Garlits in Denver (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Garlits never ceases to impress me. At 70something, he is still the coolest drag racer on the planet. He did a nice job in the booth, and did anyone catch the Mopar commercial with Big and his slingshot? The car was featured in Hot Rod a few months ago, and it's one of his old slingshots with a new-style factory Hemi, blown on nitro of course. The commercial is promoting the new factory race Challengers coming out. Amidst all the doom and gloom, very cool stuff.

Garlits never ceases to impress me. At 70something, he is still the coolest drag racer on the planet. He did a nice job in the booth, and did anyone catch the Mopar commercial with Big and his slingshot? The car was featured in Hot Rod a few months ago, and it's one of his old slingshots with a new-style factory Hemi, blown on nitro of course. The commercial is promoting the new factory race Challengers coming out. Amidst all the doom and gloom, very cool stuff.

He is and always will be , " BIG " Great commercial ... there was one like it many years ago, Don said it that one " When I for ride on Sunday .. its lasts about 6 seconds " If anyone has a wad of spare money, buy one of the Factory Challenger Hot Rods , put it away for 20 years or so. And sell it for $1,000,000. Thats if there is still gas around.

I loved watching him all weekend, when he was standing there with Capps and Scelzi cracking up laughing was really neat.

Big Daddy complimenting Antron's driving ability when he was in the booth has to be one of the most priceless moments in Antron's career! Very Cool!:cool:

btw he DROVE from florida out here...saw him driving into the pits in his dodge truck that says "big daddy's" on the tailgate!

Don Garlits IS drag racing!

We've had Big Daddy at both of our 'Musclecar Reunion & Nostalgia Drag' events (Kansas City and St Louis) and he's just been awesome! He's a great guy, very humble and very willing to share his time with you. He'll be back again at KCIR this fall. Make plans now...he's the man!

I still remember Kenny Bernstein being interviewed several years back and Kenny referring to him as "Big"...not 'Garlits', not 'Big Daddy'...just "Big". That says it all.

Love Big and all he's done for the sport. Don't think NHRA exactly gives him all the respect he deserves. That was nice of Judy Lily to let him win the battle of the drag packs too:cool:

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but on the "cool scale", it's a 25 on a scale of 10 :D You might have to paste the link into Windows Media Player, but it's worth it despite being a 30Meg file http://www.mo-pod.com/podcast/heritage/he_garlits_040108.wmv These kids and their hot rods - will they ever grow up? (I hope not!) Also, those with a watchful eye may have noticed that the new Mopar commercial was filmed at Bradenton Motorsports Park.

Big is 76 years old,but you really couldn't tell it.He's forgotten more than most of the fueler racers know today!!

I was thinking that Don was starting to sound old now. I guess I always figured that Superman would never age.

That Challenger drag pak car sure got my attention, they said go to Mopar.com, I did but could not find it. Anyone else try. That would make a
good stable mate for my 64 Thunderbolt! ( I raced a new 64 Dodge Hemi and had a new 65 when my Dodge dealer (sponsor) went belly-up. Man, I wish
I had kept those cars!! BK

That Challenger drag pak car sure got my attention, they said go to Mopar.com, I did but could not find it. Anyone else try. That would make a
good stable mate for my 64 Thunderbolt! ( I raced a new 64 Dodge Hemi and had a new 65 when my Dodge dealer (sponsor) went belly-up. Man, I wish
I had kept those cars!! BK
Go to Google.com Type in Challenger factory race car. Photos of several paint schemes. Very nice. Not street legal. Would kick ass.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back