JFR Bodies fail tech? (1 Viewer)

NHRA's new slogan "stupidity in action". What a joke, fussing over such a little thing, they must think that wickerbill is going to make them run 350mph.

In this day and age of big time racing, wind tunnels and aero advantage. For you to say such a thing is not real smart.

I've learn over the years working on out the back door race cars, that a little can add up to a lot. It's all the little tweaks that get you an advantage.

In this day and age of big time racing, wind tunnels and aero advantage. For you to say such a thing is not real smart.

I've learn over the years working on out the back door race cars, that a little can add up to a lot. It's all the little tweaks that get you an advantage.

I agree 100% if it was unnessary it wouldnt be on the car. But for some reason, most cars run them; if not all

Looking at the picture of John's Wicker, it appears to be the correct 1 inch @90*. Could it be that where it goes flat on top at the sides? That portion doesn't meet the 90* rule, does it? Just asking....

Another carbon fiber masterpiece for JFR by (I'm pretty sure) Aerodine. That thing was NOT cheap to develop or manufacture. I find it hard to believe that JFR would proceed with this without approval from NHRA tech.
The only thing I can see that might violate rules (looking at rulebook now) is that the front edge is not a straight line.
Without information from NHRA Tech, we have no idea why this was disallowed - if i can find something in the Rulebook, I'll be back.

I'm back! - Section 15:7 BODY. "Wicker permitted on front side of blower opening, maximum height 1 inch. Wicker must be installed 90 degrees to body."
Is this it? Is that angled addition in front of two openings illegal because it may improve airflow? Interesting - :confused:

Last edited:
Every fuel team out has to bend the rules to get ahead as the fuel cars are becoming more and more like pro stock cars. JFR bodies failing tech is nothing new...

It blows my mind that reading an article on a slighted website is enough information for people to make rational judgements that this is clearly NHRA tech screwing things up

Sounds like Force didnt ***** about it, he may try to appeal or work with tech to figure something out.

Not even really news in my book.

I'm back! - Section 15:7 BODY. "Wicker permitted on front side of blower opening, maximum height 1 inch. Wicker must be installed 90 degrees to body."
Is this it? Is that angled addition in front of two openings illegal because it may improve airflow? Interesting - :confused:

Possibly a disagreement over whether the pieces along the sides are a wicker?

It blows my mind that reading an article on a slighted website is enough information for people to make rational judgements that this is clearly NHRA tech screwing things up

Sounds like Force didnt ***** about it, he may try to appeal or work with tech to figure something out.

Not even really news in my book.

Its called earning your 'Mater Cred....;)

Did anybody else notice in the intros when they had John standing beside the car that it still had the wicker bill that supposedly failed tech?

Last edited:
looked to me that the top flat shelf area on the front side was gone.... or at least looked different...

Billy

looked to me that the top flat shelf area on the front side was gone.... or at least looked different...

Billy
It does say 90* to the body, last line on page 227 was revised as below off of NHRA. so if the body slopes upward 20*, you'd 'see' a visual 'forward/outer' lean to the lip. 70* from ground, not 110*

BODY: 7

Body

Page 227

DELETE:

“Wicker permitted on front side of blower opening; maximum height 1 inch”

REPLACE WITH:

“Wicker permitted on front and sides of blower opening; maximum height 1 inch” end quote

d'kid

It does say 90* to the body, last line on page 227 was revised as below off of NHRA. so if the body slopes upward 20*, you'd 'see' a visual 'forward/outer' lean to the lip. 70* from ground, not 110*

BODY: 7

Body

Page 227

DELETE:

“Wicker permitted on front side of blower opening; maximum height 1 inch”

REPLACE WITH:

“Wicker permitted on front and sides of blower opening; maximum height 1 inch” end quote

d'kid

The rule change to allow the wicker to wrap around the sides was just clarifying what many had been doing for several years. Based upon my aero experience and in working with the NHRA, my thought (only an educated guess) is that the NHRA had a problem with the horizontal part of the wicker. Also, even though the "V" is not specifically illegal in the above rule, it could fall under the rule (can't find it right now) stating "no vortex generators". Any sharp edge at some angle to the local airflow can cause a vortice and this "V" wicker could be defined as such.

Terry DeKoninck
Aerospeed Solutions LLC
Aerospeed Solutions Home

The wickers on JFRs cars right now is legal, thats it. The ones that failed tech are the ones that Neff ran last year, which was not 90 to the car, but more like 45 degrees ish

The real question to me is: Are there firm rules or just a matter of opinion?:confused:

All the Force cars and Wilkerson's were fully tech'ed by NHRA at the warm ups and given the OK. They arrive at Pomona and are told that their cars are illegal.

This is not cool!:mad:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back