Jeff Diehl pulling out of Vegas (1 Viewer)

Well if NHRA ever goes to 8 car fields it will kill the sport, nobody is going to fork out $60 to see an 8 car bracket!

I beg to differ Joe. Unless the NHRA is willing to go to two day shows with round one being on Saturday night, then we may as well go to 8 car fields now so a Sunday event can be completed within a 3-4 hour time window, which lets face it, the sport needs if it ever wants to head towards the level of all the other real motorsports out there. With how overprepped todays tracks are, basically every single track on the tour has the potential for a National Record (except Denver) which makes being competitive all about who has the best (aka most expensive) parts and who has the most assistant crew chiefs. Until NHRA greatly reduces the track prep, which not only saves them money it also speeds up the show (which will be imperative with the majority of races being live), it will always be the haves with a big advantage over the have nots. Seems like today the only time you see a small team make it past the second round (usually not even that) is at races where the temps are so hot that the teams absolutely HAVE TO back down the power on the cars as to not smoke the tires. Reducing track prep and/or tire size or downforce is the easiest way to make it where the smaller teams have a chance to compete. When the track can take anything you can put into it the Wallys will always end up with the mega teams. Now occasionally you'll have the uniformed idiot who says it will be unsafe to do so because with less downforce and/or track prep that more cars will crash. Thats complete garbage as the previous generation of drivers always were ready to lift and pedal the car instead of it be an all or nothing run. A hot and slick track isn't dangerous if you're a professional driver. Now if you're just a rich kid with money to allow you to jump to the top level then I guess it could be more dangerous but its not like our sport has anyone like that who hasn't paid their dues..... right?

Well if NHRA ever goes to 8 car fields it will kill the sport, nobody is going to fork out $60 to see an 8 car bracket!

Don't be so sure. Big nitro races used to be 64 car shows, then 32 cars, now 16. What makes you think 8 car fields would run anyone off.

The grudge scene is sparking a huge revival in drag racing. As much as I love nitro, I think it has about 5 years left.

There were lots of 8 car fields in the early 80's. We went to the CajunNationals every year when there were 8 car nitro fields, paid whatever price they charged for a ticket. We didn't care as long as they were burning nitro.

IHRA went years with 8 car fields and were able to fill the stands so it can be done.

Just because you ignore that small hole in the boat, doesn't mean it's not there Joe. Yes there has been doom and gloom before but you forget that things changed that helped the situation. We are now are another point where some smart decisions need to be made in order to help the sport.

Look at all the love that the show Pinks got. Got to a national event and people leave the stands when Nitro isn't up, yet Pinks packed people in to watch 9 and 10 second cars. The Baders in Norwalk fill the place for a divisional race. It's about marketing, salesmanship and actually giving a damn about the customer (racer, sponsor and fan from the track's point of view).

8 car show? Still 12 cars from 3 teams trying to get in? I'll see y'all on Saturday...

I found something interesting to today's newspaper here in Florida.

Gator Nationals this past weekend saw more then 900 registered participants from 24 countries and 38 states an idea what type of event it was?

Try BMX Supercross Series. I always thought when my boys were young this was for kids!!!! How wrong I was there are class for all ages of boys and girls and men and women.

Today there are so many different types of sporting and racing events for people to do and I believe all of these different types of events are just a part of the reason drag racing events are having a hard time.

When I was a kid you either went to a drag strip or a circle track on the weekends but today there are just so many other ways to spend your weekends.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

The IDBL all motorcycle drag racing events at MIR get 800+ entries all the time. Drags Illustrated has reported some smaller tracks hosting grudge, having to close the gates while there is still huge lines of people trying to get in. It is a different world now, and in racing, people are into other forms. Street Outlaws is the best thing that has happened to the sport in years.

Drag racing started out as a participant sport. If you loved nitro racing, you were no doubt involved with a nitro car. Three guys with decent jobs could run one of those cars and win from time to time. Now, in the big show, there are really only three guys that can afford to do it and they are the show.

Jeff and lisa stopped by yesterday and they said they are gearing up for next year. I'm glad they are coming back next year. Taking the remainder of this year off was probably a good idea knowing they had to purchase new manifolds.

So are they not running the Finals either, Eugene? They are still on the entry list.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back