Force. The adversary. (1 Viewer)

Redman

Nitro Member
We came into this sport primarily to beat John Force. He is the ultimate worthy adversary. You know the value of your accomplishment by the quality of the obstacle.

After years of disappointment and defeat, we finally beat the giant. But I want to say something about John that everyone in the pits already knows. He is an incredible guy. He does a lot behind the scenes that no one knows about. I understand why he has such a fan base. It is impossible not to have a ton of respect for John and his whole team. That is the main reason it is so satisfying to beat them. Whenever you do, the accomplishment is real.

Did you know... if Scelzi and Force are in a room full of people, there are only two people doing the talking? And both at the same time.

Jim

Last edited:
Did you know... if Scelzi and Force are in a room full of people, there are only two people doing the talking?

That doesn't surprise me one bit! They are both awesome guys and alot of fun to talk to! Hey, did I tell y'all John offered to take me to the bathroom at the Autorama here in Houston? ;)

That's a tremendous compliment Jim.

I've often dreamt of owning a team and though I love Force if I ever had a team, I'd want to beat the best and that's John. First I'd probably try to join his team though. :D

If anyone can consistently compete on the level of JFR though, it's DSR & your man Scelzi though.

That's probably why they're such good friends. When I talked to Gary after he won Vegas2 in 2004 he said he'd spent several days leading up to it at Force's house.

Seriously, I have great respect for TJ... and heck with most the 2nd half still to go, TJ's still got a shot at it...

Once in while I have two very interesting stories I like to to tell. Kelly will like #1.

Story #1.

In 1993 there was this kid (along with his wife) who approached me and asked if he could sit in my Plueger TA/FC at the Bakersfield divisional race. He was a crew member for Darryl Hitchman at the time. He said he never sat in a funny car before.

Because of how I was treated in certain pits as a kid at the old funny car meets at Orange County Raceway I always made sure that if I had time we would honor requests from people. If someone asked me if they could have their picture taken next to our car we usually would have fun by asking them "Instead of having your picture taken next to the car, why not have your picture taken in it!" That was a lot of fun.

We raised the body and he got in. Because he was shorter than me by a bunch the seat sort of swallowed him up. We put the body down and he sat up as high as he could looking out the windshield over the injector. He steered the steering wheel and moved the throttle a little bit.

While he was in my funny car his wife said "Some day he wants to drive a funny car!" I said "Hmmm, sure, right, yea."

We raised the body and let him out. Then his wife asked if she could sit in it too. So in she went.

While she was in the funny car looking out the windshield over the injector her husband, who is standing next to me, says "My dream is to some day drive a funny car!" I said "Oh, good, yea, right."

She got out and they both thanked me and walked off.

I actually forgot all about that story until 1996. I was at Prudhomme's shop picking up the Snake's funny car to deliver it to the Peterson Automotive Museum in my rig (theirs was out getting the COPE paint scheme put on it) for the official unveiling and announcement of their new sponsor and new driver, Ron Capps.

I totally forgot the whole story until Ron reminded me of it. He was the kid in who sat in my funny car that day. Now, whenever I see Ron passing me in the pits I yell out to him "Hey Ron...Remember me?" He says "Hmmm, right, yea, sure." LOL.

I have two regrets. First, not taking any pictures of the Snake's funny car in my trailer (that was dumb). And second, underestimating the determination of some kid named Ron who just wanted to sit in my car (I should have taken pictures of that, too).

Story #2

I just lost (probably first round) at the Final's in Pomona in 1994. I had already been approached by Ron, Dana and Ron August, Jr. about selling my Plueger TA/FC to them. I was buying Anderson's Uyehara car and planned to sit out 1995 to be able to do it (finances).

I think I was sweeping off our pit carpet getting rid of old paper towels pieces and wire tie ends or something when this guy walks up and asks if I would consider letting him drive my TA/FC for the 1995 season. He said he could bring some funding, too. I really hadn't thought much about looking for a driver, although it would have been a smart move for me back then. And I really needed financial help in trying to run the car (as always).

I thought about it for a second and told him no. I told him I made a deal to sell my car, and I wasn't ready to get out of the driver's seat yet.

My wonderful crew guys were upset when they heard I turned him down.

A few months later, I fessed up to him why I really said no. He was a very good driver, and I was a very incompetant tuner. My ability to put him in a car that would match his ability as a driver would be very frustrating for him and I felt he should be able to find a better ride than what I could offer him. I liked him as a friend and fellow racer an honestly felt he could do a lot better if he wasn't tied up with me. When I finally told him all that, he dissagreed and said he thought I could have done a good job and that we would have had a lot of fun together. He ended up driving for Jerry Darien and Ken Meadows.

That was my pal, Gary Scelzi.

My only claim to fame was beating Gary on a hole shot second round at a Bakersfield Divisional race when he was driving for the Miner Brothers. A friend of mine gave me an "I Beat The Champ" button after that. I wanted to add to the button in parenthesis the words "JUST ONE TIME."

I do have a picture of that race. In fact, I have the video (LOL).

So, if Gary would have driven for me back them, he may never have driven for Darien and Meadows. Which means he may never have driven for Alan Johnson. Which means Schumacher never would have picked him up. Which means he would have never won all the world championships including his latest one in Funny Car for JJ's Oakley and Dodge. See what I did for Gary...Hey Gary!!!

RG

PS. I need a sponsor.

I always wanted to be lucky enough to sit around with Scelzi and Force away from the crowd, drinkin a beer. I can just imagine how hilarious the conversations would be

I'm a total sucker for "Rags-to-Riches" stories and John Force is one of my favorites. When you see where he came from, the resources he had available, and the obsession to compete and win, you appreciate him all the more.

Kinda like Jim Jannard to me! I can't get enough of these success stories!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back