Idle speculation on what JFR would look like "IF" JF retires. (1 Viewer)

Muddy

Nitro Member
With all the idle speculation and rumors flying around about JFR, where do you think Zippy, Smith, Prock and the rest of the "brain trust" would fit in if John steps aside. With only two funny cars funded and four teams....well the picture isn't exactly "employee friendly". Does Britney still have a car and if so who funds it? What's your guess on who remains and where.

The guys at the top like Zippy and Prock would be unemployed for about 2 nanoseconds if it came to that. The guys in the shop, the travelling crew guys and various other support personnel ... well that picture isn't as pretty. You would assume some of them would be absorbed by other teams, but most likely not in the numbers they would be let go from JFR. I would think by Vegas 2, if JFR doesn't have anything lined up for next year and beyond, we are going to see some resumes being handed out all over the pits, most likely with Force's permission.

I know what it is like to go to work with the Sword of Damocles dangling over your head, so I hope for nothing but the best for everyone at JFR no matter what the future brings.

Last edited:
If I were Johns kids, I would be saving my money.
If dad is having troubles with corporate America believing in the NHRA, there isn't a bright future. I would bet that nobody will be interested in any Force kids as drivers.

Worst case for JFR crew.
Tuners, crew members will always be evaluated on what they can brings another team. If Forces guys are better than what the competition already has on their payrolls, they will be pushing the competition out.

I wouldn't shovel dirt on John just yet. I think he will put something together before seasons end. It probably won't be the kind of money he thinks he's worth..
This is the NHRAs biggest litmus test to date, and you can bet the Glendora is helping to call in any corporate cards they might have. If their biggest star can't find backing, just what does that say to anyone considering motor sports sponsorship, and investing in the NHRA?
After letting Prudhomme down by not helping out, and then having their biggest name unfortunately liquidate was a horrible move. Glendora can't have that happen again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in some type of Coke car next year. With not the main brand or Mello Yellow then one of their other brands.

I don"t tthink anyone is counting him out yet. As a matter of fact I don't really think he's even staggering but time will tell. He's a smart dude and a very good business man and probably has 3 aces up his sleve. This is/was more of a mental exercise that anything based on fact. Whatever happens, I wish him the best.

I sincerely hope John Force is employing each team and the same amount of ppl next season. I root against no one in racing more them his entire team and I recognize the need his involvement on RACEDAY for my interest level. No doubt!!! Not to mention for Funny Car, I want to see cars capable of big speeds, low ET's, and the ability to go from A to B. Of course, all the while hoping my fav team can beat him. Best of luch to JFR on the biz side.

If 2015 rolls around with JFR down to 2 Funny Cars I can't see how Force could let Prock and Neff leave. Keep Zippy with Hight and move Prock over to Courtney's car. I don't know what John's budget will look like, but if there's a way to make this happen I'd recommend it.

If dad is having troubles with corporate America believing in the NHRA, there isn't a bright future. I would bet that nobody will be interested in any Force kids as drivers.

Worst case for JFR crew.
Tuners, crew members will always be evaluated on what they can brings another team. If Forces guys are better than what the competition already has on their payrolls, they will be pushing the competition out.

I wouldn't shovel dirt on John just yet. I think he will put something together before seasons end. It probably won't be the kind of money he thinks he's worth..
This is the NHRAs biggest litmus test to date, and you can bet the Glendora is helping to call in any corporate cards they might have. If their biggest star can't find backing, just what does that say to anyone considering motor sports sponsorship, and investing in the NHRA?
After letting Prudhomme down by not helping out, and then having their biggest name unfortunately liquidate was a horrible move. Glendora can't have that happen again.

