Indy Tower (1 Viewer)

1716460058959.png

I saw the event map for this years race yesterday. It still shows Parks Tower, but it also still says Dodge.

…and sponsors are good for racers, fans, and the sport overall.
The entire tower at Indy was quite a ways behind the starting line and 90 degrees to the track. Not ideal for sponsor suites, unlike most of the more modern tracks.

There is a "Beer Garden" on the right side of the old building take could be used to add more space, move closer to the starting line, and maybe rotate the building to have better views down track.

I don't think they have enough room on the far side of the track to do a tower across the final staging lanes for a direct view down the track {Chicago for example].

Time will tell, but if there is a buck to be made, I am sure that NHRA will want to get it!

The entire tower at Indy was quite a ways behind the starting line and 90 degrees to the track. Not ideal for sponsor suites, unlike most of the more modern tracks.

There is a "Beer Garden" on the right side of the old building take could be used to add more space, move closer to the starting line, and maybe rotate the building to have better views down track.

I don't think they have enough room on the far side of the track to do a tower across the final staging lanes for a direct view down the track {Chicago for example].

Time will tell, but if there is a buck to be made, I am sure that NHRA will want to get it!
When you think about it in todays world the necessidy of having a Tower that is directly behind the starting line is really not that important. Any new "Tower" really needs to have a bank of multiple monitors connected to strategically mounted cameras not necessarily at a fixed position that would be a lot more accurate than what someone visually thinks they saw that could theoretically be in a basement. Also: instant replay could do wonders. Some people think that it is very important to impress Sponsors with the "Tower" but whose sponsors - The Racer's sponsors - the Facility's sponsors or NHRA's sponsors. Remember - there is only ONE major race a year at this facility. Sponsors very seldom want to watch much more than the vehicles they sponsor and they could do that watching a big screen monitor in the Hospitality section of the Racers Pits while seeing how many people come to see the Cars (vehicles) they Sponsor for the hours they are sitting still vs the seconds they are going down the track at warp speed. The last guy that sponsored the series did not do it because he loved Drag Racing. He did to see if it would grow his business from name recognition - not necessarly who won. Team Sponsors are the same way.

Not ideal for sponsor suites, unlike most of the more modern tracks.
The ideal suites for sponsors have comfortable seating, air conditioning, private restrooms, big-screen TVs, and good catering. Track views are low on the list.

was in a suite in BIR tower one time. watched 2 runs thru the glass. that was enough. went up on top for rest of pro session. that was cool.
snuck up there again one year for final rounds.

Roger,
I disagree, as the stadium announcer I need to see the track to call the race. The TV guys can and sometimes do work from a remote location (like the TV truck) because their audience can only see what is on the screen. My audience can see what is happening on the track and that's what I need to be talking about. Every stadium announcer no matter the sport needs to see the field to call the action.

Alan

Roger,
I disagree, as the stadium announcer I need to see the track to call the race. The TV guys can and sometimes do work from a remote location (like the TV truck) because their audience can only see what is on the screen. My audience can see what is happening on the track and that's what I need to be talking about. Every stadium announcer no matter the sport needs to see the field to call the action.

Alan
So Alan, are you going to call the race from a crane or are they going to build the tower before the U.S. Nationals ? Just asking if you have any info.

I'm good with the Crow's Nest! For me the worst tracks are where we are down low enough that when a Funny Car is in front of me with the body up, I can't see the car on the starting line. If everyone in the stands can see a team trying to fix a leak, or struggling to get the body latched I need to know it as well. The play by play announcer needs to be able to see the play.

I'm at Maple Grove this weekend and here's my vantage point. I'll take this every week.

Rick, I don't know what the plan is for Indy, but I'm not worried about it.

Alan

Attachments

• MG View.jpg
    MG View.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
i'm sure there was a good reason sonoma removed the drag strip tower? maybe good for nascar? not sure how it could be good for drag racing.
IMO the message boards they installed were the best EMC's anywhere on national event tour. better than the mobile/traveling screen.
perfectly placed near starting line as spectators are looking towards starting line. racer information and advertising. whatever indy does, i sure hope
they copy this. EMC's are everywhere these days, and the nhra would look better to have some, without a doubt at their premiere race at IRP.
the sign below arch at LVMS should be an EMC as well (fixed advertisement o'reilly, has been summit too).......for that matter, pick a track, and find a good spot
for a large, permanently affixed EMC

