Has Anyone Been To These 3 Tracks? (2 Viewers)

NitroRichFire

Nitro Member
Maters, have any of you all been to all 3 of these tracks?
Bristol
Las Vegas
Sonoma
If you have, which track did you like the best, as in a fans point of view? And if you are blessed to be a racer, which track did you find best as a racer's point of view? Oh, thanks for the information ahead of time!
:)

I've never been to Bristol, but between Sonoma & Vegas I liked Vegas best. That's not to say Sonoma's bad, it's just that Vegas is better - IMHO. It has a great layout, there's a steady flow of Air Force jets coming & going from Nellis (almost a mini airshow) and parking (coming & going) is pretty good.

I have been to Sonoma. The pit side grandstands are a little far from the track for my liking. On the other hand, the spectator grandstands located at the starting line are right on the track.

racetracks...

1. Bristol (just too pretty).
2. Las Vegas (best racing if it's cool) and incredible grandstands. Worst for taking pictures. The sun is always in the wrong place.
3. Sonoma. The wine country saves it. And the fact that we have won there twice.

My 2¢

Jim

As a spectator and a racer.I have never been to bristol.(I will go someday) But have been to both Sonoma(about 10 times a year) and Vegas about 2 times a year.Vegas is by far a superior facility.The racing surface and grandstands are better.IMO.As matter of fact that is infineon(Sonoma) in my avatar.

Last edited:
Bristol- Never raced there, but I have been a spectator there. I agree with Jim, just too pretty.
Sonoma- Raced there many times. OK race track. Guys, if your wives don't mind the racing for a few days, spend a few extra days afterward and take them to San Francisco, the wine country and Medocino. They'll love you for it.
Las Vegas- I even raced there at the old track, including the last division race. A race I'd like to forget. A tragic weekend. The new track is great so long as it's not blazing hot.:cool:

VEGAS - best facility
SONOMA - best weather
BRISTOL - best overall. if i quit working on the circuit and could go to 2 races a year, it would be bristol and brainerd. bristol for the races and brainerd for something else.(teehee)

We've been spectators and racers at Vegas and it would be hard to top that as a facility. Scenery is desert and Air Force, which for me is great but being from Arizona I didn't notice the heat as much as others might. I look forward to visiting the other two tracks but they will be hardpressed to top Vegas in my book.

Jim, didn't you take some pictures in the shut down area that were killer?

As far as the track, I love it. I can say that announcing is not the easiest there. The angle that you are at, you cannot see all of the sponsors on the cars. In fuel or pro stock, you know all of there sponsorsand it is a moot point. I just want to give the racers and sponsors what they deserve, and that is announcer that talks about them and who gets them there. The tower is awesome though... i would love to see them get staring line camera's that you could see the cars. I know they have them to watch the starting line to prevent the "My car didn't move" situation.

Let me be clear... If I had my choice, I would race there every week. They have the best facilities, crew and track that I have been to.

Last edited:
I've been to Bristol and am planning on going to Vegas and Sonoma later on this year. Although Bristol is a very scenic track there is a lot of walking involved and a lot of very steep hills, that can wipe you out pretty quick. I also remember seeing a lot of tire smoke there. Rich, have you ever been to Chicago? I went to Chicago last year and that is a place I will never miss a race from again. I saw more tire smoke in one qualifying session in Bristol, than I did the entire weekend in Chicago. Bristol is similar to Reading, probably a little more scenic, but the cars don't run as good as they do in Maple Grove. I like Maple Grove better because the pits are on a flat surface with no hills. Besides one of my favorite places to watch racing from is along the fence at 1000 feet at the Grove. Just my two cents but I'd pick Chicago or Reading over Bristol.

Brian makes a good point. Bristol can wear you out. It is a long walk to everywhere (they went more carts at this race than any). The racetrack/bunker embedded in the hillside is quite spectacular though. And lots of Waffle Houses around.

Love Bristol, The Top of the line facility except for the weather all tho this year was great.

And lots of Waffle Houses around.

One thing that sucks about living in Vegas, NO WAFFLE HOUSES! To me, this is inexcusable. It is one of my dreams to open a Waffle House here in Vegas, and a few other places in surrounding areas. I always make it a point when I go to Phoenix to stop in that Waffle House there. I like mine smothered, chopped, scattered, capped and diced with iced tea so sweet it will rot your teeth!

As for the tracks, I live in Vegas so I am somewhat biased, but I believe we have got the best drag strip in the world, and I have been to many of the stops on the present National Event trail. I haven't been to Bristol since 1993 and I have never been to Sonoma though. I am still somewhat embarrassed I have not made it to Sonoma, especially given my present predisposition for big California Cabs and Zins.

Last edited:
Can't speak for Vegas or Sonoma, but Bristol would be tough to beat due to the beautiful surroundings of Thunder Valley! And the sounds are awesome with the echoes. Yeah, there is quite a bit of walking uphill and downhill, but hey, that's the kind of exercise that does you good! Vegas has more amenities outside the track than Bristol, but for pure racing (weather cooperating) it would be hard to top Bristol's Thunder Valley. I can't wait to go back!

PS: I was at Sonoma 20+ years ago when it was known as Sears Point, but it wasn't like it is now since they totally rebuilt it, and it was just okay back then. The location was great, although nothing, and I mean NOTHING was close to the track back in the late 70's or early 80's when I went.

I attend Sonoma every year, and have since 1998. They have done a great job with some of the renovations, other than the pit side grandstands being moved further back from the track. On the plus side, you get shade in the early afternoon, and the seats have backs, so they are nice and comfortable. I'm hoping to attend a race in Vegas next year, and check out another of Bruton's great facilities.

Haven't been to Sonoma, but Bristol is by far the best facility, absolutely stunning... Vegas is a close second, but maybe my favorite due to the nightlife associated with it!!! Also, Joliet is just as nice, but I'd take the other two first...

I had never missed a spring Vegas Natl. Event, but we decided to go to Bristol this past April instead of attending the SummitRacing.com Nationals and it was a good decision. Bristol Dragway and the surrounding area is absolutely gorgeous, it`s easily the most scenic track I`d ever been to (out of about 10-11) and the people in that part of the country were very nice.
Vegas is great in its own right, the place is immaculate and the racing is probably better than it is at Bristol (at least it was this year). Pretty cool having Nellis Air Force Base so close by too, I remember the first spring race in `00, there were as many people looking up at the sky seeing what was flying overhead as there were watching the racing. Probably won`t go back to Bristol for awhile because it is cross country and there`s always the rain factor...but it`s worth the trip at least once.
As for Sonoma, I`ve never been. One of these years I`ll take two weeks off work and make the drive down I-5 after the Seattle race.

We've never been to Sonoma, but both Vegas and Bristol are very nice facilities! You simply can't beat Bristols view but Vegas isn't exactly bad as far as that goes, and like Chirstopher said, watching the fighters flying overhead is an experience in and of itself! Vegas could also be a little more expensive(for obvious reasons).

OR you could ditch those 3 and go with option #4, Brainerd! Where you can go to the only "Zoo" in the country where you'll actually be encouraged to feed the animals :eek: :D

OR you could ditch those 3 and go with option #4, Brainerd! Where you can go to the only "Zoo" in the country where you'll actually be encouraged to feed the animals

The Zoo!!! Man, If the tree’s in that campground could talk!!:D

Speaking of which…… Brainerd is just around the corner, I better bring my extra liver this year!!:D

Hey Jason, Will you guys be there this year??:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back