Initial cost of TF vs. FC (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
So, the basics are the same in TF and FC - engine, clutch, fuel system, electronic, modulo different tune ups like rev limiters, etc.. So the cost per season of maintenance (feeding the beast, as it were) has got to be prett much the same.

My question is this: which costs more to build out? I assume a FC, simply because the carbon fiber bodies are really expensive.

I think you answered your own question Tom, the bodies are the great differentiators. I'm sure there are smaller ones, but the bodies all tinned and wrapped are a lot of money, I think north of 60K, and you can't have just one.

Unless someday the carbon fiber dragster bodies catch on.........remember Joe Amato's? KB was complaining he was raising the cost of racing.

IIRC it was a combination chassis / body.

The wings on TF cars aren't exactly cost effective either. They aren't quite as much as a fully tinned, treed, and wrapped body, but they aren't as far off as you may think.

The wings on TF cars aren't exactly cost effective either. They aren't quite as much as a fully tinned, treed, and wrapped body, but they aren't as far off as you may think.

At least the TF'er aren't blowing off the wings when the engine goes BANG or tearing them up hitting reflectors <g>!

"It costs the same to race now as it did back then, everything you got." - Jim Dunn

If the cost of the body (bodies) is the difference in which car you decide to build out, you can't afford to go fuel racing.

A fully outfitted big rig and racing trailer to support the car will cost WAY more than whichever style of car you decide to build. Feeding that rig with diesel, housing the crew, stocking that trailer with spares, etc. will cost you WAY more than whichever style of car you decide to build. For the engineering marvels they are and the speeds they achieve, a Top Fuel dragster or Funny Car are not that expensive to build relative to any other form of motor sport. It's when you decide to hook up the starter to the motor and pull it to the starting line that stuff gets pricey.

Last edited:
Like the old saying about fuel motors: "It's fully guaranteed - until you start it!"

And the corollary to Jim Dunn's statement, "the first rule of racing is that everyone spends all the money they have."

At least the TF'er aren't blowing off the wings when the engine goes BANG or tearing them up hitting reflectors <g>!

I've worked for TF teams where we had to junk front wings or at the very least get them fixed after the driver tagged cones. Plus the wings have to get recerted every year.

Bodies are expensive. Maintaining them is also very expensive. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you would have to have an additional dedicated crew member just to maintain the bodies between runs.

I didn't know TF wings were that expensive. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it take a metric butt load of money to run fuel, initial cost or otherwise.

As a derailment, is the Hustler ever going to make it out to Epping?

A lot of dragsters do run carbon bodys....rear wings are 12grand and fronts are 6grand give or take

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back