I Finally see an NHRA rig!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Being here in Albuq. with I-40 going through I've seen several Nascar and other Motorsport rigs either on the Highway going through, or around town. But never have I seen a NHRA Pro rig anywhere around here, until last night. I was at one of my favorite Music clubs which is part of a hotel, it's called Malarky's. I left to go home around 10:30 and walking out I see a Del Worsham Checker Rig in the Parking lot! I was like whoa! Then I thought....weren't they in Vegas for Testing? It could have been a show car for all I know but it was a full '53 footer so who knows.....;)

Surprising that we see so few considering it is I-40, huh?

I got exicted the other day when I saw a Hoosier truck going by ;)

Me and a buddy have an awesome Tradition on Tuesday and Wednesday prior to the mile high nationals. We both work for Fed Ex Express, in Downtown Denver. His house is located in ARVADA and overlooks I-70. He lives about 5 miles away from Morrison, which is where Bandimere Speedway is. We go into work in the morning, Run the AM BOX SORT, and launch all of our couriers. At about 9am, we leave for the day and rest of the week on Vacation. We head to a small little "HOLE IN THE WALL" Mexican Resturaunt that sells the only GOOD CARNE ASADA here in the Denver Metro Area. We get our CARNE "ON" and head up to his roof with a cooler of beer in hand. Usually there is a Ball game on the radio, and we put the lawn chairs up there and WAIT!

Right around 11am the BOYZ start showing up. On tuesday we had 23 rigs pro and NHRA SAFETY SAFARI Rigs showing up, in the period of 2 hours! The First rig this year was Fast Jack's MTS Hauler, (Which Ironically, he WON THE EVENT THIS YEAR) We also counted about 75 sportsman rigs that day. We hang out on the roof getting some sun, drinking beer and listening to baseball on the radio. We do this every year and it get's us PUMPED for the race. Of course, he is usually watching the race and I'm putting down water in the burnout box!

Thursday we get our Credentials, DO THE COORS BREWERY TOUR...and head out to the Mopar Block Party!

It's amazing how pumped up you can get when you see an NHRA RIG Drive by!

Timmah!

My wife always asks me how come we never see an NHRA rig on the road in all our many travels. Well finally this March it happened. We drove from NYC to Cedar Key Fla. for a week vacation and the Gainesville race. While stopped at a gas station about 30 miles from Gainesville Greg and Jasons rigs came by. Unfortunately my wife was in the bathroom and when she came out they were gone.

Being here in Albuq. with I-40 going through I've seen several Nascar and other Motorsport rigs either on the Highway going through, or around town. But never have I seen a NHRA Pro rig anywhere around here, until last night. I was at one of my favorite Music clubs which is part of a hotel, it's called Malarky's. I left to go home around 10:30 and walking out I see a Del Worsham Checker Rig in the Parking lot! I was like whoa! Then I thought....weren't they in Vegas for Testing? It could have been a show car for all I know but it was a full '53 footer so who knows.....;)

Joe,

I think you saw the real deal they did not test in Las Vegas. My wife and I saw part of the Safety Safari going through Searchlight on Saturday.

Dan

Last edited:
I was working in Kentucky last week, and on Friday I saw Reichert's Rislone A-Fueler heading south on I-75 between Cincinnati and Lexington.

The place to be in Vegas for rig spotting is the truck wash off Cheyenne and I-15 on Wednesday morning about 9am. EVERY pro rig is lined up there to get cleaned up before heading to LVMS.

Every day when I go home from work I pass by Paul & Shelly Howards house and shop where Tom Conway keeps his cars, about a 1/2 mile up the road from our shop.

what a great story from Denver, Tim. When we like 12 we use to ride our bikes and sit close to an overpass overlooking I-5. We would go there on friday and watch the funny car teams come up from Orange County to Portland for 32 funny cars. They all had chapperells back then and I remember seeing Ed "the Ace" McCoulloch and even the popular Dale Van Gundy drive by among many others.

Last edited:
I remember driving up to Indiana in the early 80's and pulling up on a pink Chapparel trailer in the Memphis area with Pioneer logos all over it, that sure pumped me up!:D

The place to be in Vegas for rig spotting is the truck wash off Cheyenne and I-15 on Wednesday morning about 9am. EVERY pro rig is lined up there to get cleaned up before heading to LVMS.

I can't understand why all these teams care about clean Rigs so much, I few mud splatters and Bugs never hurt anyone!:p

Last edited:
Years ago I remember reading about a guy out west that would set up and take really nice photos of the rigs as they passed by. Seems like it was in AZ or somewhere with a similar setting. Anyone ever hear about this?

Years ago I remember reading about a guy out west that would set up and take really nice photos of the rigs as they passed by. Seems like it was in AZ or somewhere with a similar setting. Anyone ever hear about this?
I saw that too, there was a story in National Dragster about him.

I remember that as well, he would hang out off of I-5 North between Sonoma and Seattle when they ran Sonona first.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back