From the Horses Mouth! (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Just got my July issue of Hemmings Muscle Machine and every couple months the Snake has a column in there. This month he was talking about the Indiana Mecum auction that he had his Pontiac Funny car that ran the .63 at Indy. He came right out and said "we were running nitrous". I know, I know this debate has raged for years - did he or didn't he. I read most of them and this is the first time I have ever heard the Man Himself even comment on it, and he admitted it. Whatever but do we finally have the last word?

Nitrous was legal back then in the nitro classes. Billy Meyer was also a big fan of running it.

Just got my July issue of Hemmings Muscle Machine and every couple months the Snake has a column in there. This month he was talking about the Indiana Mecum auction that he had his Pontiac Funny car that ran the .63 at Indy. He came right out and said "we were running nitrous". I know, I know this debate has raged for years - did he or didn't he. I read most of them and this is the first time I have ever heard the Man Himself even comment on it, and he admitted it. Whatever but do we finally have the last word?

Since he ran a Tenth quicker than anyone had at the time, I believe him!:rolleyes:

Yep, I remember in the early eighties, was at one of the first Northstar Nats, and the announcer was talking about Shirly Muldowny's nitrous setup.

It was fairly well known Snake was on the bottle then. That run was a big part of the rule change soom after to not allow nitrous anymore.

I read an interview with Snake a few years ago where he talked about his Pepsi car running on the bottle and leading to what he called "throw-a-way" motors, but they had a tenth on the field so they ran it. I wish I could remember when or what magazine. I never throw any drag racing stuff away, I'll look for it on a boring afternoon this summer.

Seen that race on youtube, Billy Meyer was asked about Snakes runs by Steve Evens and Steve asked Billy whether he thought Snake was shutting off early because his times were quick but bugga all mph. Billy Meyer had a greast response in "Its shutting itself off I think".

The rule book simply didn't state it was illegal. Remember, the rules only tell you what you HAVE to do to be legal and what is prohibited. A LOT of things are in the GRAY.:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back