Fram: cold air intake system (1 Viewer)

rollemup

Nitro Member
......I was wondering if these really work, I'm thinking about getting a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 pick up truck and I was thinking about putting in the performance chip and a cold air intake system by Fram, any thoughts and or opinions. Thanks Maters :cool:

......I was wondering if these really work, I'm thinking about getting a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 pick up truck and I was thinking about putting in the performance chip and a cold air intake system by Fram, any thoughts and or opinions. Thanks Maters :cool:
Be sure to do a little research to see how GM and their dealers (especially your local dealer) feel about performance chips, modifications, and warranty. It seems to vary greatly but usually depends on the local dealer / service department and the quality of your relationship with them. There's a law called the Magnuson-Moss warranty act that deals specifically with this issue. Basically it says that a manufacturer has to prove that a specific modification caused a specific failure in order to rightfully deny a warranty claim on an otherwise-covered failure. The reality, however, is that if you get into a p!ssing match with a dealer over a warranty claim and make a move to invoke Magnuson-Moss, you'll end up in a seemingly endless battle that will serve absolutely nobody and perhaps keep you from having your vehicle for weeks or even months while a determination is being made as to the cause of a failure. I never had any problems with my Mustang mods while it was being serviced under warranty but the only modifications I had at the time were gears, shifter, and a K&N filter.

So, check out some of the Internet message boards to get some other owner's experiences with the specific truck you're interested in and *especially* take the time to talk to your servicing dealer's Shop Manager / Service Manager to see what they will and won't accept.

Last edited:
From the SEMA page:
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may also be helpful. Under this federal law, you can sue on breach of express and implied warranties. The main point of interest here is that the Act says warranty coverage may not be conditioned upon the use of only the vehicle manufacturer's parts unless the parts are provided free of charge. In other words, use of a non-carmaker product should not void your warranty unless it caused the problem.

This applies to service items, not modifications. Service items being filters, oil, plugs etc.

My understanding of this (and I am not a lawyer) is....

a:I installed the SuperDuperFlow aftermarket air filter box and tube and it dusted my diesel engine. Thats gonna cost me.

b:I installed an OEM spec aftermarket direct replacement air filter and the engine dusted. Shouldnt be my problem and both manufactureres will have to address the issue as long as I installed it properly.

The bottom line is if you want to play, you have to pay and if modifying your vehicle from stock is what you want to do, there is no reason you should hold the maker of the vehicle responsible for your work. Smart thinking says not to give anyone a chance to deny your warranty unless your ready to pay out of pocket.

This link is far from a quote of the law but it makes my point.
http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2000/July/04.html

In 1984 I had my brand new Camaro backhalfed so its not like I dont like to modify my cars.

I realize this may not be popular opinion.

Bob

I have an '04 sierra 1500 (5.3) - in asking around, i've heard the same
comment from 3 different automotive shops (1 gmc dealer & 2 private shops)
the combination of a high-flow exhaust and an air kit (fram/k&n) will
provide extra horsepower and mileage.
I put the high-flow exhaust on 2 weeks ago and noticed a difference.
will follow up with air-kit soon.
as stated in previous post, warranty would certainly be a huge concern
with a new vehicle.

Steve...

To answer your question in most cases they do work and you will see better mileage and power depending on your driving style. Your mileage may go out the window with your new found power and freshly installed lead foot:D

Bob

Steve...

To answer your question in most cases they do work and you will see better mileage and power depending on your driving style. Your mileage may go out the window with your new found power and freshly installed lead foot:D

Bob
That's certainly the way it worked for me, lol! :D

I recently put a K & N Intake on my 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. I use the truck mostly for towing a travel trailer, and I am only going to get so many mpg, I don't care what I do. But the new intake sure does make the engine sound better!

I do know that after buying a Superchips unit and changing the engine setup to the towing package, I got a lot more power out of the engine.

Murdock.

do they make them for an 01 dodge ram with a 5.9? if so i gotta get one . support cory mac :)

Steve,
Both Buzzz and I drive new Crew Cab Duallys with the Duramax diesel engines and we both have the AiRaid intake air system (similar to that of the K&N or that Fram) and have seen awesome results from the modification.

My dealer has seen my truck for some routine maintenance however, nothing was ever said against such modification. Buzzz has the Hyper-tech chip installed and I have a Predator. They also made huge differences in our performance but neither reduced our mileage. The opposite, in fact, is the case. Do your homework to determine which is the very best for you but I have an AiRaid intake on every vehicle on our lot now. If you chose the AiRaid, call the company direct and speak with Chris Thompson. He's an executive VP who is also a drag racer and he will help you out with everything.
Good Luck!

http://www.airaidsales.com/

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back