I think I know where the sponsors are going (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
Did anyone happen to catch the coverage of the season opening Anaheim 1 Supercross race on Speed? Excellent coverage and great racing! But aside from that I couldn't help notice the presence of several former NHRA team sponsors--notably Monster (Kawasaki and series title sponsor), Rockstar (Suzuki), Canidae dog food, and Jaegermeister to name a few were all sponsoring teams for this season--interesting because although the tab for sponsoring a 2 bike Supercross team is certainly less than an NHRA pro team, but if signage is of any importance, the MX bikes don't offer much room for display, and the rider's jerseys are so littered with associates that they don't have much area for display either.
The point of all of this is that the sponsors that have left NHRA for 2009 have not gotten out of motorsports; they have just moved to a different, perhaps more friendly venue. I'm thinkin' that maybe someone from NHRA should be asking why they feel their sponsorship dollars are better served in racing organizations other than NHRA? What do the maters think?

All of those companies you mentioned were there BEFORE they came over to the NHRA.

All of those companies you mentioned were there BEFORE they came over to the NHRA.
Really? I know Monster and Rockstar were there, but I was under the impression that Canidae and Jaeger were new for this year. Bill, do you think overall cost was the main reason for them staying with Supercross and bailing on NHRA? Just curious.

Did anyone happen to catch the coverage of the season opening Anaheim 1 Supercross race on Speed? Excellent coverage and great racing! But aside from that I couldn't help notice the presence of several former NHRA team sponsors--notably Monster (Kawasaki and series title sponsor), Rockstar (Suzuki), Canidae dog food, and Jaegermeister to name a few were all sponsoring teams for this season--interesting because although the tab for sponsoring a 2 bike Supercross team is certainly less than an NHRA pro team, but if signage is of any importance, the MX bikes don't offer much room for display, and the rider's jerseys are so littered with associates that they don't have much area for display either.
The point of all of this is that the sponsors that have left NHRA for 2009 have not gotten out of motorsports; they have just moved to a different, perhaps more friendly venue. I'm thinkin' that maybe someone from NHRA should be asking why they feel their sponsorship dollars are better served in racing organizations other than NHRA? What do the maters think?
:cool: If I were to guess, I would say that the demographics are more in line with each companies marketing direction. There is more money to be made from the 18 - 30 year old Gen X crowd when it comes to those type of products. I would imagine they aren't that interested in us "older" drag racing folks.

On that note. There is also something to be said for a motorsports series that repeats on TV, over, and over, and over and over, and over, and over.
If you're talking about sponsors seeing their name on the tube.
Good point, Steve...man, that ought to make placement on Unique Whips pure gold!

These people (Monster, Rockstar, Jaeger, etc.) are chasing a very hard demographic to corner: Gens X, Y, and so on. The under-30 world. They have the attention span of a tsetse fly, unparalleled technical savvy so they can avoid ads, and a strong skepticism for anything that smacks of "marketing". They spread their attention over a variety of media (tv, video games, magazines, facebook, youtube, movies, billboards, etc.) and will do almost anything to avoid being pandered to (tivo, ad blockers, and so on).

The only sure fire way to reach these people is to catch the lightning-in-a-bottle of being the latest "big thing". When that happens, you get viral videos and t-shirts and celebrities and all the attention you can handle. But even that only lasts for hours/days.

It's not surprising they would choose a sport that targets those people rather than one with the demographics of NHRA. But even that has to be a shot in the dark for them... Tough times to be a marketing person.

>>>>>>>>"They have the attention span of a tsetse fly"<<<<<<<<

Chris... GREAT post, showing an innate understanding of this market segment!

Maybe YOU should be in marketing, yourself!

That tsetse fly comment had me rolling on the floor, laughing!

Or, maybe you could write comedy for Leno and Letterman....

I dunno, but you're funny; I'll give you that!

Bill, still laughing in Conway, Arkansas, where there's not much to laugh at...

Last edited:
Those energy drink sponsors seem to be big in Moto X here in new zealand too , I don't follow the sport but I am allways seeing Vans and Pickups with Bikes and those companies names plastered on them going around .

I wonder why Coca Cola Doesn't sponsor anybody in Drag Racing , they own the series sponsors , and aparently aren't doing too badly at the moment . I was reading a press release they released when Pepsi fired 3000 people coca cola said they wont fire anybody they will just change the way they do things and if any of you have braught a coke lately the packaging has gone reall basic they have gone into let the products quality make the sale mode .

I think it would be cool is Coca Cola sponsored somebody

Interesting Thread. Hopefully NHRA will revoke their in place rulings about competing companies sponsoring cars. It's limiting the system way more than helping, . And isn't this what we do, compete? Competion amongst marketshare for commodity based business is what makes our world go round.

Interesting Thread. Hopefully NHRA will revoke their in place rulings about competing companies sponsoring cars. It's limiting the system way more than helping, . And isn't this what we do, compete? Competion amongst marketshare for commodity based business is what makes our world go round.
Why thank you, Nancy! An interesting idea does come out of Nebraska every now and then--consider our one of a kind Unicameral Legis......aw never mind.

Drag Racing has one chronic flaw that will always limit sponsor money. It is better live than on TV.

TV actually hurts the sport. Over the years I have invited people to see the nitro cars. They always say the same thing.

I have watched it on TV. It looks boring.

NASCAR , Motocross and INDY cars all are better to watch than in person. You can see the whole race and follow the drama.

Once I have gotten someone to the race they are hooked. They will even watch it on TV.

The problem is; there are only 22 cities where someone can see them live. That limits the appeal for a sponsor on TV.

Most of the U.S. population has no clue and could care less about anyone in the sport.

When I ask the average person have you heard of.....
Only Don Garlits name is recognized most of the time, next is Shirley or the Snake.

The only recent drivers anyone ever says they recognize is John Force or Tony Schumacher. That would be about 3 out of 10.

Until you can figure out a way to broadcast Drag Racing where you can shake the entire house, cause them to miss a heart beat, blurr their vision and have them feel shock waves hitting them in the face while watching it on TV. Drag Racing will always be limited to the spectator crowd which will limit sponsor appeal .

Also

Our economy is not even close to hitting the bottom. I have been saying for the last ten years this was coming to the U.S. and when it does . Drag Racing will be one of the first things to sink.

Buckle your chin strap

mike

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back