NHRA diversification (1 Viewer)

FC138fan

Nitro Member
I'm sorry if someone brought this up already, but I haven't read anything on the subject on my casual use of this site. Realize the following paragraphs are full of my opinions. You have the right to disagree with me.

I am a huge fan of the NHRA and drag racing. Now I know the NHRA has tons of divisional events (of which I've gone to a few) where they run the sportsman classes up to Alcohol cars. To me personally, if I'm going to pay $200 plus for 3 days of racing, I'd like to see more of the high dollar, high speed heads up racing, not classes such as stock, super stock, super gas etc.. DONT GET ME WRONG - those classes are great to watch and they have their place.. but I think they would be better at smaller events where one can go spend $30 for a day of watching them (I couldn't take 3 days of those classes alone).

Pro stock bike.. All the sportsman (sub Alcohol) classes - has the NHRA looked in the stands when they are running? I know people will read this and be like I love pro stock bike! But the empty stands speak for themselves.

Why is pro modified an exibition class and not being run at every event? Why don't they have other "exibition" fun races such as jet rigs, jet dragsters, high horespower altereds, or nostalgia funnycars and dragsters. Why is pro stock bike still around, cant they be top fuel Harley's.

I know because some of those classes are dangerous... I haven't seen a Top Fuel Harley run in over 10 years, but I still remember watching that bike go thinking how great it was, how close to the edge of the seat I was, how exciting it was!-- How that 1998 IHRA World Nationals was the best race I've ever been to (even with 1/2 the top fuel cars, no fuel funnycars, no record times, no pro stock bikes)

Why is pro modified an exibition class and not being run at every event?

Might be due to the popularity of the class coupled with the fact that pros don't pay entry fees? :rolleyes:

Always follow the money! :D

When something's popular enough, you can get people to do it without paying them. (or, get them to pay YOU to LET them do it!) There were no big money bracket races that I know of in the 70s when drag racing was huge. When NASCAR became hugely popular, I heard of $50,000 dirt cars running for $1,000 purses. Guys would lose money to go out and play Mr. NASCAR.

Last edited:
Pro stock bike.. All the sportsman (sub Alcohol) classes - has the NHRA looked in the stands when they are running? I know people will read this and be like I love pro stock bike! But the empty stands speak for themselves.

Honesty, I don't think NHRA cares that the stands are empty during the sportsman classes. Picture this...

If you go to the races and spend the entire time in the stands watching every class, the only money you spend is for the ticket. On the other hand, if during the alcohol classes, comp, stock, super stock, super comp, and super gas, you get up, go to the nitromall, go grab a burger and fries, a beer, ect, they make even more money off of you.

While the NHRA cares about the show on the track, getting you into the pits to spend money is just as important.

The "pros" used to race divisonal events.

I can watch sportsman racing (Comp SS stock and S/St) all day long.

What drives spectators to the pits is the .90 cars,the delay boxes and throttle stops have ruined these classes.The 10.90 cars are more closer to running all out,and the 8.90 dragsters all look the same.

My real opinion......All cars have their place at all events.That's why we have different classes.

I'm like Chris, i'll stay and watch the Stock, SS , Comp and alky cars too. At Seattle i went with a buddy who got up and left after Comp when the Alky and Pro cars were in the lanes. Different strokes for different folks.

I also feel the throttle timer crap has ruined good racing. Nobody can be expected to understand what it's about and when both cars do it side by side what advantage is there?

Make me NHRA president and i'll get rid of that in one race. If your 632" Super Gas car can run 7's i'll give the 9 second cars ten lengths!

The .90 classes are some of the best and tightest racing in all of drag racing. I admit that it can be hard to get your noggin around, but once you do, or better yet, once you race it, it's very cool.

I know this is not a popular position, and someone here will promptly use the phrase "stab and steer". But there's a reason why so many of the stars of today excelled in the .90s -- it's extremely competitive, takes exceptional tree skills, and there's more driving and tuning than most people recognize.

