Here I go again...... (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
Hey all my 'Mater friends!!!

Just wanted to give everyone an update on what I've been up to....

So 8 months ago, I was laid off after 13 years at my job. So I took a position in the tire wholesale industry. Then in December, a week before Christmas, the company I went to work for (AmPac Tire) was bought out by their biggest competitor (ATD). The the waiting game began, as they slowly started to close down our warehouses because they had warehouses in the same area, and even though we were told we would all have jobs (yeah right.....and if you believe that, I have some property for sale....:)) the lay offs started to come. Then in March, they announced that May 29 would be the last day we ship out of our biggest warehouse (since changed to June 26) so I decided to become proactive.

Well the 13 years at the shop paid dividends again, because my sales rep from an auto parts supplier put me in touch with someone regarding a Factory Rep type position, and I start Monday, May 4!!!! My current boss will get his 2 days notice tomorrow.....not exactly professional, but gotta look out for number 1!

Who am I going to work for you ask?? They would be a associate sponsor for one of the NHRA mega-teams........Gates Belts and Hoses!!!! So I will be in attendance at Sears Point, rooting on the DSR guys!!!!

Hey all my 'Mater friends!!!

Just wanted to give everyone an update on what I've been up to....

So 8 months ago, I was laid off after 13 years at my job. So I took a position in the tire wholesale industry. Then in December, a week before Christmas, the company I went to work for (AmPac Tire) was bought out by their biggest competitor (ATD). The the waiting game began, as they slowly started to close down our warehouses because they had warehouses in the same area, and even though we were told we would all have jobs (yeah right.....and if you believe that, I have some property for sale....:)) the lay offs started to come. Then in March, they announced that May 29 would be the last day we ship out of our biggest warehouse (since changed to June 26) so I decided to become proactive.

Well the 13 years at the shop paid dividends again, because my sales rep from an auto parts supplier put me in touch with someone regarding a Factory Rep type position, and I start Monday, May 4!!!! My current boss will get his 2 days notice tomorrow.....not exactly professional, but gotta look out for number 1!

Who am I going to work for you ask?? They would be a associate sponsor for one of the NHRA mega-teams........Gates Belts and Hoses!!!! So I will be in attendance at Sears Point, rooting on the DSR guys!!!!

Well it's always good to see another Job in Waiting! I got laid off in 2000 just after my 40th birthday, and it hit me like a Ton of Bricks!

Well it's always good to see another Job in Waiting! I got laid off in 2000 just after my 40th birthday, and it hit me like a Ton of Bricks!

I really lucked out Joe. I would hate to be in the position of looking for a job in the current market.

You should probably start up your own magazine 'Eye Candy Monthly':D

Good stuff, Alan..and I wouldn't worry about the 2 days notice..hehe

Geez..I was unemployed at 50. I worked for the VA for 20 yrs..quit..went to school and was in the puter business..Mac and Winders supporting software for 7..that folded and I'm wankin out.

Got back on at the VA and still get to keep my 20 yrs..so I'm happy now..and still doing puter stuff.

It all works out Alan..for those that work it out. Good job.

Congrats on the new job. These days even having a job seems a minor miracle.

Awesome news Alan! Be sure to tell them we are appreciative of their sponsorship on the DSR cars!

BTW, I passed thru Tracy 4 times in the last few days.
(I'm in Fremont right now)
Forgot you were there. Did you go to the funny car show at Sac?

Well, hope to run into ya at Sonoma.

Last edited:
Awesome news Alan! Be sure to tell them we are appreciative of their sponsorship on the DSR cars!

BTW, I passed thru Tracy 4 times in the last few days.
(I'm in Fremont right now)
Forgot you were there. Did you go to the funny car show at Sac?

Well, hope to run into ya at Sonoma.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

I moved to Lathrop about a month ago, but I'm still close to Tracy! I wasn't able to go to Sac, but I do plan on going to the night of fire on the Saturday in June (I think the 27th).

A friend of mine has done a lot of paint and detail work on the Marc Meadors Outlaw Pro Mod, so I'd like to see it run.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back