JFR Bodies fail tech? (1 Viewer)

vegasnitro

Nitro Member
After having been in very close proximity to many formula and prototype racecars, I have always wondered why every aerodynamic advantage is not exploited on drag race cars. I sincerely doubt JFR would have spent the time (and money) in the wind tunnel to engineer something that is against the rules ... but the NHRA shut it down anyway. Even Dunn's wicker, which he ran without issue last season, required adjustment per NHRA tech. On the one hand, it is good NHRA tech is on top of these things ... but on the other hand if it ain't in the rulebook ... thoughts?

:::Drag Racing Online::: Winternationals at Pomona - 02/05/09

I'm confuesd. I don't see anything there that is a 45 degree angle.
It's perpendicular to the body, which is 90 degrees.

JFR used to have a metal piece in front of the injector that was 90 degrees up also, I don't see what the difference is, unless the rules changed.

Heck the old KB and JH Batmobiles and John Lombardos Blue Max/Old Milwaukee 'Stang had the entire injector covered up at one time!

Last edited:
Chris;
It's probably got more to do with NHRA's on-going attempt to be like NASCAR - who they probably admire greatly. You know - nitpick about silly things (about which they know very little), so that they can flex their authority "muscles". It's probably just another attempt to look strong and inteligent, keep everyone in check, hand out fines etc.

I hope they eventually explain this particular situation. I'm curious as to what could be so illegal about something that's been done for decades. (but probably never as finely executed as these carbon fiber flanges that Medlin designed)

Dale

I think they are talking about the 45 degree "V" at the front middle of the wicker bill.

Can't be, becasue this says they WANT Dunns at a 45????

Quote from DRO-"NHRA Tech wanted Dunn’s diverter to be adjusted to a 45-degree angle as well, rather than the angled slope he used last season"

Can't be, becasue this says they WANT Dunns at a 45????

Quote from DRO-"NHRA Tech wanted Dunn’s diverter to be adjusted to a 45-degree angle as well, rather than the angled slope he used last season"
Paul, btw catchy name, I think DRO stated it incorrectly, I think it should be NHRA wants 90 degrees on Dunn's car, not slopped.

The last part of the story had me a bit curious...

while it was a cool engineered piece, it did not meet the strict NHRA 2009 Rulebook.

(JFR) Crewmembers jumped on their cell phones to tell other team car crews to get the approved funny car bodies out of the transporters in order to repair the issue NHRA had now found.

The way I read this, all of the other JFR cars had passed tech and were in the transporters but somebody pointed the issue out on John's car...causing trouble for everyone else.

If this is the case, is this another one in a series of NHRA tech failings, such as a FC chassis update that was tech approved, then disapproved early last season?

Last edited:
I'm confuesd. I don't see anything there that is a 45 degree angle.
It's perpendicular to the body, which is 90 degrees.

JFR used to have a metal piece in front of the injector that was 90 degrees up also, I don't see what the difference is, unless the rules changed.

Heck the old KB and JH Batmobiles and John Lombardos Blue Max/Old Milwaukee 'Stang had the entire injector covered up at one time!

Paul that would be the point in front of the injector dead center of the body

Makes me wonder if the article is wrong...and that all must be 45 and johns and dunns neither one were...

This is really stupid. Is that pionted "V" really gonna make a huge difference in performance? It's really starting to look like Nascrap over here.

Dave

No worries, i heard from a very reliable source that the wickers are fixed and JFRs cars are back to legal. And if the V didnt matter they would prob not have it.

Lol when the Force's get away with flexing the rules people say that NHRA is kissing upto them yet when the Force's get told to fix something by NHRA people say the NHRA is flexing their muscle and just being picky lol .

It is good to see that rules are being inforced upon everybody .

This is really stupid. Is that pionted "V" really gonna make a huge difference in performance? It's really starting to look like Nascrap over here.

Dave

The pointed V is not the issue ... the pointed V is functional ... it allows body clearance over the "Medlen injector". Without the pointed V, you would have to change out the injector to one less sculpted than the one in the pic. As you can see in Dunn's pic, there is no pointed V there, yet they were also told to fix the issue.

The issue is that the edge around the cutout for the injector is perpindicular to the rest of the body (a 90 degree angle). It needs to be 45 degrees or less apparently.

i believe this to be the issue; the old wicker was illegal because it was 45 degrees on the leading edge up to the scoop. The one in the photo is the new design which is NHRA approved. The new one looks to be 90 degrees every where; which is legal. If i am completely wrong then someone shed some light on the issue, because the one in the photo is different then the old on that used to be on Neffs car; at least i think???

NHRA's new slogan "stupidity in action". What a joke, fussing over such a little thing, they must think that wickerbill is going to make them run 350mph.

Lol as I said in an earlier post , sure its a little thing but if NHRA let it slide knowingly being against the rules you guys would be complaining that NHRA bends the rules for Force .

I am in no way supporting NHRA here but I have been on this forum long enough to know that if John Force even had the littliest thing against the rules and was allowed allowed to run it you guys would be the first to claim that the NHRA bends the rules for the Forces , yet here John Force actually has a rule infringment and you guys are saying the NHRA is being too tough . Talk about a contradiction.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back