I think I'm going to have to get another Computer! (2 Viewers)

Toejam

Nitro Member
We had a pretty good rain storm come though town around 6PM tonight and it caused a Power outage, the most rain we've had in 6 weeks. However it must've killed my Mac! It won't turn on at all! I'm using my brother Macbook right now in case some of you are wondering. I'll take it into our Apple store tomorrow and see what I'm looking at, if they tell me it's $150-200 to fix I might just get one of the new 23" units.

I've had IMac's for years.

I'm on my 2nd.........the first was replaced after almost FOUR years (I bought the extended warranty) due to incessant overheating issues, it was a 17" screen, G5 processor. Apple replaced it free of any charge, with a 20" Intel based IMAC, AND a $250. gift card for my troubles.:)

I took the credit and put it towards a new Mac mini for my wife (she already had a large screen LCD monitor).

You really can't go wrong w/Apple IMO..........I love 'em. So does my wife, she had PC's for many years.

No way will I EVER buy a PC.

REX

This unit is an Emac that I bought in '04, been pretty good till now. Sure don't need to spend $1,500 on another one, I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

Joe, storm wasn't that bad here, only got about 1/4 inch. Not much lightning either, but you bring up a good point and I probably should have unplugged my laptop to be on the safeside.

This unit is an Emac that I bought in '04, been pretty good till now. Sure don't need to spend $1,500 on another one, I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

Welllll...........

I hear ya' on that.

I bought a eMac on ebay around three years ago, reconditioned, I think it was a '02 model or something, to use for a backup because the G5 was in for repairs a couple times, and I had nothing else to use.

Cost me about $300. with the shipping.

I still have it and don't want to part with it.

If you do buy a new model Apple whatever, get the extended warranty, you'll be glad you did.

IMO Mac support is second to none, helpful until a issue is resolved.

good luck.

REX

You did check the basics, right? Different outlet,do macs have a master power switch as well as the one in front? Surge protector?

You did check the basics, right? Different outlet,do macs have a master power switch as well as the one in front? Surge protector?

My G5 Imac had a reset inside, I know because I had been back inside there many times:( when i was having problems.

It was not on all the models though.

I dunno 'bout the eMac, I have never had a problem with it.

They are built for schools & education.

Take a pretty severe beating, and hold up well.

REX

Well don't ask me how, but they got my Computer to come on at the Apple store! The kid who looked at it told me that If I had unplugged it from the outlet for even a few minutes, it would've re-booted itself! I've never seen that on any Mac, but I'm glad I'm back to the 21st century!

Most computer power supplies have an internal reset that you can do by just unplugging the thing for even as much as a few seconds. When in doubt, reboot. When that doesn't work, power it down, unplug it, walk away (stop cursing at it :) ), and come back. Works miracles.

Advice - get a laptop and stay away from Windows Vista.

I have a lenovo, love it. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back