Why would anyone expect NHRA to do anything? JFR hired a marketing firm to help with finding sponsorship. As you stated NHRA did nothing for Snake, Bernstein, or anyone else that has been faced with calling it quits. Do you really think they'll suddenly decide to get involved now? What they should do is wishful thinking, what they've done in the past is more indicative of what they will do. It's been over a year since Ford and Castrol made their intentions known, and nobody has stepped up and signed on the dotted line. Sorry, but I don't think NHRA is doing anything to help Force, nor do I think they will. And even if for some reason NHRA decided to take action and help Force now, it's already too late. For the most part, companies already have 2015 budgets in place. It's not like JFR is closing the doors, they've still got Robert and Courtney with multi-year deals. And Brittany's future is undecided, she could sit a year and work on sponsorship for 2016, and so could John for that matter.

Last edited:
Does anyone here know if NHRA is or isn't helping him or anyone else? Remember the NHRA is also always looking for new sponsors, such as for national events. The fact is, as has been stated many times, it just isn't easy. Never has been. And remember also, the sports biggest budget deals, Bud and Castrol, started very small, and evolved over many years. So really, when was the last time someone landed a new deal, an anchor that was 2-3 mil/year? Maybe AJ with Al Anabi?

Ever wonder if he has a deal in place but he and NHRA are trying this "he might be done" bit to help drive ratings and/or attendance. If people think these last few races will be his last maybe they show up/tune it. Not saying that is a bad move, just thinking out loud

Does anyone here know if NHRA is or isn't helping him or anyone else? Remember the NHRA is also always looking for new sponsors, such as for national events. The fact is, as has been stated many times, it just isn't easy. Never has been. And remember also, the sports biggest budget deals, Bud and Castrol, started very small, and evolved over many years. So really, when was the last time someone landed a new deal, an anchor that was 2-3 mil/year? Maybe AJ with Al Anabi?

Tom Compton stated in his recent interview with DRO that they help any teams with sponsors that ask for help.

I don't see John retiring. He'll figure something out, even if it means pulling money out of his own pocket. Conrad has had to do that before with his team, why not John?

I don't think John will run on his own dime, he is too smart for that and getting old so he will keep the $$$ he has. Conrad has a lot more money than Force to play with.

Worst case for JFR crew.

Dude you really live in a Doom and Gloom world, you on welfare and foodstamps too? Every freakin post you have put in here the past year is "The sport has gone to Hell in a Handbasket, life truly Sucks!" Its better people like you stay away from the track to be honest!

Given what it is rumoured the team makes in appearance money, let alone sponsorship, I'm pretty sure if they swung a couple of match races between events they would have more than enough for a good racing budget. I'd kinda like the idea of being able to go out to some little eighth mile track on a Wednesday night and see an old school style Funny Car match race (wth modern cars) and I bet some promoters would too.

Ever wonder if he has a deal in place but he and NHRA are trying this "he might be done" bit to help drive ratings and/or attendance. If people think these last few races will be his last maybe they show up/tune it. Not saying that is a bad move, just thinking out loud

I don't think this is a smoke screen or anything like that. If there's an attempt to drive up ratings or help the gate, it's failing miserably. This is football season, and qualifying shows at 2 am won't benefit anyone. And unfortunately the debacle here in Charlotte will hurt. Personally, I think Don Schumacher has the blueprint on how to run a multi-car NHRA team in the 21st century. If it means partnering up with multiple companies for primary sponsorship for X races until you get a 24 race deal put together then you do it if you truly want to race. Looking for a 24 race deal with one sponsor at or around the budget John was getting from Ford and Castrol is insane. And, I don't see John running on his own dime; I think he's already said he won't do it.

Given what it is rumoured the team makes in appearance money, let alone sponsorship, I'm pretty sure if they swung a couple of match races between events they would have more than enough for a good racing budget. I'd kinda like the idea of being able to go out to some little eighth mile track on a Wednesday night and see an old school style Funny Car match race (wth modern cars) and I bet some promoters would too.

Last I heard it takes about 3 million per year to run a nitro car and be competitive. That works out to better than 100k per race. Don't think there are many tracks willing to pay those kinda bucks or even half that for for a match race.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back