Is it me... (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Nitro Member
...or is this beginning to look a lot like 1989 all over again in Funny Car?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ready to carve his name on the Championship trophy just yet, but Tim Wilkerson is quietly putting together a season in Funny Car that resembles the run Bruce Larson had in '89 with Maynard Yingst calling the shots. He's not winning everything in sight, but he's finding ways to go rounds at almost every event! I'm not a hater of anyone, but given the competitive nature of the fuel coupes right now, it's nice to see the good guy with a small budget whippin' up on the rest of the field. Keep it up Tim!!

Hope that isn't a jinx, Gordon.

But YEA...Maynard had Bruce rockin. There is nothing that would please me more than to see Tim win this things..but hey..top 10 after what?????

I'm a rootin.

It's You MC...

just kidding, didn't think about til ya just brought it up, but yeah, it's a lot like 20 years ago...

d'kid

There was no countdown 20 years ago, and the early season dominance is so minimized it's impossible to forecast. Having said that, ever since Wilk rebalanced the car after receiving his new (2nd) Impala body, the car has been remarkable.

It's You MC...

just kidding, didn't think about til ya just brought it up, but yeah, it's a lot like 20 years ago...

d'kid

Yeah, it's me. I've been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kickin' contest, but I've been thoroughly enjoying watching Tim's season unfold.

On a separate note (since we can't seem to get anyone to reply to this thread because we're not bashing Paul Page, or DSR, or VP, or whoever), I will be moving to Maryland in November of this year, so we'll have to attend a few races together next year!

Well, it's anybody's game after Indy and it shakes down to the top 10! :D

At least that's the hope I'm holding on to! ;)

Yes-- watching Bruce and Maynard that year was really exciting. And having Tim win this year would be a great thing. But.... countdown ......:confused:

I just hope the new tire/chassis deal does not mess up his combination too bad with no testing. I'd like to see him be a contender to the end.

Its great to see Tim out in front but with the crapdown there is no winners anymore.

I kinda hope Ashley takes off to a big lead then the countdown unfairly sucks the championship away from her. Nothing against her, but it would just be one more strike against the countdown

I just hope the new tire/chassis deal does not mess up his combination too bad with no testing. I'd like to see him be a contender to the end.

This could be Tim's greatest fear! Starting from scratch on a tune-up as a solo team with little or no testing will be a mountain to climb. If anyone can do it, it would be Uncle Wilky!

This could be Tim's greatest fear! Starting from scratch on a tune-up as a solo team with little or no testing will be a mountain to climb. If anyone can do it, it would be Uncle Wilky!

I'm not sure testing will play as big a role this year since it's not allowed due to the shortage of nitro. That said, the multi-car teams will certainly have more data at their disposal so in that regard, yes, he will be at a disadvantage. Still, I hope he pulls it off!

Hmmm....but Capps has already been running the required chasis. :)

Yeah, I knew you'd bring that up Kel. I heard that during the telecast this weekend and I said to my wife right away that Capps' early season woes are going to pay off in the long run... especially given the moratorium on testing for the forseeable future. It appears ol' Ace and the entire NAPA team are playing a pretty good hand right now.

I won't be heart broken at all if Ron wins the whole enchilada, but I love rootin' for the single car team & Wilk's a great guy to boot!

The writing's on the wall. Capps exchanges late season misfortunes for early season misfortunes and get his first title in 2008!! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back