Force's Ford Fuel Motor (1 Viewer)

I think it's pretty cool, I'm just curious as to what will make it different than the current fuel motors, other than maybe having a Ford part number? I'm a big JFR fan, but I can't help but feel bad for the Austins being snubbed in their effort to develop a Ford engine for blown alky.

Not sure on the Facts, but I think(?) NHRA banned the Austin Ford because of the Larger Bore spacing(4.90). Not sure what the Standard 526 Bore is, but it obviously was a huge advantage.

A Hemi has a 4.840" bore spacing where a BBF has a 4.900".

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that JFR/Ford is developing a block and head combination that will have "brand identity" as opposed to any huge revolutionary designs. There is always room for improvement to the fuel motors (strength, maintenance/servicablity, etc.) and with today's CAD and CNC offerings one would think you could indeed improve on the Hemi design. Ture, after 30+ years you might say that anything that could be done has been done. But, if you could start with a clean sheet and only work within the given parameters, a better mousetrap just might be invented. If nothing else, though, JFR/Ford will have a motor with a disctinctly different look to it (valve cover configuration, mag placement, general exterior shape) while maintaining the "spec" internal dimensions.

The "spec" parameters refer to crankshaft centerline vs. bore centerline, crankshaft centerline vs. camshaft centerline, valve angles/attitudes, bore spacing, deck height, deck angle, and a few other minor internal dimensions. Things like head bolt pattern, external block and cylinder head shapes, webbing, gear drives, etc., etc. are all open to design changes.

It would be fairly easy to develop a unique valve cover for the Hemi to make it look simlar to the Boss 429 style...but when you have the resources that Ford and JRF employ why not try and build a new and potentially better system? While we're on the subject...what's keeping GM and Toyota from doing this very same thing with Snake and Kallita, respectively? Talk about a built-in marketing tool!

Last edited:
About 10 years ago I was at the Design Engineering trade show in Chicago and Dave Zuchel had a new designed top fuel motor on display there. It was eventually banned by NHRA because of bigger bore spacing which would make racing more expensive with no off the shelf cranks & cams.
Why are overhead cam motors banned (such as the Mcgee) from top fuel cars?

Like any parts in a modern fuel engine could really be called "off the shelf." Yeah, off the shelf after they've been completely made by the aftermarket and PUT on the shelf. LOL, I haven't heard of any billet cranks with factory part numbers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back