Houston 2007 Nationals (1 Viewer)

Joker

Nitro Member
Well it was different. Especially not having JFR there. It just doesnt feel right when you look across the rows of rigs in the pits and dont see the Castrol area. The memorial service for Eric was nice. I thought the tribute was good as well. One word would sum this event up though: Weather.

Twice we were minutes away from racing and it started pouring again. Big thanks to the safety safari and other track workers who hung with it all weekend. First time I have ever seen a helicopter used to help dry the track.

It was nice seeing JR Todd win. Happy for the team and him b/c of his close friendship with Eric and b/c of the whole crew chief gate deal.

It was great seeing Joe Hartley go rounds. It was the best I have ever seen him run. Congrats guys.

I was cool to meet Fast Jack's parents in the stands. They seem like great people. Mr Beckman introduced himself to the guy beside me in the stands b/c he said something nice about Jack and then we all started talking.

Enjoyed seeing Mike Ashley's Evan Knoll paint job. That thing is sweet looking.

It was good to have Jerry Toliver back at the track even though he didnt make a pass.

A thank you to all the drivers who spent hours at the ropes on Saturday talking and messing around with the fans.

Nice to see Cruz have a decent weekend. Maybe he should pay JFR to stay away for the rest of the year. Wayne looked pretty happy.

Pro Stock was a great race this weekend. They were all pretty close.

PSB was RED CITY. 7 out of 8 were red and I heard that some of the ones who won were actually red also just not as early as their opponent. I think they need to do something about it. It was ridiculous really.

Pro mod put on a decent show. I met the guy who drives Matt Hagan's hauler and he seemed like a real nice guy.

Ofcourse it was always great to see Josh Hernandez in the Dr Moons Rage car win. Though I have to say if Scotty Jr would of won it wouldnt have been too bad.

I feel bad for all the sportsman guys that are in the mud pit that is the sportsman pits. You would think since the Angels own a construction company they could pave the whole area. They were pretty much told they couldnt move there rigs or anything or be charged $250 from what I heard and that the wrecker service was told not to help them. I hope that wasnt true. I know there were alot of pissed off sportsman guys.

Gotta give Lee Callaway and his crew a shout out b/c they were parked in the Gulf of Mexico basically. They had water pumps out trying to get the water out of there pit which was several inches deep plus the rain tore down there canopy on the trailer.

Speaking of sportsman, how about Mike Manners in super comp. 8.93 et 218 mph. Its unbelievable. I believe thats the fastest pass in the history of super comp.

Then seeing Snake's trailer on fire. That was interesting. Glad no one was hurt.

And despite the weather the crowd was good. That was the most campers I have ever seen there.

And as always, it was cool to hang out with Joe, Greg, and Kelly on Friday.

All in all, a decent weekend at the track though a very long one.

Last edited:
awesome post Justin......I was thinking the same thing myself......except the part about meeting Beckman's parents and hanging out with Joe, Greg, and Kelly....I missed out on all that...

Awesome thoughts Justin! It was nice visiting on Friday, too. Sorry I missed you yesterday. And sorry for the short phone convo after the final. I had been on the internet so much on my phone yesterday checking for run updates and chattin' with people 50 yards away. I guess I kinda burned up the battery. It was on it's last legs. Funny.....what did we do when we didn't have this kinda technology? Oh, yeah! We got up off our butts and WALKED down to say 'hi'. lol

Just a couple of other points to add. Bill Reichart's A/FD was amazing. Don't forget this is the track that Joe Hartley lost a wheel on, swapped ends and then hit the guardrail. Great to see and independant team advance that far.

I've been attending races for 34 years now and in the way of weather frustrations this was the worst. Huge kudos to the staff at HRP and the NHRA for making the best of it and to the fans who stuck it out. Weather is part of our sport and we just have to deal with it. I was amazed at the number of people that stayed and walked through ankle deep mud to get to their seats.

On a side note my buddy Rick who was driving one of Sammys wreckers this weekend told me yesterday that they pulled lots of racers and spectators out of the mud for no charge.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back