I'M BACK.........sorta (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Hi folks. I'm back online sorta. I got a really big surprise in the form of the gift of a Dell Laptop from the whole Infrastructure team before I left Mars. Thing is that I have to learn everything all over now. Vista is foreign to me and I have been using an ergonomic keyboard for years and I can't seem to type anymore!

I don't mind telling you that I've been going crazy not being online. I'm still not online at home so I'm at my cousin's. He has a wireless router.

Did I miss anything?

Welcome back...I hope you are getting more comfortable with Vista. It can be a bit confusing to anyone who was proficient with XP before switching to Vista since the Microsoft developers found it "necessary" to move some common tasks around and rename them.

Hijacking your thread...I got my first hands-on exposure to Vista over the Christmas holidays - gave both kids' families new Compaq desktops with Vista Home Premium and 2 gigs of memory, had already given my daughter a laptop with Vista Home Premium and a gig of memory. Worked on all three computers while I was there, getting them set up - and cleaned up.

Vista does some basic things the hard way, and has a very protective complex that makes it difficult to clean things up and speed things up. All three came with a bunch of unneeded software that self-installed and kept nagging for upgrades. Now all three are minus all the Semantic nagware (as well as all the other crippleware that self-installed) and are running AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarm firewalls.

Let's just say I was underwhelmed by Vista. It was annoyingly slow on the two desktop machines, despite dual-Pentium processors and 2 gigs of memory, and even slower than that on the laptop, with a dual-core Centrino and 1 gigabyte.

After I got home, I ordered a new Dell laptop - with XP Pro. At least I'm used to the quirks of XP and it is a whole lot faster - even on my older machines, with a slower, single-core processor and just a gig of memory. My current laptop is starting to show its age and it has booted to a blue screen twice in the past month, so it's time to start over fresh before I lose everything. The new one is dual-core and has 2 gigs, oughta be downright zippy. I also ordered a LapLink kit that claims to transfer programs and files from one computer to another - if it works as advertised (and my old computer hangs on long enough), that will make the changeover much easier than starting fresh with an empty hard drive.

- Larry

Welcome home Jackee!
I, too just bought another new laptop. It came with Vista so we wiped it clean and re-installed XP Pro plus all the drivers then set the machine up to my liking. It's awesome opening it up and finding 9 different wireless feeds at my kitchen table (four of which had no security) to jump on line and work from. Of course, I'll use my own network which is secure at home but the laptop will be nice on the road knowing so many places have an open WI/FI network to jump on. Given time, you'll love having your computer with you.
Congrats on the new equipment.

Jackee - welcome back!
We build our own PCs, so we haven't suffered from having to eliminate a huge amount of crap that is apparently now included on "store bought" boxes.
However, our IT guy got a wild hair and installed Vista on one computer.
Drivers for our HP Laserprinters were no problem, but the custom drivers for digital color printers, platemakers and printing presses were a disaster! It took weeks to get everything operating again. And . . . Adobe Creative Suite runs slower on Vista with, of course no answer from Microsoft!
I don't want to think about what is going to happen when we are forced to install Vista (and this is going to occur) on the server that controls routing to all this stuff - :rolleyes:

Hi Jackee, it's good you "see" you. Really nice of them to give you the laptop! Hope everything else is working out for you as well.

Can't tell you how many hours I've just spent trying to set up one email distribution list. Got spoiled with Lotus Notes at work! :)

Welcome Back!!:D Luckily for me, I haven't had to migrate to Vista just yet..thank goodness. I love my lotus notes too..

Wow...it is so good to know that soon you will be back to your normal posting. It will take a bit to get used to everything but we know you can do it. I have missed you so I can't wait to start getting your emails again....be sure and put my home email in your new list...hopefully with the new email things will work properly....Luv ya

Gald you're back. Havent had a email from you since the job deal. Whats up?

I feel like I've never been on a computer in my life.... laptop, Vista, email.... yikes! :eek:

I have a zillion distribution lists and I'm having a very difficult time trying to get them set up in any email provider.

About to throw in the towel. :(

Do they make lotus notes for home use?

I feel like I've never been on a computer in my life.... laptop, Vista, email.... yikes! :eek:

I have a zillion distribution lists and I'm having a very difficult time trying to get them set up in any email provider.

About to throw in the towel. :(

Do they make lotus notes for home use?

Staples had an ergo keyboard for around 40 bucks for a microsoft one here in NM. I have a wireless mouse for my laptop too, that helps my wrists when working with excel.

and welcome back! :D

Last edited:
HI JACKEE! I'm so glad you received such a wonderful gift....cuz you ARE a wonderful gift to us!

btw...I am used to Vista at work and love it! :)

Welcome back Jackee! I've missed your emails too. Hope you get it squared away, so you and us can get our fix. :D :cool:

Thanks Kel, Jen and everyone. I've felt totally out of touch. I set the alarm and made it to my cousin's house before Cheryl left for work so here I am for a few hours!

My task for the day is getting my distribution lists set up even if it kills me! (And it could!) ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back