Attachments

• SonomaMessageBoards.jpg
    SonomaMessageBoards.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • LVMS_sign.jpg
    LVMS_sign.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 51
Roger,

Alan
I am not suggesting that you don't need a place that you can see what is going on, but that is for you or other annoncers etc, not a showplace. As you stated you could be sitting on top of a Crane except it probably would be a little uncumfortable after a while (and a problem to make a "Pit" stop) 😁. I still think that part should incorporate more ways to use and be for media and announcing technology and leave the flashy stuff to a seperate place. Sitting 150/200 feet behind the starting line 20 feet up in the air only looking from one direction for 1500 feet has its limits when you are starting with a clean sheet, it seems like something is missing. Yes: all sports announcers have to see what is going on but the new venues they built have incorporated (or added to) better ideas than they had in 1960. Basketball & Football announcers are probably 80 feet up and 1/2 way in the middle. With the proper camera coverage you would be able to look at a Monitor from a bank to see what is going on when the body is up and blocking your vision. I could be way off base, but it seems to me that the money available should be for "Function over Form" and leave the other stuff out of what makes the actual race the best for the paying customers.

I'm good with the Crow's Nest! For me the worst tracks are where we are down low enough that when a Funny Car is in front of me with the body up, I can't see the car on the starting line. If everyone in the stands can see a team trying to fix a leak, or struggling to get the body latched I need to know it as well. The play by play announcer needs to be able to see the play.

Several of the Media Centers are right at ground level and trying to see most any PRO class starting line action is terrible with the crowds of crew, and others who gather right behind the cars, as they leave the line.

I think Pomona might be the worst for me, as the next pair of Funny Cars are positioned right in front of us with their bodies up.

Thank goodness, at Pomona we have the track feed TV right up above and in front of us to be able to see at least some of the action and get it posted on www.DragRaceCentral.com

Several of the Media Centers are right at ground level and trying to see most any PRO class starting line action is terrible with the crowds of crew, and others who gather right behind the cars, as they leave the line.

I think Pomona might be the worst for me, as the next pair of Funny Cars are positioned right in front of us with their bodies up.

Thank goodness, at Pomona we have the track feed TV right up above and in front of us to be able to see at least some of the action and get it posted on www.DragRaceCentral.com
At least with Pomona there is enough space for everyone. In Vegas I usually had to setup shop in the auxiliary room which was the windowless room on the ground floor with the loading door that got pretty warm during the spring race. Only way to know what was going on on track was having nhra.tv playing on my phone. In fact it was easier to just take my laptop out under the tree in the grass next to the staging lanes and work from there. Phoenix's is even smaller and except for Friday it was usually easier working from Maroney's pit or sit in my truck and mooch off of the suite tower's wi-fi.

Granted I have only been in four media centers but Sonoma's was the absolute nicest and the catered lunch was a nice treat. It will be interesting on how it may change with the timing tower gone now since I would imagine all of that will move to that corner of the media center since that is the only spot (other than the main grandstand suites) that can see the dragstrip.

Sonoma's was the absolute nicest

The Media center was originally built for the long track that NASCAR, INDY, SCCA uses and is a long way from the starting line.

The www.DragRaceCentral.com reporters actually sit outside the main Media Room [press, photographers, etc.] right along the big windows on the end of the building looking down and across the pit lanes to the dragstrip to be able to see anything at all.

You are absolutely right about the buffet for the media and others downstairs. One of the best track food experiences.

The Media center was originally built for the long track that NASCAR, INDY, SCCA uses and is a long way from the starting line.

The www.DragRaceCentral.com reporters actually sit outside the main Media Room [press, photographers, etc.] right along the big windows on the end of the building looking down and across the pit lanes to the dragstrip to be able to see anything at all.

You are absolutely right about the buffet for the media and others downstairs. One of the best track food experiences.
The best place for me has always been Norwalk. We sit along the glass at the front of the building, which has a great view and comfortable chairs. The food is really good, too. The media center has an ice cream freezer and someone to scoop it out for us. We all leave the race 10 pounds heavier than when we arrived.

drcNorwalk.jpg

The best place for me has always been Norwalk. We sit along the glass at the front of the building, which has a great view and comfortable chairs. The food is really good, too. The media center has an ice cream freezer and someone to scoop it out for us. We all leave the race 10 pounds heavier than when we arrived.

View attachment 14553
Oh man, free ice cream in the media center?!?! I would probably gain 15 lbs myself if I ever shot a race there.

View attachment 14553
Agreed, as a top spot!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back