Force's Ford Fuel Motor (1 Viewer)

If they can get this program going then it will be great. Not a huge ford fan myself but it will be nice to see something different.

I think it's pretty cool, I'm just curious as to what will make it different than the current fuel motors, other than maybe having a Ford part number? I'm a big JFR fan, but I can't help but feel bad for the Austins being snubbed in their effort to develop a Ford engine for blown alky.

I wonder what austin coil thinks about having to make a ford motor after working on mopars all those years . Isnt the only reason they are making the ford motor because ford wouldnt let them go top fuel without a ford motor?

What a huge project this will be. There has been over 40 years of development of the Chrysler HEMI for the fuel classes. They'll spend a ton of time and money trying to develop a new motor design that will be competitive with what everyone else is using. JFR would be better off moving to a GM or Dodge body...that would be time better invested than trying to build a completely new motor just to satisfy a sponsor. Wow......

It will be interesting to see what it looks like. If, as indicated in the article, the pieces are being built to "NHRA specs" than it's probably going to look a lot like a standard hemi with a blue oval on the valve covers. I hope I'm wrong. Sure would be nice to see something different out there. I think it would add some spice to the nitro classes.

It will be interesting to see what it looks like. If, as indicated in the article, the pieces are being built to "NHRA specs" than it's probably going to look a lot like a standard hemi with a blue oval on the valve covers. I hope I'm wrong. Sure would be nice to see something different out there. I think it would add some spice to the nitro classes.
LOL, I thought the same thing. How much R&D goes into Valve Cover design.:)

Maybe they'll run the Mags on the left side? It's going to be a huge change, for bragging rights.

What a huge project this will be. There has been over 40 years of development of the Chrysler HEMI for the fuel classes. They'll spend a ton of time and money trying to develop a new motor design that will be competitive with what everyone else is using. JFR would be better off moving to a GM or Dodge body...that would be time better invested than trying to build a completely new motor just to satisfy a sponsor. Wow......

So you don't think the Ford/Force brain trust is ignoring current technology do you?

By the rules, the design will be similar and, as a result, this will be another alternative spec fuel engine. The article pretty much sums that up.

Let's hope that John tests this new piece in testing and not at a national event. Would hate to see him "pull a Warren Johnson" and not qualify because of "engine development!"

Is the concept that there is room (obviously) for some diversity in the fuel classes as far as motors are concerned, and that will be a benefit to all?

I'm confused then, because so far, Ford and JFR haven't been too giving in the sharing department, as all the 'Stangs I see live within the same stable... If the motor comes to pass, will we only see it in JFR cars, leaving everyone else with a 2-3 year technological DISADVANTAGE once they finally (if ever) get to run one, similar to the bodies..

And with the doors being thrown open for new ideas, what happens to the motors that have been tossed out in the past- in particular, the McGee deal and the quad-cammer that Spike Gorr was running in his T/F car? Do they get to re-approach for approval? And if no, why not? :confused:

I am curious if Alan Johnson

over at DSR will do futher developement of his proposed fuel motor.
Supposed to be a better mouse trap? (read a better piece)

It's all about the bore spacing. If NHRA makes the Fords run the same bore spacing and Cyl. head configuration as the present hemi to me Coil and Co. will just be reinventing the wheel!

It's all about the bore spacing. If NHRA makes the Fords run the same bore spacing and Cyl. head configuration as the present hemi to me Coil and Co. will just be reinventing the wheel!

About 10 years ago I was at the Design Engineering trade show in Chicago and Dave Zuchel had a new designed top fuel motor on display there. It was eventually banned by NHRA because of bigger bore spacing which would make racing more expensive with no off the shelf cranks & cams.
Why are overhead cam motors banned (such as the Mcgee) from top fuel cars?

if you want to learn about the mcgee engine go to Mcgee Cams Jr. Dragster Racing . There is also another australian engine that was banned call the sainty btv (billet three valve) wich you can learn about here ::: DRO ::: Tech Section - The Sainty BTV Top Fuel Motor - 6/7/05. The chrysler hemi engines are my absolute favourite engine and I think they are the best and don't want to see them made obsulete . I will admit though that you can't ignore technology . There is also another dohc motor that I don't think ever saw use , it was made by a man named joe schubeck and was called the eagle

You all might also want to know that chryslers engine tech department when they released the 426 hemi designed and planned to produce a over head cam 426 hemi , but no running engine exists . I think there are 4 around somewhere .

That BTV engine sounds great

Now if NHRA would allow new engine designs into competition maybe the cost of racing could be brought down.
20+ runs on a set of rods in a fuel motor , 120lds on valve springs-
I can imagine what a seasoned tuner could do with this motor. consistene 4.40 times on one 4 motors per season. boy what a cost saving.
Oh yea the suits in Glendora wouldn't know about saving money, what with their saliries,

You all might also want to know that chryslers engine tech department when they released the 426 hemi designed and planned to produce a over head cam 426 hemi , but no running engine exists . I think there are 4 around somewhere .

That engine was just pictured on the back cover of one of the Mopar magazines recently. Around 1965-6 Ford brought an single overhead cam Hemi to race NASCAR. Mopar told NASCAR let them run it and we have a twin cam. When France saw that one he told them both to get out, neither are going to run Daytona.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back