Jack Beckman is a former Super Comp national champion, Hot Rod Fuller won 13 national events in the class, the Force ladies all cut their teeth there, and when Dave Connolly wants to keep his amazing tree skills sharp, what class does he run? Super Comp.

There's plenty to like at every national event. I watch nitro, pro stock, and Super Comp. I have no use for the bikes, or the people in their wheel standing station wagons with dualing breakouts. But that's my taste. You watch what you like... OK? ;)

Sundays, I don't leave the stands... period....
Firdays and Saturdays, I'm in and out of my seat all Morning long... come afternoon, I don't leave it until the last pass down the track...

3 weeks!!!!!!!!!:D:D

d'kid

Yes there are always people in the stands for all classes, and yeah different people like different things. I agree with some of you folks on the more stock cars that run on the index are fun to watch and that the .90 cars -- well aren't that entertaining. But there are many local and divisional events where one can go and tune their car and have fun with it. Shouldn't a national event with those expensive tickets show racing that is keeping fans in the seats.. wanting to come back for more?

ALthough I have to admit if I was in the stands the whole time I wouldn't get to watch the Kalitta's warm up the car.. which is part of the expierence.

I guess I'm just jealous cause I enjoyed those pro mod cars so much, but they don't come up to brainerd (but only make a few events that I don't have the time or money to get to), and instead - theyre running cars and bikes that certainly the majority of people going to these races do not want to see.

And would it hurt to have a few jet cars, jet rigs, TF Harleys scattered around? Everyone should see / feel Bob Motz shaking the ground once or twice in a weekend.

I'm not knocking the .90 classes at all...I am going to run the 10.90 class (no electronics though) next year.But I feel that watching the 8 and 9.90 cars take off, then nose dive,isn't real fun to watch.It's also real hard to explain the class to first timers to the races when they nose dive.The dragsters are all the same...usually some engine builders big block chevy and a whoever is the popular guy chassis. I'd rather see any class of drag racing run all out,even if you are dialing in.

The dragsters are all the same...usually some engine builders big block chevy and a whoever is the popular guy chassis.

Was just running at Woodburn a week ago, there were 18 Super Comp cars running. One roadster, 17 dragsters. Two small blocks (one in the roadster), the rest big blocks, but no more than two from any one builder. The chassis were all over the map, I think Tom Yancer was most represented with four, but there were Undercovers, T&Ts, McKinneys, and some I didn't recognize.

The .90 classes are some of the best and tightest racing in all of drag racing. I admit that it can be hard to get your noggin around, but once you do, or better yet, once you race it, it's very cool.

I think it's like bracket racing, though. More of a participant sport than a spectator sport. The strategy of either is great but, I think you have to do it before you can really appreciate it.

I think it's like bracket racing, though. More of a participant sport than a spectator sport. The strategy of either is great but, I think you have to do it before you can really appreciate it.

You're almost certainly correct. Once you've been inside it, or very close to it (a friend/family member racing it) it's easy and fun to watch. Otherwise, it's confusing...

i agree. If you have been involved in it you will be compelled to watch it. Everyone likes there own deals, and the TF harleys are no where close to as cool as the Top Fuel in line 4 cylinder motorcycles. Something about 5.80's at 240 mph really get the blood flowing.

I am a huge fan of the NHRA and drag racing.

Me too...

If they would look they would see me. While I admit, I will get up when sportsman classes run, but it's usually just long enough to visit the restroom and grab a bite to eat. That's why I missed the Mater meeting in INdy :D busy watching TA/D, FC.

Like others have said...to each their own.

You're almost certainly correct. Once you've been inside it, or very close to it (a friend/family member racing it) it's easy and fun to watch. Otherwise, it's confusing...

How much fun is it to be in the pits? All your information indicates that your next run should be a certain number ending in .005 and you're debating with your partner whether to dial up or down the number? Are you confident enough in your car and your predictions to dial hard or do you play it safe, possibly opening the window for your opponent by a hundredth?

