car & Herb McAndless won Pro Stock. McAndless was doing commentary at the Hemi Shootout at Indy. Comp Plus has a cool video of that as well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back