Hanna's New Jet dragster (1 Viewer)

Back when I was a assistant to the track photogs at Ct dragway, I used to "get" to shoot pics from different places than they would. (I.E. "get out of my way kid-go shoot at 1/2 track.") One Sunday the jet cars were running. I was told "go down to the 2nd turn off + get a shot with the chutes out. Whatever you do, make sure you stay on your belly when they go by." Seemed like a strange request-but ok. Now back then, the motors they used were bigger + the cars were heavier--and used big 'chutes. I see the cars come toward me + got ready. The smoke puffs from the cars at finish-the 'chutes come out-and the cars tires come off the ground about a foot! My jaw dropped-the my hat blew far off my head-and I get a face full of everything that was up-track of me. Those chutes were so big, the would lift the cars-and make a real big hole in the air.
Not my pic-I found it on Google images--but it shows what it looked like.
JET-DOUG-AT-GREEN-VALLEY.jpg

Gotta tell ya, I'd sure hate to be in that seat right next to the engine when this happens:

turbine_failure1_zps10255de3.jpg

That would really screw up your whole day. :(

I don't know how the side pod could be unsafe, jet funny cars are that way you just dont see it with the body on.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back