When you and another car have packages in the ohs or teens and your true margin of victory is less than ten thousandths?

When you're not running, you're sitting there watching the rolling car show go by as other classes go up.

Yeah, once you've done it, you watch other peoples' races in a whole new light because you realize the emotions they're going through. Anyone here who has never done it ought to at least take the min van out to a track and enter it in street class. AFTER you find out what day their test and tunes are so you can get reaction times that won't come with newspapers to read the next time you're on the line!

Last edited:
When I first got started in drag racing. There was no such thing as losing because you went too quick. When that stuff started, I couldn't get into it and never have been able to.

When anything like that takes to the track, I am in the pits watching someone take the cylinder heads off.

Other than pro mod, if it has doors I can't watch it either.

I'm sorry if someone brought this up already, but I haven't read anything on the subject on my casual use of this site. Realize the following paragraphs are full of my opinions. You have the right to disagree with me.

I am a huge fan of the NHRA and drag racing. Now I know the NHRA has tons of divisional events (of which I've gone to a few) where they run the sportsman classes up to Alcohol cars. To me personally, if I'm going to pay $200 plus for 3 days of racing, I'd like to see more of the high dollar, high speed heads up racing, not classes such as stock, super stock, super gas etc.. DONT GET ME WRONG -

Do you realize how much revenue is generated from each sportman car. The NHRA doesn't care what you want. Also,the Funny car people don't want the Pro Modified people there in the first place.

How much fun is it to be in the pits? All your information indicates that your next run should be a certain number ending in .005 and you're debating with your partner whether to dial up or down the number? Are you confident enough in your car and your predictions to dial hard or do you play it safe, possibly opening the window for your opponent by a hundredth?

When you and another car have packages in the ohs or teens and your true margin of victory is less than ten thousandths?

Just lived that situation two weeks ago. Debating in my head in the staging lanes, wind changing constantly, my daughter behind the wheel. As she rolled into the water box, I radioed to have her change the number, and it worked. We ran 8.904 to his 8.907 -- we had a .007 window to beat him and we did it. Now to be fair, she also treed him (.015 to his .030), so we really had a .022 window. But I don't care who you are, that's fun racin'...

,the Funny car people don't want the Pro Modified people there in the first place.

How come the funny car people do't want the pro mod people there in the first place?

I thought all the sportsman racers would chime in and say how great the sportsman classes are. And you are right.. but I would pay more for a ticket if they phased out the cars sub alcohol, phased out the pro stock bike, and brought in more fun exibition cars, pro mod cars, nostalgia cars etc... You said that the sportsman cars bring in revenue to the NHRA.. the amount of which I admit I have no idea. But how much would ticket prices go up of they phased them out and brought in more entertaining cars? Do you think more people would come to the races if this were the case? I guess it's hard to tell because higher ticket prices would drive people away. Maybe theres a balance.

I'm just saying I think some sportsman classes should be in smaller venues such as divisional or local events.. with cheaper ticket prices. All those people who love the sportsman racing could go enjoy those events. And if the price were right, I would go too. But keep the National events special, with high horsepower, high dollar, high excitement racing that comes into town once a year.

Also, (I think everyone knows this) the NHRA better care about what the fans want because its the fans who are going to go drink the powerade, use the castrol oil, and fram filters that they bought at the Checker auto parts. If you lose the fans.

Last edited:
Let me correct myself. The PS and FC people don't want another PRO category. I'm sure they were glad when PS truck went away. IMHO, the PM's put on a better "show" than both FC and PS. Why would the FC and PS people want popularity AND purse competition anyway?? BTW Sportsman entry fee for each car at a National event is $250, Pro's get in NC. What do you think your ticket price would be if they brought in filler acts (wheelstanders, jet cars, fuel bikes etc.)? :eek: Sportsman are cheap fillers for NHRA and a reason for each spectator to go buy stuff + It's "intermission" for many people. I know it's whiz time for me when they bring out the .90 classes.:D Parameter's may change for current Pro classes,but don't look for any new ones.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back