Future of IHRA Nitro Funny Car? (1 Viewer)

davey

Nitro Member
Has anyone heard any more about the future of the class? The last rumor I heard was that they may not be back unless a sponsor is found.

If not, I wish the drivers would band together and form their own deal. Partner up with any regional Pro Mod organization and run an eight car Nitro Show with an eight car Pro Mod show and book it in with a track's weekly program. Run it Chicago Style and have the track cut a few of their bracket classes for the night in order to get the show completed in a timely fashion. Probably fiscally unfeasable but definitely a show I would enjoy as a spectator.

It would be a shame for the one Pro Nitro Class that has had full fields all year to just "Go away" from the IHRA.... not just for that reason ..but they have brought alot of new faces to the stands to watch them as well....

Billy

The IHRA FC class is great for a number of reasons. It gives the guys that want to race Nitro Floppers a place to do it, and not have to spend the $$$ The NHRA guys do to be competitive. Terry Haddock, Matt Hagen, Paul Lee, Andy Kelley, Steve Macklyn, DCjr etc- a place to race and have fun. All the cars are pretty close performance wise, and it adds a LOT to the IHRA line up.

The class actually got me interested in the IHRA again. I'm with you guys. I like watching the "little" guys (still spending a lot of money :)) duking it out. I find it a lot more interesting than the high dollar Corporate deals in the NHRA. I also like the speeds they run and the 1320' distance along with a few other things.

If anything needs to be cut I would rather they cut Top Fuel and start an A-Fuel class. Plenty of those cars around.

I wouldn't expect the TF guys to go anywhere.. they got their fans too..... with Amalie sponsoring a TF car and a race or two.... they are here to stay .... i just hope some one steps up to sponsors the NFC class....

in the world of rumors.. they are just looking for someone to pay the purses.... which by my math is between 1.2 and 1.3 million for the year....

billy

Dave it wouldn't be the first time. I don't know how long you've been a fan, but IHRA did drop TF yrs. ago. Nitro F/C was their top class.

Hi Paul,
I've been a fan for about 40 years but didn't know they ever dropped T/F. I was away from the sport for a few years while I drank my way through college. :p
The '80s and I either didn't get along or we got along too well. I haven't decided which. :eek:

I'd rather they didn't cut anything but I would still like to see an A-Fuel class.

Hope everything stays on track (!) for them this year.

Last edited:
In 1984 IHRA dropped Top Fuel and had only Funny Car until 1988...when Billy Meyer bought the company and put F/C back in the fold as well as TAFC and TAD. IHRA then dropped Funny Car in 1991 or 1992 and stuck with just "Pro Nitro Dragster" until last year.

In the event that IHRA is no longer able to accommodate the Funny Car class, why not convince Kenny Knowling to add them to the ADRL? EFC (Extreme Funny Car)...135" wheelbase maxium, any type of funny car or altered body, let 'em eat!!!! That would be FUN!!!

In 1984 IHRA dropped Top Fuel and had only Funny Car until 1988...when Billy Meyer bought the company and put F/C back in the fold as well as TAFC and TAD. IHRA then dropped Funny Car in 1991 or 1992 and stuck with just "Pro Nitro Dragster" until last year.

In the event that IHRA is no longer able to accommodate the Funny Car class, why not convince Kenny Knowling to add them to the ADRL? EFC (Extreme Funny Car)...135" wheelbase maxium, any type of funny car or altered body, let 'em eat!!!! That would be FUN!!!

Don't think ADRL will support Nitro FC. It cost too much money. Look at the payouts differences. They don't need them to bring people, thet already have them.

Hi Paul,
I been a fan for about 40 years but didn't know they ever dropped T/F. I was away from the sport for a few years while I drank my way through college. :p
The '80s and I either didn't get along or we got along too well. I haven't decided which. :eek:

I'd rather they didn't cut anything but I would still like to see an A-Fuel class.

Hope everything stays on track (!) for them this year.

Hi Dave, I'm a long time fan too. But I couldn't remember the years IHRA was without TF. Thanks to Wes, (post below yours) he's got it down. Thanks Wes.

Now as far as dropping any class I hope not. But if we have to drop a Nitro class...I'm a dragster lover, I'ld drop FC & keep TF. But thats just me.

Well, Wes' post explained why I had no clue. I graduated from college in '86, toured with a band for a year, got married in '87 and started following drag racing again in '88. From '82 through '87 I still went to races every now and then but didn't pay too much attention to what was going on. Thanks for the info Wes.

I also hope the IHRA keeps Nitro Funnies. They put on a hell of a show at NED this year. Not sure how well dropping the class would go over with the casual fan as most folks really dig them.

Personally I think Nitro Funny Car is safe. Today's IHRA isn't the old bunch of hicks they once were. The poor decisions of yore won't be repeated by the folks at the helm today. I'm sure they see what puts butts in the seats and after a few seasons with the fuel coupes in the mix there is enough data to support their long stay.

seems insane, there are more floppers than rails out there now. IHRA races seems to have more people now then they did a few yearsa go. Heck with funny cars there, cheaper tickets and no countdown my attendence to ihra races has increased the the Nhra side has decreased. It would be a shame to see the funny cars go away

Man, was I wrong. Hopefully the new detached ownership will have a different opinion once seeing the show in person.

It gives the guys that want to race Nitro Floppers a place to do it, and not have to spend the $$$ ... Terry Haddock, Matt Hagen, Paul Lee, Andy Kelley, Steve Macklyn, DCjr etc- a place to race and have fun.

I wish the IHRA would come up to Brainerd. I remember going up to Quaker City once a year in Salem OH for the divisional event. They ran all sportsman through Alcohol. The times were not record setting, nor very consistent. But that I thought was part of the excitement - watching those guys put it together and make runs - occasionally they would make that one kick ass run, occasionally they would run like crap.. but I imagine it was racing like the old days. You could sit in the stands, spread out - have a sandwich that you packed in a cooler that morning - and enjoy the races.

I picture thats what the IHRA could be like (minus the sandwich) if it provided a place for people who want to race for the fun of it - people who don't push their equipment to the breaking point - people on a budget racing for themselves, for fun, for bragging rights.

Although without fuel funny cars in IHRA it is slightly less entertaining, they still have TF. Basically its the same thing: same motors, same noise... just a different shape. They didn't have fuel FC's in '97 , '98 at the world nationals in Norwalk, but it was still the best drag racing show I've ever been to - even with the drivers I've never heard of running cars I've never seen before running times that were relatively piss poor.

Variety is the spice of life, and with the IHRA you had that variety. Otherwise your stuck in the NHRA where everything is identical - same 16 or so drivers - same 16 or so cars - same times - same speeds - you can't tell one race in New Jersey from one race in California.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back